Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damn And Blast - Wrong Fuel In My Sr180

Ermentrude

Ok, having just about emptied the tank (390 miles covered at 36mpg - I will get braver in ignoring the low fuel warning) I stopped of at a BP garage to refuel. 2 BP ultimate nozzles together guess which one I choose.

So after 3 litres in I realised and stopped. After calling the RAC who told me initially they would be there in 2 hours and not to start the engine I sat down to wait.

I acousted 3 or 4 diesel users (including 1 taxi driver) who all stead-fastedly stated that with this little unleaded in my car, if I were to brim it with diesel it would be ok. Canx'd the RAC, filled to top (only another 43 litres (+ 3 UL and I think I know where the amount of remaining fuel lies:)) and drove conservatively home (8 miles).

So what is the opinion (preferably informed) of you erstwhile and knowledgeable bretheren? Does it require draining as it is so High Presuure or will I definetely get away with it?

Answers on a postcard - to the usual address.........

3 litres? That’s nothing on an empty tank. Fill it with diesel and run it and it will be fine. When you get to a 3 quarters of a tank, top it up again.

3 litres? That’s nothing on an empty tank. Fill it with diesel and run it and it will be fine. When you get to a 3 quarters of a tank, top it up again.

Jane many thanks for your comments.

Ok, having just about emptied the tank (390 miles covered at 36mpg - I will get braver in ignoring the low fuel warning) I stopped of at a BP garage to refuel. 2 BP ultimate nozzles together guess which one I choose.

So after 3 litres in I realised and stopped. After calling the RAC who told me initially they would be there in 2 hours and not to start the engine I sat down to wait.

I acousted 3 or 4 diesel users (including 1 taxi driver) who all stead-fastedly stated that with this little unleaded in my car, if I were to brim it with diesel it would be ok. Canx'd the RAC, filled to top (only another 43 litres (+ 3 UL and I think I know where the amount of remaining fuel lies:)) and drove conservatively home (8 miles).

So what is the opinion (preferably informed) of you erstwhile and knowledgeable bretheren? Does it require draining as it is so High Presuure or will I definetely get away with it?

Answers on a postcard - to the usual address.........

Sorry bud but are you sure you did not drink the 3 litres of petrol yourself as I am really struggling to make sense of your post. :unsure: ;)

Back in the day, didn't diesel owners put about 3 litres of petrol into their diesel tanks to help stop the diesel freezing over on cold days.

You'd have to be very unlucky to have problems following such a small amount of petrol, it'll be fine mate.

Good idea to refill it before half empty to dilute it further just in case though.

You'd have to be very unlucky to have problems following such a small amount of petrol, it'll be fine mate.

Good idea to refill it before half empty to dilute it further just in case though.

Thank you to all for the replies

Back in the day, didn't diesel owners put about 3 litres of petrol into their diesel tanks to help stop the diesel freezing over on cold days.

Yes they did, in the age of not so advanced, complicated, fragile, diesel engines like today, when diesel just worked.

Last year i went to the station to fill up a gas can for my chainsaw, and i should fill my corolla at the same time. Gasolin first, and forgot about the can and filled the car.... 5 litres onto the car with gasolin. Filled it up with diesel, did not get any problems when i did that...

Should be fine aslong as you dilute it well, diesels tend to be a little more forgiving. :thumbsup:

Saying that:

:eek: Caught some little bugger pi**ing into the petrol tank of my old Russian motorcycle & it made absolutely no noticable difference ! :)