Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Carina E M Reg

giodoc

Hi All,

I recently noticed that the amber engine shaped light stays on.

What could be causing this. I've looked through posts and people say it could be the CAT and ECU, what is the ECU?

Any help & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,

What could be causing this. I've looked through posts and people say it could be the CAT and ECU, what is the ECU?

Thanks

Hi,

The ECU is the 'brains' of the car. The amber light is telling you that there maybe a problem somewhere and the ECU stores a code in it to enable you to find out what's wrong.

To access this you need to take it to a garage or find someone who has a code reader. They will then plug this reader into the car and can give you a fault code which could narrow it down to which part is faulty.

Is the car running ok?

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi,

The ECU is the 'brains' of the car. The amber light is telling you that there maybe a problem somewhere and the ECU stores a code in it to enable you to find out what's wrong.

To access this you need to take it to a garage or find someone who has a code reader. They will then plug this reader into the car and can give you a fault code which could narrow it down to which part is faulty.

Is the car running ok?

The CAT converter is busted, and it makes a rattling noise, and I feel it lacks "power". Thanks for the prompt reply. Any more ideas on what it could be?

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi,

Is the car running ok?

The CAT converter is busted, and it makes a rattling noise, and I feel it lacks "power". Thanks for the prompt reply. Any more ideas on what it could be?

It could be that an oxygen sensor could be faulty which could then in turn make the engine run a little 'lean' i.e. the ECU thinks that the air/fuel mixture should have more air in it so reduces the amount of fuel in the mixture.

Unfortunately the only way to confirm this is to have a code reader plugged into the car to read the fault code. It would mean, ultimately, a new CAT if your present one is faulty.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, I spoke to Toyota today and they say after a £55 charge to check the car, they approximate an oxygen sensor at £200-£300... If I get a new oxygen sensor, do I then also need a CAT converter...

Apologies for my ignorance...

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheeers

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much, I spoke to Toyota today and they say after a £55 charge to check the car, they approximate an oxygen sensor at £200-£300... If I get a new oxygen sensor, do I then also need a CAT converter...

Cheeers

For future ref.

Here is a pdf file that shows you how to check the codes yourself. check the section on DIAGNOSIS & TESTING INFORMATION.

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgb...ol%20system.pdf sensor testing.

But i hope you sorted your problem

Cheeers

For future ref.

Here is a pdf file that shows you how to check the codes yourself. check the section on DIAGNOSIS & TESTING INFORMATION.

Thank you for this! No the problem isn't quite sorted, instead of paying 200-300, and a new cat system, I went to a local mechanic, who will charge £80 to source and fit the oxygen sensor.. Why do Toyota dealers charge such exorbitant prices!! (Rhetorical question...)..

This site is great, thank you for all your help..

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Might just be down to some dirt man...find the o2 sensor and clean it yourself...that's what my brother did to his motor and he has no probs to date...no more orange engine panel light......

Cheeers

For future ref.

Thank you for this! No the problem isn't quite sorted, instead of paying 200-300, and a new cat system, I went to a local mechanic, who will charge £80 to source and fit the oxygen sensor.. Why do Toyota dealers charge such exorbitant prices!! (Rhetorical question...)..

This site is great, thank you for all your help..

Cheers

careful regarding cheap o2 sensor replacements, you are best trying to find a proper denso one

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,I have a carina e 2.0 estate, I had the same problem with the orange light staying on, lack of power etc.I paid out and had a full diagnostic of which ended up pointing to a wire broken going to the map sensor, you can find this in the engine bay on the right hand side at the rear, two wires go into it via a plug. As soon as I had replaced the broken wire it cured the problem, no more orange light on, full power renewed.

I hope that this can be some help. :eek:

Hi All,

Thanks

Please see my post, from today

Cheers

NPL1970