Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Model Range

anchorman

Well would anyone like to know how the top end models appear to differ in spec around W Europe?

Portugal: there are three trim levels, Active, Comfort and Exclusive. The latter gets 18in wheels, smart entry and start, and power tailgate. Cruise, rain and light sensors, Touch, reverse camera and Hill Assist Control are already on the Comfort. Touch n Go is €690.

Spain: Active, Advance and Executive. Latter gets 18" wheels, power tailgate, xenon lights with AHB (auto dip?), LDW (lane departure warning), and electric sunroof. Navi pack with TouchPro, reversing camera and Blind Spot Monitor is €1500.

France: LeCap, Life, [business only for professionals?] and Lounge. Latter has reverse sensors, TnG Plus (incl voice recognition, reverse camera?!), xenons, LDW, BSM, Smart Entry and Start . Life already has rain and light sensors. HAC on all. They mention that the LDW and BSM are limited to current stock of the Life?!

Belgium: Active, Comfort, Lounge, Premium! Lounge has BSM, HAC, TPMS, SES, stop start, TnG. Premium has xenon lights with auto correct, electric sunroof, reverse camera and sensors, LDW, DAC, TouchPro with DAB antenna.

I haven't found any mention of LED rear lights or driver seat memory.

• Like 1

When a spare wheel, power socket in boot and xenons are available I will consider an upgrade.

Perhaps they will appear in the facelift, I guess about 2 years away.

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as it has been interesting reading the model progression. I now have a 1996 Rav4 which I assume is what you call a 4.1 3 door. It's Japanese built for the Japanese market. I don't know if I'll be keeping it being a Mitsubishi/Suzuki devotee. I tend to run old motors as they are cheaper so I am not interested in new models. I have been a Suzuki fanatic since my LJ back in 198* and have had a lot of Vitaras but wanted a change from them and the Rav4 was the alternative in the day. So from Jimny to Rav............I am not so sure it is a good move.

I thought the (early) Rav4 had a centre diff that threw drive to the rear when needed through slippage. Do the later ones have permanent constant four wheel drive.

Hi John, we have 3 99 models here in Adelaide all as per the model in our photo which was only released in Aus. Ours is the "update" model from yours which came out in 97 here to 2000. Ours are all wheel drive but there is a switch on the dash above the aircon button which operates a centre diff lock as per Range Rover of the 80s which locks the front and rear drive together but can only operate like that off bitumen as my wife has found when she has accidentally hit it instead of the aircon button twice in carparks and locked it solid so she could'nt move and had to reverse to unlock it. Works very well too as has just been used extensively over this last Easter weekend over 4wd tracks through sand and rocks etc. Have fitted it with Bridgestone All Terrain tyres since photo here and they work a treat. Bit like your old L.J. where you have a light vehicle with oversize tyres as they are 16" but minus the dual range box.

Hi John, we have 3 99 models here in Adelaide all as per the model in our photo which was only released in Aus. Ours is the "update" model from yours which came out in 97 here to 2000. Ours are all wheel drive but there is a switch on the dash above the aircon button which operates a centre diff lock as per Range Rover of the 80s which locks the front and rear drive together but can only operate like that off bitumen as my wife has found when she has accidentally hit it instead of the aircon button twice in carparks and locked it solid so she could'nt move and had to reverse to unlock it. Works very well too as has just been used extensively over this last Easter weekend over 4wd tracks through sand and rocks etc. Have fitted it with Bridgestone All Terrain tyres since photo here and they work a treat. Bit like your old L.J. where you have a light vehicle with oversize tyres as they are 16" but minus the dual range box.

I am becoming addicted to it but then I like tinkering and oldies often need that. I have the difflock button near the auto stick.

What size tyres can it go up to; I seem to have 8" rimms so I know they will take well over 225s. Underneath the bodywork surprised me as it is in great condition but I think that is because it spent 10 years in Japan.

Well we have 215x70x16 on our 3 as that gives us a taller tyre as a 225 I presume would take it down to a 65 ratio-not sure, but the taller tyres bag along better for sand work than wider 225s which have to push more sand out of the way. Not having the snow on our everyday roads and the salt with it we don't get the rust issues here thank goodness like you do there. Believe it or not a lot of our old Beetles are being exported back to Germany for restorers due to their lack of rust as is Landrovers back to the U.K for the same reason! Like you I prefer the older cars due to their simplicity of repair and no electronic issues to worry about although I was annoyed to find a clutch repair for a manual on these is quoted as 17 hrs labour to do by our local Toyota dealer which staggered me.

Thanks for the info. I am actually sourcing 215 75 16 or 225 70 16. I want just that extra bit of height and the speed runs 10mph fast on the current (front) tyres so the extra rolling radius might help that too.

• 9 months later...

I'm glad I read this thread - I have one of these, and did wonder why the mechanic referred to it as "The 4.2" when it was being repaired last week. There was another later RAV4 in the garage at the same time.

And this the 5 door. Note the bonnet scoop which is exclusive to the D4D engine (Chatman). chatters.jpg

In my opinion it's the best looking of all the RAV4s before or since. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

• 4 months later...

I have a 2007 XTR D-4-D. What model is that a 4.2.3? or 4.3? Is there any way of knowing what equipment it came with? The CD radio has lots of buttons that do nothing and I'm not sure the alarm works (how do I check?).

• 2 months later...

Hi all fellow enthusiasts.

Not too selfish reason for talking but my well loved 1997 5 door was nicked from outside my house on Tuesday night and despite notifying UK's finest it hasn't come home yet. Wife is as upset loosing the rear wheel cover of our late German Shepherd Dog (Smokie).

Not interested in the Insurance Claim. Just want our old family friend back.

Anyone got any ideas?post-150344-0-00600500-1442245038_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 XTR D-4-D. What model is that a 4.2.3? or 4.3? Is there any way of knowing what equipment it came with? The CD radio has lots of buttons that do nothing and I'm not sure the alarm works (how do I check?).

Yours will be a 4.3 (the photo in Fogey's post above yours is a 4.2 - an early one - the later 4.2.5, from late 2003, can be identified by round front fogs and the front indicators in the headlamp unit. There were some other mods but the 4.2.5 is largely the same as the 4.2)

The XTR was well-equipped and should have come with things like cruise control, climate control (as opposed to basic aircon), alcantara seat trim, etc. It's important to read the ICE manual carefully to make sure you know what all the buttons do otherwise you could assume that some do nothing; Japanese operating manuals ain't the best.

The easiest way to test the alarm is to lock the car with the key fob button and then open it with the key. The alarm should go off as soon as you open the door and then switch off when you start the car.

• 6 months later...

i

Hi , I,m looking at buying an 06 Rav 4   xt4 2l petrol, being 06 and at the moment I do not have any other details . How can I tell if the model is 4-2 or 4-3 please.

John

Rav 4.jpg

3 hours ago, J.D said:

i

Hi , I,m looking at buying an 06 Rav 4   xt4 2l petrol, being 06 and at the moment I do not have any other details . How can I tell if the model is 4-2 or 4-3 please.

John

Rav 4.jpg

thats a 4.3 , starts at 06 , 

this a a 4.2 

bhz la bouille.JPG

Thanks very much for the reply, I thought it might be the later one. Took it for a test drive today and decided to buy, collect next week , so you might see a bit more of me in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

i have read this full post and found it very informative, but i have a question, can anyone tell me if my rav4 has any extras with it being a reebok edition or is it only graphics on the side 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I like the 3 door swb diesel but what is the top of the range ? I believe they stopped in the UK around 2006 ?

Regards

John

John, I have a 2006 ravd xtr 4D4. Had it from new. It has sun roof, cruise control, climate control etc. Been no trouble.

Only done about 36,000 miles though -- so just run in really ;-)

Very handy and comfortable car, pretty nippy too...

ex.

23 hours ago, Tail Spin said:

Hi All

I like the 3 door swb diesel but what is the top of the range ? I believe they stopped in the UK around 2006 ?

Regards

John

Xtr in 3 or 5door was the top of the range for the 4.2 , they threw everything into it. Newest 3 door you would get would be on an 06 plate

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

What sort of Price would i need to pay for an XTR 3door 2005/6 ?

Regards

John

• 5 months later...

Any info on the later models 06 & up, any particular years/models etc yo look out for or avoid?

Looking at a 2010 cv 4cyl manual app 160000kms anything to keep in mind?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links