Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tachograph Requirements

treeclimber

Can anybody explain the details or requirements for the use of a tachograph. I have a hilux invincible 200 and need to pull a trailer up to 2000kg. I have just noticed a sticker on the passenger side stating that a tacho 'might' be required.

like vince said from 7.5 tunner up

Its not required if its for personal use but for commercial i think it's 3.5T and above.

like vince said from 7.5 tunner up

Its not required if its for personal use but for commercial i think it's 3.5T and above.

Commercial use definately 3.5T, I got caught about 15 to 20 years ago in a transit with a 1 T trailer, fine wasn't small either but my employer at the time paid it because the regs had just come in.

Yeh 3.5t and above if used as commercial/business, any combination of trailer and tow or rigid vehicle etc..

Thanks for the info. It is as I expected. So to sum up, being self employed, if I pull my machinery on the trailer to a job it is commercial. What about if I am just transporting it back home or to base. Is it still commercial use then? And what are the costs for a tacho fitted? Cheers.

If you work in the recovery industry. I.E. rac. aa etc etc. then recovery is tacho exempt. or at least used to be 3 years ago or so. therefore you dont transport the machinery. your merely recovering it officer. hehe

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.

If the maximum allowed train weight of the vehcle and trailer combined [thats if both vehicle and trailer were fully loaded] is over 3.5 tonnes and if it is being used commercially you 'may' need a tacho.

You will need a tacho if you are transporting 'Goods'. But if you are the owner/operetaor and you are carrying materials and equipment for use by yourself in connection with your trade or proffession within 100 Km of your base, you do not need a tacho. The guide book from VOSA does state that for Horticultural and Agricultural purposes, if in line with the above hihglighted statement, are exempt.

For example;-

I am a Landscape Gardener. My Hlux Hl3 and my 750Kg trailers combined maximum train weight is about 3.7 tonnes.[ its the maximum train weight that counts, even if your trailer is empty]

When I carry my ride on mower to a job, the work starts when I take the mower off the trailer and start grass cutting. The carrying of the mower on the trailer is NOT my work. I do not need a tacho.

But if I were a mower salesman and I was delivering the same mower, on my trailer, to a client, I would need a tacho because then I would be transporting 'Goods'.

It is a subtle difference but that is the law. You can download a booklet from VOSA that explains these 'exemptions'.

Thank you vic575. That's kind of what I hoped for. For example, being a tree surgeon, pulling a chipper to site (2tonne on trailer) I only start my work when the chipper starts working. Right? Is a hilux maximum pull 2tonne?

Thank you vic575. That's kind of what I hoped for. For example, being a tree surgeon, pulling a chipper to site (2tonne on trailer) I only start my work when the chipper starts working. Right? Is a hilux maximum pull 2tonne?

High there Treeclimber,

Yes, you are correct. As you are the owner/operator and you are not transporting 'Goods' you do not need a tacho.

As regards the towing capacity, it depends which model of Hilux you have. My 2008 3.0 Hl3 Double Cab has a maximum legal towing limit of 2.25 tonnes [2250 kg] and a 'Gross Train Weight' [both Hilux and trailer fully loaded] of 5.19 tonnes [5190 kg].

I hope this helps

Vic575

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links