Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Cap (lost Mine)

branney

i was so busy trying to work out how to get a receipt on one of those "pay at the pump" things that i drove off without my cap.

does this mean my petrol will all evaporate away?

is there anywhere i can get a cheap "push-in style" plastic replacement (doesnt have to lock) without having to pay over the odds to get a model-specific cap?

no point paying a lot as may not be keeping the car long (1990 and now jumps out of 5th gear)

most pertrol stations sell generic caps matey. usually green or black. i 'think' its the usual colour specific stuff. green for petty and black for dervs. i may be wrong but they are deffintely available. but yeah, if there is no cap the fuel will evaporate over time. the rate will be dependant on temperature and air movement over the filler opening :)

i was so busy trying to work out how to get a receipt on one of those "pay at the pump" things that i drove off without my cap.

is there anywhere i can get a cheap "push-in style" plastic replacement (doesnt have to lock) without having to pay over the odds to get a model-specific cap?

no point paying a lot as may not be keeping the car long (1990 and now jumps out of 5th gear)

Is your car black with custom exhausts by any chance?

nah, it's red with everything standard (except the petrol cap now!)

most pertrol stations sell generic caps matey. usually green or black. i 'think' its the usual colour specific stuff. green for petty and black for dervs. i may be wrong but they are deffintely available. but yeah, if there is no cap the fuel will evaporate over time. the rate will be dependant on temperature and air movement over the filler opening :)

yeah, lucky it is winter, eh? well no noticable change in level over 1 night - i have stuffed a rag in it for now.

i didn't realise petrol stations sell them - got a quote of £5.75 plus P&P online!

Alright. I only asked because I saw another GTI with exhaust and it jumped out of 5th gear when I was buying mine.

I have to say that the old Toyota's jump out of gears alot. :lol: Is it just GTI's do you think or is it all old Toyotas? It just seems to be pretty common. :)

Alright. I only asked because I saw another GTI with exhaust and it jumped out of 5th gear when I was buying mine.

I have to say that the old Toyota's jump out of gears alot. :lol: Is it just GTI's do you think or is it all old Toyotas? It just seems to be pretty common. :)

well i bought a 1.3 GL with 96,000 on the clock. i owned it over 2 years and it ended up jumping out of 5th, gradually getting worse until i had to sit with my knee holding the stick forward if i was on the motorway!

i bought my GTi with 106,000 and it was fine until about 128,000 but now is starting to do it

can anyone advise what needs replaced, eg one gear, whole gearbox, gear selector or what?

The "push in plastics" are an automatic "Fail" on the NCT here in Ireland. Probably the same with the MOT :(

I left the cap for mine on the pumps, recently. I always use the same filling station. I only noticed it was missing when I went back for a refill. Straight into the Office & asked. Lo & behold, there it was, safely on the top shelf. They never throw them out.

Did you go back & check if it was kept?

The "push in plastics" are an automatic "Fail" on the NCT here in Ireland. Probably the same with the MOT :(

I left the cap for mine on the pumps, recently. I always use the same filling station. I only noticed it was missing when I went back for a refill. Straight into the Office & asked. Lo & behold, there it was, safely on the top shelf. They never throw them out.

Did you go back & check if it was kept?

turns out they had not kept it. in fact i usually put the cap in the slit between the roof and the tailgate, so it probably landed on a corner somewhere. anyway, found a plastic one which claims to pass the MoT (with patented locking mechanism) in ESSO for £3.99, so not too bad...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links