Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Results From 'range' Display On Trip Computer

johnny01

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year :cheers:

Put some petrol in the T-Pot because the range computer said I had very few miles left. Went up to 3 bars on the fuel tank display - trouble is the range display on the trip computer keeps getting less and less. Now it's reporting I have 8 miles range left but I've still got 3 bars on the fuel tank.

Had some weird results before, once it suddenly dropped from 100 miles remaining to 50 miles remaining without warning - I know it's only a token guide to how much is left but it seems to get more and more inaccurate as the fuel level drops.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Should I just ignore it altogether?

Hope you all had a good time over the festive holiday :thumbsup:

Ours did that once, the joys of electronics! It often says 0 miles left and there will be two bars on the gauge.

Personally we use the odometer, reset it - trip a is the one I use when you fill it up and see how many miles a tank gives you, when the gauge starts flashing I believe that the average amount left will give you 30 miles thereabouts. I find that 330 is always the minimum amount that comes out of a tank and when it gets around there I know a trip to the petrol garage will be near.

I must admit that I prefer having the analogue gauge like what is in the MR2's against the digital gauge of the Yaris.

Anyway thats just an idea for you to consider, I did 25 miles after the gauge started flashing on ours two weeks back and I think it took 38 litres of petrol so there was still a bit left ;)

Happy New Year to too you.

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year :cheers:

Put some petrol in the T-Pot because the range computer said I had very few miles left. Went up to 3 bars on the fuel tank display - trouble is the range display on the trip computer keeps getting less and less. Now it's reporting I have 8 miles range left but I've still got 3 bars on the fuel tank.

Had some weird results before, once it suddenly dropped from 100 miles remaining to 50 miles remaining without warning - I know it's only a token guide to how much is left but it seems to get more and more inaccurate as the fuel level drops.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Should I just ignore it altogether?

Hope you all had a good time over the festive holiday :thumbsup:

The Range goes off your "Avg mpg" .. have you re-set your average mpg? ... if you dont re-set it, and your a juicy driver, in theory you will have less miles, as the car thinks its going to get less mpg.

However... 8 miles does sound REALLY low!

I must admit, i got over 200 miles from it when the comp said i had 49 miles left.. and it goes onto empty really early with over 1UK gallon in the tank still, thats over 4.4 Ltrs!

Hi there & Happy New Year.

This happened to my wife's car a few weeks ago.We noticed that the "range" was quite low as well as needing fuel anyway, so we stuck in some petrol.Noticed that that "range" never went up and kept going down.After a few days it said "0" and stayed that way for about a week even though there was still about 3 bars on the gauge.

Anyway, once the bars went down, we re-fuelled again and the "range" went back up and has worked as normal (as it possibly can!) since.

Try filling up again and you'll maybe notice that it'll reset itself.

David

Hi to everyone and thanks for the replies :)

At least I know now it's not necessarily 'faulty' - I get the impression that you need to put a decent amount of petrol in the tank in order to get the computer to calculate a new range. The range is now down to 3 miles and I still have 3 bars left on the guage, I've travelled about 12 miles since I put some petrol in and although the range is not dropping 'mile for mile' it's certainly dropping at a reduced rate, but still giving a 'false' reading nonetheless :(

Happy New Year :D

am i missing something here... or is it just the phase 2 ts that has the range on it?

dont think my p1 tsport has it anyways.. maybe im wrong..

am i missing something here... or is it just the phase 2 ts that has the range on it?

dont think my p1 tsport has it anyways.. maybe im wrong..

All P2 Yaris' have the range....

thought it might be that, so i dont have it then. good. thought i was just being dull :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links