Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Steering Problems

Rose365

I bought a Auris 1.6TR in March 2008. After 8k miles I'mexperiencing steering problems, its like constantly driving on ice. The main dealer solution to this problem as been to change the tyres from front to back and set the tyre pressures at 35psi, but I freel this is only a short term fix. Is any one else experiencing similar problems?

Welcome to the forum!

I have the same model but mine was bought in Nov 2007 and handling is great. Your description points to grip issue rather than steering problem and it such case tyres are the first suspect. Is it any better after tyres swap? If it is that is your answer then.

I bought a Auris 1.6TR in March 2008. After 8k miles I'mexperiencing steering problems, its like constantly driving on ice. The main dealer solution to this problem as been to change the tyres from front to back and set the tyre pressures at 35psi, but I freel this is only a short term fix. Is any one else experiencing similar problems?

Hi

I would have thought that your dealer would not have let you have the car back if the problem had not been solved.

As said by greg, how does the car drive now?, is it ok or still iffy, the symtoms you describe are serious in anyones book, and i find it incredulous that they would let you drive away in an unfit car.

There has been a recent steering recall, has your car been in for the mods yet?, my car is the same as yours, i also purchased it in march this year and it went in for the steering mod a couple of weeks back,

the mod consists of a modified capsule and collar on the steering bracket, toyota are also checking the front left drive shaft, and if necessary, are fiting a modified part to that as well.

I can't say that i have experienced anything like you have described, the steering on the auris is i find quite light and responsive and at times it does have a slight push me pull you affect for that reason, when there is a camber or divots in the road .

If you are not happy and the cars steering is still not right, then i recommend that you get a second oppinion .... good luck, and let us know how you get on.

PS,

Regarding the tyre pressure, i think ( without checking the manual ) it should be 32psi , so it would seem that they may be over- inflated now.... not 100% sure on that but perhaps others can advise on that point .

If they are over-inflated,Then the tyre's may wear out quicker accross the centre , plus i would have thought that the steering would become lighter still.

Hi

I would have thought that your dealer would not have let you have the car back if the problem had not been solved.

As said by greg, how does the car drive now?, is it ok or still iffy, the symtoms you describe are serious in anyones book, and i find it incredulous that they would let you drive away in an unfit car.

There has been a recent steering recall, has your car been in for the mods yet?, my car is the same as yours, i also purchased it in march this year and it went in for the steering mod a couple of weeks back,

the mod consists of a modified capsule and collar on the steering bracket, toyota are also checking the front left drive shaft, and if necessary, are fiting a modified part to that as well.

I can't say that i have experienced anything like you have described, the steering on the auris is i find quite light and responsive and at times it does have a slight push me pull you affect for that reason, when there is a camber or divots in the road .

If you are not happy and the cars steering is still not right, then i recommend that you get a second oppinion .... good luck, and let us know how you get on.

PS,

Regarding the tyre pressure, i think ( without checking the manual ) it should be 32psi , so it would seem that they may be over- inflated now.... not 100% sure on that but perhaps others can advise on that point .

If they are over-inflated,Then the tyre's may wear out quicker accross the centre , plus i would have thought that the steering would become lighter still.

How did you receive notification about the Steering Recall? Was it from your Dealer or directly from Toyota? I didn't know there was a Steering Recall and it was not mentioned to me by my Dealer.

Welcome to the forum!

I have the same model but mine was bought in Nov 2007 and handling is great. Your description points to grip issue rather than steering problem and it such case tyres are the first suspect. Is it any better after tyres swap? If it is that is your answer then.

It is better with now the tyres have been swapped but its still not right.

If you haven't got the letter that probably means your car is not included (neither is mine). You can check it via VIN number and the link is in the topic about recall.

What is exactly wrong with your steering? I can't believe that if dealer found something wrong they would let you out as balli hi said.

Not every Auris is affected by the recall, if your car is then you may get a letter at some point.

As there is quite alot of them that need doing they send the letters out in phases.

The above recalls wont solve your problems though.

You say you had the car in march, has the steering always been like this or is it something very recent?

Mart.

Not every Auris is affected by the recall, if your car is then you may get a letter at some point.

As there is quite alot of them that need doing they send the letters out in phases.

The above recalls wont solve your problems though.

You say you had the car in march, has the steering always been like this or is it something very recent?

Mart.

The steering has only been like this for the last couple of months and as gradually got worst, until last week when it got very bad. The steering became extremely light and as I say it was like constantly driving on ice. The tyre change as helped but not solved the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
The steering has only been like this for the last couple of months and as gradually got worst, until last week when it got very bad. The steering became extremely light and as I say it was like constantly driving on ice. The tyre change as helped but not solved the problem.

Hard to believe but it is winter, are you actually driving on ice? :rolleyes:

I don't think I have heard of this problem being reported at the dealership before, but I will check

Kingo :thumbsup:

Do the tires lose grip?

When your front tires lose grip, steering goes very light; like the steering wheel is attached to nothing and turns freely. This happens suddenly because there's no such thing as "gradually losing grip"... For instance, when cornering at high speeds, and there's no ESP, VSC or something like that, when your front tires lose grip, steering goes very light, and when they're sliding you can't change the direction which your car is headed. After your tires stick to the surface, everything returns back to normal. Also you don't need to travel at high speeds to lose the front tires grip... Sharp cornering, too much gas(because it's FWD), harsh clutch control also causes these...

Do the tires lose grip?

When your front tires lose grip, steering goes very light; like the steering wheel is attached to nothing and turns freely. This happens suddenly because there's no such thing as "gradually losing grip"... For instance, when cornering at high speeds, and there's no ESP, VSC or something like that, when your front tires lose grip, steering goes very light, and when they're sliding you can't change the direction which your car is headed. After your tires stick to the surface, everything returns back to normal. Also you don't need to travel at high speeds to lose the front tires grip... Sharp cornering, too much gas(because it's FWD), harsh clutch control also causes these...

No its happened to be driving in a straight line doing 30 mph

I was making slight adjustments and its felt too light

I'm still a bit confused. Is it heavy and then all of a sudden feel light? I just cant imagine it all of a sudden going light, as my Auris is light all the time with a good "feel" to it, very sure footed. I cant imagine it feeling heavy then very light in a straightish line (even making slight adjustments) and does it do it all the time or once a week, what sort of timescale?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Just a thought in my head.... would it be anything to do with the "Speed Sensitive" Power Steering applying maximum assistance at driven speeds, rather than only at parking speeds?

I have the same problem at this time with my Celica TS. It's only starts at 70 mph when the steering goes loose. I have to constanly give the wheel input to go in a straight line. Steering wheel movement is 1 cm. I've reported it to Mr.T and it will be looked at next week.

• 4 years later...

I have only had my auris sr 2 months and it has been back to the dealer 3 times with steering problems .its had wheel alignment ,new steering column,tyre change round, tyre pressure set.It still has the same lightness in the steering and pulls like you have just hit water

Sorry Uncle Buck

New to this .It is a Auris 2.0 D4D SR used 08.It has been a pain since day 1 .Water leak fixed strait away but the steering were do i start.It pulls randomly to the left and right like you have hit standing water,it pulls that sharp if you dont catch it you would mount the kerb or be over the other side of the road.I have had a toyota delivery driver in it when it happens and still they cannot find a problem?.I wonder what would happen if i hit a cyclist ? I am getting now were with the dealer . I have been told by them its the road surface ? but it happens on many different roads .

any help please Chris

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem. The car has had new tyres. Tyre Pressure has been changed. The lightness seems to be very random.

One trip seems fine and secure, and another day it feels very light, I am constantly adjusting the steering when I drive in a straight line.

The computer doesn't seem to recognise that I am driving at high speeds.

Toyota haven't found anything wrong and cannot help anymore.

The torque sensor has been recalibrated, which seems to help sometimes.

I am considering changing my whole power steering system to an aftermarket one that allows me more control.

I hope to hear back from anyone with the same issue, whether you have solved it, whether you know of any aftermarket epas systems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am attached to this car and really don't want to sell it.

Thanks