Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Anti-freeze? And How Much?

VVTIMY

Hi, Due to an accident with our Aygo I've had to replace the complete Radiator, fan and A/C condenser (which was actually quite easy)...

I was wondering if anyone knew how much Anti-freeze I need to put in the radiator or what brand / strength to use?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I don't think I would bother too much about brand but make sure it is not alcohol based.

As far as I am aware a typical 50% mix is advised.

I don't think I would bother too much about brand but make sure it is not alcohol based.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I drained the radiator from the pipe at the bottom of the radiator, then tried refilling it 50/50, started off with a litre of water, which filled it right up! so I've got to drain it again, I'm very suprised it only takes a little over a litre of fluid.

Does someone confirm if the 1 litre of liquid (anti freeze and water) is enough? or am I doing something wrong?

Also in the coolant bottle next to the radiator, should I also be putting 50/50 in?

thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply, I drained the radiator from the pipe at the bottom of the radiator, then tried refilling it 50/50, started off with a litre of water, which filled it right up! so I've got to drain it again, I'm very suprised it only takes a little over a litre of fluid.

Does someone confirm if the 1 litre of liquid (anti freeze and water) is enough? or am I doing something wrong?

Also in the coolant bottle next to the radiator, should I also be putting 50/50 in?

thanks

A look at the owners manual supplied with your Aygo should answer all your questions on capacities and Anti Freeze specifications.

Toyota use a long life anti freeze liquid and summer coolant which is pink in colour and in normal circumstances is good for 10 years or 100,000 miles. Price wise it compares very favourably with other commercial long life anti freezes.

If you buy it from your local Toyota dealer you will know that it is compatible with your Aygo.

The owners manual states 50/50 coolant and water mixture and that it requires a total of 4 Litres fluid. Does anyone know if this includes the coolant reservior?

If I only managed to fill it with 1 litre, can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? the cars still off the road so its not being damaged / driven, I may aswell just get it to a garage if nobody knows on here.

Have you got an airlock in the system?

thats what I was thinking, just done a google for refilling the radiator and some sites reccomend running the engine for a short while with the radiator cap off so the air can clear and "burp" out. Will try that tomorrow I think, first time I've done something like this so was just wondering if I was missing something!

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
The owners manual states 50/50 coolant and water mixture and that it requires a total of 4 Litres fluid. Does anyone know if this includes the coolant reservior?

If I only managed to fill it with 1 litre, can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? the cars still off the road so its not being damaged / driven, I may aswell just get it to a garage if nobody knows on here.

I'm speaking under correction but I think the radiator holds only about half of the fluid - the rest is in the engine block - there might be a drain screw/plug on the engine near the exhaust manifold. Try searching on the forum/Internet.

Sorry, but am I the only one to find it amazing that this chap managed to (easily!) replace a radiator, condenser and fan but doesn't know how much coolant to use?

No offence intended, it just tickled me :lol:

Good skills! :thumbsup:

What happened to the A/C gas? Bet it's making a hole in the ozone layer as we speak :lol:

Just for reference, the pink long life coolant which is pre-mixed is 08889-80072 and is £34.32 for 5 litres (at time of writing)

Kingo :thumbsup: