Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 1.3 Sr, Clutch Judder? And Dash Creak/rattle

stevewilkinson

I collected a new 1.3 SR in September, it has 2 major problems. I've done 2500 miles and hoped the first was just running in but sadly not.

I tend not to use the car over a weekend but always wash it. On a Monday morning it has a terrible clutch problem, always on pulling away in first gear it judders terribly. After about half an hour in traffic it is back to normal and works fine. It is always worse after standing on a wet and cold morning. It can be fine on a cold and dry morning. Is this the clutch judder problem? as its very intermitant but terrible when there. At first I thought it was the handbrake jamming on the rear drums?

The second is an awful creaking/Rattle from the front passenger side (left) it seems to be coming from the area of the glove box or top dash, but is there when the glove box is empty or even open. I've not been a passenger myself to locate it but always seems to come from that front dash area. The weird thing is that this also is worse when the car is cold on a morning, when the heater has been on for a while or on a hot day its not there at all. So drive for a while and its gone. It best described as a very load creak, like hard plastics rubbing each other.

Between the judder and creaking on a morning the car feels horrible to drive to work, on the way home its fine!

On a positive note, my sat nav works fine, mainly because I spotted the problems on this forum before delivery and had the dealer carry out the upgrade, which I see is now the subject of a recall letter I had from Toyota last week.

Thanks for any advice, any tips on where to point the dealer would be fab.

If it's any help, i had a really nasty creek, and i found it was where the centre consol was rubbing on the centre pillar of the dashboard, on the N/S

I took the centre consol off the prove it, and trimmed about 1mm of plastic from the inside of the consol, and it cured it.

I had another Yaris on loan and the same thing seemed to be happening with that one as well.

Thanks, worth a try I'd rather fix it myself than let the dealer end up scratching etc.

Just checking the center console is the plastic divider around gearstick, with the trinket tray at front. So the area to trim is the front end of the centre console where it rubs at the bottom of the centre pillar, near the 12V socket?

And whats the best way to remove centre console?

Thanks again

Steve,

If my memory is good to go,

You unscrew the gearknob, then remove the small section in front of the handbrake, i did this just by putting my finger underneath the slot that the handbrake comes out of, and just lifted and pulled here

I would not use a screwdriver as you are liable to scratch something, and then at the rear of the consol there is a small felt base, which if you lift you will find a screw under.

I removed the centre consol, and took the car for a run to be sure, then did the fix, if you look under the consol at the front underneath, you can just see where it is rubbing.

It never fails to amaze me why some simple things like this get through and are not picked up , mine was an 06, and i have a 58 plate on loan, and guess what ?.., it's creaking like a good'n, and if you hold the consol it stops, hmmmm, i wonder what that might be ?

Best of luck, and hope it solves your issues !..

Regards

Techy

Hi

Top tip thanks, I tried a temp fix at the weekend by putting some rubber between the console and bottom of the centre dash, if you run your finger up underneath the console from the carpet I could feel where they were rubbing.

Seems to have done the trick, no creaks all week. Will try your permanant fix next week.

Thanks again.

I've had my SR for just over a year now and sometimes the clutch in mine judders, not all the time though. As for creaks, rattles ect...mine has loads round the dash area. Does'nt bother me now though, just crank up the sounds!! :lol:

I collected a new 1.3 SR in September, it has 2 major problems. I've done 2500 miles and hoped the first was just running in but sadly not.

I tend not to use the car over a weekend but always wash it. On a Monday morning it has a terrible clutch problem, always on pulling away in first gear it judders terribly. After about half an hour in traffic it is back to normal and works fine. It is always worse after standing on a wet and cold morning. It can be fine on a cold and dry morning. Is this the clutch judder problem? as its very intermitant but terrible when there. At first I thought it was the handbrake jamming on the rear drums?

The second is an awful creaking/Rattle from the front passenger side (left) it seems to be coming from the area of the glove box or top dash, but is there when the glove box is empty or even open. I've not been a passenger myself to locate it but always seems to come from that front dash area. The weird thing is that this also is worse when the car is cold on a morning, when the heater has been on for a while or on a hot day its not there at all. So drive for a while and its gone. It best described as a very load creak, like hard plastics rubbing each other.

Between the judder and creaking on a morning the car feels horrible to drive to work, on the way home its fine!

On a positive note, my sat nav works fine, mainly because I spotted the problems on this forum before delivery and had the dealer carry out the upgrade, which I see is now the subject of a recall letter I had from Toyota last week.

OMG, thank you! I was beginning to think I was the unlucky one! We could have the exact same car as mine does exactly the same. The dash noise is so bad I absolutely hate driving it now. I got it in April and have done 3700 miles.

The whole of the passenger side dash creaks, as does the centre consoles section as does the instrument surround. The clutch makes a clunky noise when it's pressed in and out and when the car is cold it's virtually impossible to select first gear.

It's going into the garage on Tuesday so fingers crossed they sort it, if they don't I don't particularly want it back, it's that bad.

Having had a BMW and a Mini Cooper as my last 2 cars I expected a similar build quality on the Yaris (given Toyota's reputation etc), but it has been seriously lacking. I just wish I'd saved some money and bought something cheaper because it feels like that's what I have bought, a cheap poorly built plasticky car.

Well, I've just took my car in and joy of joys on the way there it developed the clutch judder! It is the weirdest feeling, when setting off in 1st gear it made the whole car judder like mad.

Fingers crossed they sort it though, I don't care how much silicon sealant they use on the dash as long as they stopping it creaking!!!

HI got a 1.3 sr for my misses last april and since then it has been back at the dealership for a total of 6 months the problem has been apart from the satnav stereo still not working correctly (keeps reprogramming channels when you try to change) but it has a starting rattle from cold and sound any from and slight noise to resembleing a tractor so for it has had the cam tensioner changed twice the , vvti gear replaced , the camshafts and valve shims changed , oil pump replaced . pressure relief valve replaced the it blew up and now has had a new short block (bottom end and cylinder head replaced and it still rattles it turns out that there is a fundimental problem with this engine (not all of them rattle ) and there is a manufactoring fault somewhere and toyota dont know what it is and dont want customers bring there cars back as they cant repair them SO PLEASE CHECK WHEN STARTING IN THE MORNING AND LISTEN FOR A NOISE IT WILL ONLY DO IT ONCE AND THEN YOU HAVE TO LEAVE IT FOR A FEW HOURS UNTILL IT DOSE IT AGAIN BUT IF YOUR RATTLES TAKE IT BACK AND INSIST THAT THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT WEVE ONLY HAD OUR YARIS FOR 13 WEEKS SINCE APRIL AND ITS GOT TO THE POINT WHERE WE ARE TAKING LEGAL ACTION AGAINST TOYOTA FOR A REPLACEMENT OR REFUND AS THEY HAVE SAID THEY WILL ONLY GIVE £500 TOWARDS BEING PUT INTO A REPLACEMENT CAR WHEN THEY ARE LEGALLY BOUND TO REPAIR OR REPLACE THE CAR BY LAW.

SO WATCH THIS SPACE

Sad news mate. :crybaby: Hopefully Toyota will be honourable and give you another car. Seems a lot goes wrong with these new models, not what one would expect from a massive manufacturer!! :censor:

They should really get their act together and sort these problems asap for customers, must admit i don't like dealing with them for anything.

Everytime i ring for parts, they never answer the phone or if they do they say that there busy and they will ring me back....needless to say, they never do, the parts and labour costs are ridiculous and i allways feel that they simply "can't be bothered" with anything really..

The best of luck with your car, hopefully you will get sorted out. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...