Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Car Would You Choose?

jane-b

Bit of a dilemma with my next car. You have a choice of 2 different cars both equal in value, performance, economy etc.

One has Rear Disc Brakes and a Timing Belt

The other has Rear Drum Brakes and a Timing Chain

Which one would you have and why?

:unsure:

Make and models?

Doesn’t matter! (Not being funny or awkward) both are equal contenders but the decider is the Brakes or the Belt/Chain. :wacko:

Brakes and timing belt....

Nothing wrong with a belt as long as it's all changed when needed, ie water pump etc.

Chains can be noisey.

Make and models?

Doesn’t matter! (Not being funny or awkward) both are equal contenders but the decider is the Brakes or the Belt/Chain. :wacko:

Brakes then.... no contest IMO.

Nothing wrong with a timing belt, all the fast Toyotas from back from the days when they still made them ran belts!

Anything with just rear drums immediately arouses my suspicions!

If it was a true classic car with a chain and drums then I would go along this route.... easy to sort out as I would simply drive slower and enjoy the ride :P B)

If spirited driving is planned, I would go Rear discs. You can change the belt more often if nescessary for piece of mind.

Both cars are brand new models (non Toyota). Both have 5 star crash test results both have 4 wheel ABS with EBD/BA and ESP/TC and all the latest gizmos inside etc. Discs just look so much better but I have a phobia about timing belts having knowing someone who had one snap on her which cost loads to repair :ffs:

Have you been on forum dedicated to the model in question and had a look at whether they have problems associated particularly with the belts - owners having to excessively replace them etc?

You will probably get a much more helpful response asking over on the Vauxhall forum.... :lol: :lol:

Would the timing belt be covered on a brand new car?

I would imagine so on the warranty, unless it was classed as "general wear and tear"? Could be wrong though!

A timing belt would be covered under warranty but of course would not be if it was not replaced in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines.

As both cars would be brand new then I would go for disc brakes everytime :)

Come on Jane.... what cars are you considering :unsure: Out with it.... you know you want to tell us :yes:

To be honest todays brakes are highly efficient, discs obviously better than drum but I don't see a problem with either system, unless you intend modifying the car. As far as timing chain or belt the same applies, yes timing chains don't have the problem of a replacement interval but they do wear and become stretched with time as does the tensioner.

So, unless you intend keeping the car for a very long time or modifying it, I think the question is irrelevant.

Les

Bit of a dilemma with my next car. You have a choice of 2 different cars both equal in value, performance, economy etc.

One has Rear Disc Brakes and a Timing Belt

The other has Rear Drum Brakes and a Timing Chain

Which one would you have and why?

:unsure:

A weird question :huh:

I like Wierd questions :D

If these are the only deciders, I would go for the one with the Timing Chain over the Timing Belt

Chains should be more reliable then belts.

Rear Discs look more sexy then Rear Drums but actually more of a pain as I think you get secondary drums to work the handbrake which is another thing to go wrong (this depends on the car, but not quite enough info to download the tech spec sheet B) )

The belt snapping shouldnt really be a fear unless its an interference engine - depends which make and model of car it is, obviously without knowing these details its impossible to tell you the answer, also if its a brand new car and the belt snaps then it will be covered - and they cover the replacement and repairs if it goes wrong again - unless you fit the replacement yourself. (well toyota do anyway - i assume most manufacturers do the same)

Id go for disc brakes over drum brakes but they both have advantages and disadvantages tbh, so my choice would be disc and belt

Go with whatever your gut feeling tells you - that way you get peace of mind :thumbsup:

Does either car have electronic help like ESP, VSC, etc.? You probably won't get that on any axle with drum brakes, only discs.

Whether you want ESP or not is another question :D

Paul.

Does either car have electronic help like ESP, VSC, etc.? You probably won't get that on any axle with drum brakes, only discs.

Whether you want ESP or not is another question :D

Both cars are brand new models (non Toyota). Both have 5 star crash test results both have 4 wheel ABS with EBD/BA and ESP/TC and all the latest gizmos inside etc. Discs just look so much better but I have a phobia about timing belts having knowing someone who had one snap on her which cost loads to repair :ffs:

:thumbsup: