Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Got The Aygo Blues

SJandMR2

:lol: Get it? Blues? Nevermind :rolleyes:

Anyway....

Well Aygo has gotten a bit of abuse lately, done a lot miles (now just under 30k at just over a year) decided to give a well over due a wash and sorting out, that cost me a tenner, then went to fix the crack in window screen that cost me £30 :rolleyes:

Then went to Mr T for check up as it was feeling a bit spudgy*

Bought two new front tyres (yes prob should have shopped around but hey ho) (they were at 17k miles)

also need new clutch :( but they said that could possibly be fixed under warranty

and my third service is due, was afraid to ask for quote for that :lol:

Am not moaning, just all come at once really at wrong time of year.

So donations welcome!! :D

SJx

*mechanical term.. you wouldn't understand

know that feeling, at 12.5k miles, my clutch is going :( also need 2 new tyres... wtf is THAT all about??

seriously considering selling mine n getting something non-toyota!

Well Aygo has gotten a bit of abuse lately, done a lot miles (now just under 30k at just over a year) decided to give a well over due a wash and sorting out, that cost me a tenner, then went to fix the crack in window screen that cost me £30 :rolleyes:

Bought two new front tyres (yes prob should have shopped around but hey ho) (they were at 17k miles)

also need new clutch :( but they said that could possibly be fixed under warranty

SJx

Haha love the mechanical term of 'spudgy' - will have to remember that one!

That is an impressive amount of mileage for a year hun, although cars are there to be driven after all - not just admired (well thats my motto anyway).

;)

SJx

That is an impressive amount of mileage for a year hun, although cars are there to be driven after all - not just admired (well thats my motto anyway).

;)

I have many more useless words that only I understand, a lot relate to cars :lol:

And yeah, its because of my job live in Lincoln work in Grantham and can be sent all over the place most months, which is great if you love driving, not so great if I cant afford to keep replacing stuff on your car and petrol keeps going up lol.

SJx

;)

I have many more useless words that only I understand, a lot relate to cars :lol:

And yeah, its because of my job live in Lincoln work in Grantham and can be sent all over the place most months, which is great if you love driving, not so great if I cant afford to keep replacing stuff on your car and petrol keeps going up lol.

Do you not get a "Motor mileage allowance" for running your car for work to compensate for the wear and tear?

I get the normal mileage allowance when working away but most of it is my own commute, plus I dont tend to save it up for new fixing stuff, goes mostly on petrol

Burn it... buy a better car :P

A clutch on a low powered car such as the Aygo should last at least 50 000 miles unless in the hands of an incompetent towing a caravan ever day they drive. So if you are getting clutch problems now it needs to be fixed under warranty. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I did 90 000 miles on a Yaris clutch driving into central London each day with a gazillion gear changes before that failed, so I doubt this is fair ware and tear.

All these horror stories, I'm starting to wish the Aygo was made in the same Japanese factory my original Yaris was made in .. TOYOTA TAKE NOTE. :angry:

Regards

Andy

Hi

Yeah I am sure they will do the clutch under warranty. I took out of the first post that I also need brake pads and brake discs as I wanted to get a second opinion, I am certain I need pads, but seems quite low mileage for discs as well ??? but looking at some pics of the disc they are very soft and thin so maybe I do, I am unsure and haven't got the skills to look myself.

As I said in first post tho I love my car and a lot of this has just come at once, the only thing I am a bit narked about is the discs thing.

SJx

Hi

Yeah I am sure they will do the clutch under warranty. I took out of the first post that I also need brake pads and brake discs as I wanted to get a second opinion, I am certain I need pads, but seems quite low mileage for discs as well ??? but looking at some pics of the disc they are very soft and thin so maybe I do, I am unsure and haven't got the skills to look myself.

As I said in first post tho I love my car and a lot of this has just come at once, the only thing I am a bit narked about is the discs thing.

SJx

Hi SJx,

You are not on your own with this discs thing trust me.

Let me tell you a story about my first service interval today, the 10 000 mile one. Knew the discs had been reported soft by various people so asked the garage to give me a percentage wear on the pads to stop them wearing the discs when they got low. Ok, so it went in. While I was waiting listened to another person with a Toyota X that he needed new discs and pads and he was shocked. That's the problem when there is no warning light, if it happens halfway between a service you could be paying for discs as well as cheap pads.

I got my Aygo back at £136 and when asking what the percentage wear was the lady on reception told me they were good, but no percentage. I'd rather they did that than spend 30 minutes washing the car. :rolleyes: I will have to check them as well, should be able to take the wheel off or look through the spokes and see. Of course not sure what the original thickness was. That's the problem with long service intervals nowadays, the engine does not wear out but the braking system might fall between that and screw you.

Of course if the disks are wearing and your pads are Ok then they really are a soft, cost cutting exercise :rolleyes: , and better off with some after market stuff which will pay dividends in the long run.

Golly, it's almost as if Toyota is trying to get us into sporty bits !

Regards

Andy

Yep that sounds about right. I am not sure how long I am going to keep the Aygo so part of me wants to get a better set of discs and pay more now, than in the long run. And yes there needs to be some kind of indicator for these things, I was told at last service they were on orange, so needed to be looked at at the next service, well I am not even at my next service? And what indication have I had? None? Unless I check them myself, but as a non-spanner monkey girly who couldnt lift hammer even the getting wheel off part is a challenge.

Anyway someone has recommended these disc CLICK or CLICKand someone else has offered to fit them, so I might be doing it on the cheap as I am broke at the moment and I just don't want to give toyota my money the way I am feeling at the minute :lol:

All these cost cutting things, ie no wear sensors seem to be costing me in the long run.

SJx

:lol: Get it? Blues? Nevermind :rolleyes:

Anyway....

SJx

lol my old aygo's clutch was apparently on its last legs...altho i felt or heard no difference and i never ride the clutch and i do motorway driving so how that happened i dont kno! lol got quoted 500 for a new one! kinda a blessing i crashed it lol

Toyota quoted near £600 for the clutch doing on my 1.0 Yaris a few years back

Local garage, genuine toyota clutch, £350 :wacko:

Shop around and avoid Mr T in most cases! :lol:

Of course if the disks are wearing and your pads are Ok then they really are a soft, cost cutting exercise :rolleyes: , and better off with some after market stuff which will pay dividends in the long run.

I doubt the discs are some kind of special soft steel. It makes sense to make the disc the right thickness so that you swap the disc and pad at the same time, surely?

Paul.

My 2 pence worth.

Discs were never classed as service items, they used to go on forever.

Things have changed and cars are relatively MUCH cheaper in real terms

than they used to be. Everything is now disposable.

When I'm rummaging about in scrapyards, there are cars in there that 20

years ago would have been perfectly acceptable on the road.

Its just progress......make 'em cheap, pile 'em high and sell lots.

20 years ago, new pads onto scabby, old, grooved & warped discs.

Today, new pads, new discs, car brakes are back to "new" Progress......in a way.

As to wear limits. I'm not sure of the original thickness of the discs but......

I BELIEVE you are allowed 1mm wear per side of the disc.

If you look through the wheel, you can see the lip on the outside edge of the disc.

That is why pads are slightly undersized. So that a lip is formed.

If the pads were larger and went to the edge of the disc, the wear wouldn't be easily

noticed without special measuring tools.

Ian.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links