Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'o/d Off' Light Flashing

collbrum

Hi Everyone. Love these trucks and have just bought a beauty, a 96 3ltr auto. All seemed well but have noticed that the 'O/D Off' light starts to flash after just a few hundred yards. It does manage to select overdrive, and if i click the button it deselects no problem as well - but does the light mean there is a more significant problem? if so what is it and how do i fox it? Thanks for any help

The light flashing means that you have a fault code in the gearbox ECU, I would check the fluid levels and any wiring at the plugs on the gearbox, you need to get under the motor, if that does not cure it you will need to read the codes from the ECU, see here http://codes.rennacs.com/Auto-Transmission...ransmission.php

Hi Everyone. Love these trucks and have just bought a beauty, a 96 3ltr auto. All seemed well but have noticed that the 'O/D Off' light starts to flash after just a few hundred yards. It does manage to select overdrive, and if i click the button it deselects no problem as well - but does the light mean there is a more significant problem? if so what is it and how do i fox it? Thanks for any help

hi once you tap out codes it will prob come up with speed sensor no1 which is the usual one, see if the vehicle was fitted with a speed convertor box behind the speedo head these can give a lot of probs (even new ones) the ecu sees wrong info which puts o/d light on and makes it flash, hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestions. Having a bit more experience with the Surf now, i notice that the fault does not register until it tries to get into overdrive for the first time each time i drive it. It changes into o/d at about 60mph the first time but subsequently it changes no problem at about 50mph, of course by then the fault has already registered and i have a flashing light for the rest of my journey. There is no problem as far as i am aware with the speedo. Reading some of the other threads this sounds like it could be the ATF (which appears clean, it's redish and does not smell burnt) or a sticky solenoid in the overdrive box. I'm going to service the solenoids and change the ATF anyway - see what happens :D

I'll update this thread with any progress.

Overdrive will kick in much sooner than that, so what you are feeling is the torque convertor lock up, this will happen around 50-55mph.