Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E

etph

Got starting problems, some times its ok sometimes it takes 3 or 4 clicks. The Battery seems fine and it won't always start from another cars via jumper leads. I am sure its the starter motor and not the Battery or key (note i have been told carina's have key problems). I have stripped down the starter motor and all looks fine. I have noticed its a bit of a bad design on the + side of the Battery (funny clamp) Any body had starter motor problems on a carina? Starter motors £89 from the local Toyota dealer cheaper than other dealers in the area. Will get if i am 100% sure thats the fault.

Its a dec 92, 2 ltr

Ps i thought Fords were bad till i got this car. This is one of many problems with this car. Only had 29k on it when i got it from a one private owner, who i new!

They do suffer with the solenoid on the starter motor not pulling in properly due to worn/arced copper contacts.

If you take the starter off again :( and strip the end plate off the solenoid,you will see a copper plunger which makes contact with the copper ring at the bottom.

The ring normally shows signs of arcing and you can turn it upside down to get a clean contact face.

Clean the plunger and ring with contact electrical cleaner and re-assemble - dont use WD40 etc as this will attract dust and dirt - and stop it from operating correctly.

This will normally get you another 20,000 miles of life out of it.

:thumbsup:

Thanks you for the advise i will try this tomorow. I did notice that copper ring before and it was clean but it was pitted like it had been sand blasted. Will let you know if all goes well. Thanks

Put it back together for now but its a fraction better, could not see how to get that copper ring off! The contacts are clean but i think they are very bably worn esp where the two contacts are at the base, if i could turn the copper ring it might give it some more life.

Just replace the contacts, the plunger should be replaced as a whole. Taking the ring off will loosen it, and it may fall off in operation. The contacts are around $10 in the states.

Thank for the pictures, you have done a good job there. I have managed to bend the contacts very very slightly to keep it running a bit longer.