Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 7 Front Bulb Replacement

GreyRacer

I've just fitted some new bulbs into the front lamps.

The replacement White Prizm LED side lights were easy enough and look very good but the others..Arhhh.....

Managed to do the dipped beams but it took a hour and some skinned kunckles on both hands. Swopped the originals for the new Halfords Extreme Brilliance +90s.

I can't do the mains though and I've got small hands. There must be a knack and I just can't find it.

It's funny, was poking around under the bonnet with mine today to familiarise myself with the car. And I noticed the headlamps, and that very thing did cross my mind - how the heck do you easily change those bulbs?

I'm guessing there must be a recommended way somewhere. :rolleyes:

i couldnt get my hands in to change the bulb, the guy from the rac had some fancy tool that made it ridiculously easy

Changing the headlight bulbs can be hell on earth. If you’re dealing with the drivers side one that generally takes longer in that you have to remove the plastic cover in the engine compartment. Then you pull off the rubber seal protecting the light fixture and unclip the wiring device.

The easy bit is taking the bulb out because you just unclip the thing that looks like a paper clip holding the bulb in. Clamping in the new bulb is the hard bit. The first time I did it I got lucky and it only took 30 seconds to clip the new bulb back in to place. I think you just have to push the clip into a locking position but on other attempts its taken me ages even though I'm doing just what I did first time round.

It’s a ridiculous design and it doesn’t help that my car gets through several headlights a year. As long as you have a torch you can just about point it into the unit and see what you’re doing. Then replace the rubber seal which goes back on easy enough. The driver’s side bulb is a little quicker to change simply because there's no plastic covering the fixture.

High'light' of the day!

Its much, much easier and quicker to remove the entire headlight when changing the bulbs.... which once you know what your doing only takes a few minutes.

Its much, much easier and quicker to remove the entire headlight when changing the bulbs.... which once you know what your doing only takes a few minutes.

I was beginning to wonder if that was the case. Do tell more! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to change the bulbs without taking the headlight units out, but since I installed HID's it is now extremely difficult to change main beam bulbs without taking out the units, as there is even less space to work with now the ballasts are in.

Gernerally speaking, the headlight (H7) is the trickiest as it is secured by a clip. Take a good look first before diving in and taking out the bulbs. Make a mental note of the position of the clips/connector etc and how they turn and where they turn to. this is half the battle, as groping about trying to refit a connector blindly without any clue on how they were is a pain.

I've changed over bulbs in my Gen 7 more times than I care to mention, and believe me it becomes a doddle with practice.

Having said all this, it is even easier still by taking out the units as Aquazi has mentioned. They are secured by 3 bolts, one top, one bottom, and one on the wing side which is hidden behind the bumper where it joins the wing. you will either have to take the bumper off to get at this bolt, or at the very least, undo the bumper side screw and bend the bumper down to reveal the bolt.

• 4 weeks later...
I've just fitted some new bulbs into the front lamps.

The replacement White Prizm LED side lights were easy enough and look very good but the others..Arhhh.....

Managed to do the dipped beams but it took a hour and some skinned kunckles on both hands. Swopped the originals for the new Halfords Extreme Brilliance +90s.

I can't do the mains though and I've got small hands. There must be a knack and I just can't find it.

all i can say is good look. it took me nearly 2 days of pain to get mine replaced. dont do us the 1, do em both save alot of time

Well, one of mine blew the other day so had to get round to finding out earlier than expected.

Only changed the dipped beam bulbs, but to be honest they weren't as bad as expected. Took about 25 mins.

Don't like the look of the access to the main beam though! :(

Oh dear I need to replace my headlight bulb urgently.

wonder whether to even ask Mr T!!

Could someone confirm the headlight bulb model number on the Gen 7 please?

sorry forget the above I've just confirmed with Toyota they're H7s, and they want £50 to fit one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going to have a bash with the assistance of this guide later : http://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/show...amp;sb=2&o=

If you are still stuck, and fancy a trip to Derby i can do it for you on evening!

sorry forget the above I've just confirmed with Toyota they're H7s, and they want £50 to fit one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going to have a bash with the assistance of this guide later : http://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/show...amp;sb=2&o=

If you are still stuck, and fancy a trip to Derby i can do it for you on evening!

i've just tried it, and havn't got the foggiest - is that a serious offer?!!

i've just tried it, and havn't got the foggiest - is that a serious offer?!!

yep.. i live in the city center of derby....depending which side i will just remove the unit, replace the bulb and pop it back!

takes about 10 mins when you know what to do... no point paying someone to do it!

Thanks very much for the offer its much appreciated. In the end I got 2 tyres fitted (Falken ze912s if anyones interested) and asked the guys at the tyre place if they knew of someone who they thought could replace the bulb.

He told me to go to a local father and son garage i'd never heard of, I took it there on the off chance 20 mins before they were due to shut and he did it in about 5 mins and didn't want any money for it!! He made it look really simple, he seemed to yank off the rubber casing, pull the old bulb out with his bare hands and then used thin pliers somehow to coax the new bulb in place. It was the passenger side by the way.

thanks again for the offer.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that to get an idea of how the clip seats, remove the bulb and without anything in its place just try a few times and get the feel for it. The clip seems to have to do a gradual S sort of shape, so pull it up slightly, hook it over, then press down (down being towards the floor not inwards :) ) Remember to put your new bulb into the holder then into your unit, else you may take a while before you realise, no of course i didn't do that ;)

BFM

I have found that to get an idea of how the clip seats, remove the bulb and without anything in its place just try a few times and get the feel for it. The clip seems to have to do a gradual S sort of shape, so pull it up slightly, hook it over, then press down (down being towards the floor not inwards :) ) Remember to put your new bulb into the holder then into your unit, else you may take a while before you realise, no of course i didn't do that ;)

BFM

does anyone know what size bulb goes into the cabin light? (the one on the inside roof)

thanks

does anyone know what size bulb goes into the cabin light? (the one on the inside roof)

thanks

yes mate, there you go

post-40920-1236674385_thumb.jpg