Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St202 Facelift Steering Wheel Airbag

spacefaceuk

Hey all,

Some of you may be aware that in the facelift celica st202 there were two types of steering wheel, most GTs came with a four spoke leather with built in airbag, some later GTs (98-99) came with a 3 spoke design.

I have a 98 with the 4-spoke and I have managed to get hold of the rare 3-spoke version. Being from the Celica family i assumed swapping them over was a possibility - however when i removed the steering wheel and compared the back, behold the airbag's have different plugs!

The 3-spoke is the same as the ones that came in the MR2 in 99 I believe, and not far off a lexus is200 wheel, as well as very similar to the gen 7 version.

Question is, has anyone attempted this before? Is this just a trivial difference?

Does anyone have any details on these airbags at all? Another difference is the 4-spoke has 2 red wires coming out of it, the 3-spoke has one red and one black...which is a tad suspicious.

Any help would be appreciated,

cheers,

Kamran

the airbag ecu tells the bag in the wheel to deploy at something like a 4g crash detection (guess )

the worst case id think is the airbag warning light may appear on the dash or the bag wont get the correct messages and wont deploy / or it may get confused and deploy even if 1 day you may be doing 70mph on a motorway . so ask yourself before swapping them over .

i used to make the airbag modules for toyota derby and there are many variants due to cars having different numbers of airbags ( squibs) fitted.

id personally leave it well alone , and put safety before vanity .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links