Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Maint Now

gwilphil

Don't think it is an oil level problem, I think it thinks the oil is a bit sooty, i.e. it needs a service.

This should reset it (i.e. normally do this after the oil has been changed - Dealer should normally do it):

Set the multi-information display to TRIP A.

Turn the ignition switch off.

Press and hold the ODO / TRIP switch, and turn the ignition switch on (IG).

After turning the ignition switch on (IG), keep holding the switch for at least 5 seconds. The reset procedure is complete.

If that doesn't work, then it probably is oil level. Sorry! :D.

Car Engine ECU monitors its use and if it thinks the oil needs changing it will tell you.

Is it close to a service or have you been doing a lot of short or stop/start trips?

EDIT: Yep, just double checked, "Oil MAINT NOW" is the oil change message.

Don't think it is an oil level problem, I think it thinks the oil is a bit sooty, i.e. it needs a service.

This should reset it:

Set the multi-information display to TRIP A.

Turn the ignition switch off.

Press and hold the ODO / TRIP switch, and turn the ignition switch on (IG).

After turning the ignition switch on (IG), keep holding the switch for at least 5 seconds. The reset procedure is complete.

If that doesn't work, then it probably is oil level. Sorry! :D.

Car Engine ECU monitors its use and if it thinks the oil needs changing it will tell you.

Is it close to a service or have you been doing a lot of short or stop/start trips?

Thanks for that.It is not close to service but I have been doing i lot of stop starts and the oil needs a top up

OK, makes sense with a lot of stop/start - oil life gets shortened. It's telling you you need an oil change.

EDIT: of course, if it went to the dealer for its last service, the dealer may not have done the reset for the reminder and that is why it is showing up now :rolleyes:

OK, makes sense with a lot of stop/start - oil life gets shortened. It's telling you you need an oil change.

EDIT: of course, if it went to the dealer for its last service, the dealer may not have done the reset for the reminder and that is why it is showing up now :rolleyes:

Hi I was told today by my Toyota dealer that the "oil maint now" came on was because the car had gone over 20,000 miles and not that it neaded an oil chainge. Happy New Year to all. Gwil

This is from the factory manual:

An oil maintenance management system is used. This system determines the deterioration conditions of

the engine oil and oil filter, and illuminates the master warning light and engine oil change reminder light

to inform the driver when the engine oil and the oil filter must be changed. Accordingly, the maintenance

intervals (30,000 km maximum) that correspond to the actual deterioration conditions of the engine oil

and oil filter have been realized.

This system indirectly determines the deterioration of the engine oil and oil filter based on the

information provided by the engine ECU

This system determines the deterioration of the engine oil and oil filter in accordance with the soot volume

in the engine oil and oil filter. The engine ECU calculates the soot volume in the engine oil in accordance

with the vehicle speed, engine speed, injection timing, injection volume, and intake air mass, and the soot

volume in the oil filter in accordance with the engine speed and injection volume. When the calculated value

of the soot volume exceeds a predetermined value, the engine ECU will illuminate the master warning light

and engine oil change reminder light. Thus, this system informs the driver that the engine oil and the oil

filter must be changed.

In addition to controlling the illumination of the master warning light and engine oil change reminder

light by counting the soot volume, the engine ECU illuminates the master warning light and engine oil

change reminder light when the vehicle’s driven distance reaches 30,000 km. Thus, this function

enhances the reliability of the system.

The accumulated mileage/kilometrage memorized in the engine ECU can be reset by the following

procedures..................................

You can probably take 30,000 km as 20K miles (it may even be programmed up as a 10k interval?) for UK models. The way I read it you can effectively perceive it at it as a hidden mileage "trip", who's count gets modified slightly depending on vehicle use and should therefore be reset after every oil change.

I've certainly used the above reset procedure after every oil change, and have not seen the message yet.

Yes, your dealer is possibly strictly correct, it was due to going through 20k miles, but did he fail to reset the count whenever the vehicle was serviced last and that is really why it has appeared? Perhaps it does come on a 20k, 40k etc regardless? Seems a bit illogical to me in that case, as if you'd just had a service at slightly less than 20k, why worry the customer by bringing up a message just slightly later when you could prevent it?

I assume you are out of step with 10k interval services, because 20k is an oil change point otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, anybody seen the message around the 10k miles point (or 30k, 50k etc)?

I service my own (regularly change the oil in addition at not more than 5k) and despite never cancelling the oil service indicator it has never yet come on. Maybe the dealer has done it during warranty work?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links