Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems

treeclimber

My new invincible 200 has been odd since I got it (only a month ish). Sometimes it will not start. Several attempts on the first occasion and not even a week old! Rang Toyota dealer and he couldn't do much obviously but I wanted to check I wasn't doing or not doing something stupid like not putting my foot on the brake pedal or something (it's automatic). Anyway, had to ring for recovery. Started first time. Typical! But after turning off, it did fail to start. He did a diagnostic with laptop which showed no faults. He put it down to a possible glitch with the immobilizer and/or key.

Toyota dealer have had it for a day. Couldn't get it to fault all day. They upgraded the injection software apparently. And they coupdnt do much else and said if it carries on they will need to take the vehicle for a few days so that they can make it fault. It only does it sometimes and as far as I have noticed it might be more common when it's cold. I have worked out that if I use the key to lock and unlock the doors and try again it works.

Anyway, has anybody had any similar problems and anyone got any ideas before I have to take it back for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now hoping you may know something more than me and the dealer does.

The hilux is back at the dealers, same problem as above. Yesterday, they told me they had pressure tested and the lift pump was leaking air in. So they replaced it, but wanted to wait for the vehicle to get cold and then test. It didn't start. Not first time anyway.

Today, they say they have noticed it seems lacking in current and might have a dodgy alternater. I questioned this, because when it fails to start, I might try up to 15-20 times for a good few seconds each time. Quite a drain on the Battery wouldn't you think, but yet on the, say, 21st attempt it starts as normal. No sluggish starter motor, it just fires up. When I stressed this, their thoughts are that if the alternater is faulty, and drawing current, the starter motor is cranking up fine, but the ECU is not getting enough current and therefore the engine doesn't start.

Is this a load of old...mmmm...nonsense?

I'm sure I might be wrong, but I feel a glitch with the immobilizer seems more obvious, but they say they don't come up with any faults. Are they testing it correctly. If they test it after a fault, what would it say any different to if they test it after it starts as normal?

Hopefully some of you will be more technically able than I am and explain this in laymans terms.

Cheers in advance.

• 11 years later...

Hi, I recently purchased a 2009 Hilux Invincible 200 and I have the same starting issue. I have also noticed that it gets worst when the weather is cold. Can you please let know if you were able to fix this issue? If so how?

Is there a problem with immobilizer or that TRD chip?

Thank you