Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d 2003 Cold Start Problem

pero2

Hi, everyone,

have a 2003 d4d 2.0, bought it in october. Now at cold days I have to use a bit of gas pedal to start the engine and in colder than -5 centigrade it wont start at all. The engine crancks and the light for heating coils go off after 10 seconds or so but the engine wont start. How do I know it is not the batterry? At toyota service they said the baterry and the heating coil is OK (the tester shows OK) and I already replaced the fuel filter. The fuel I use is said to be OK until -20 degrees so it is not the fuel. Also, there is some banging sound when I start the engine and until it is warmed up (a couple of minutes).

Anyone with similar problem? Please help!

Peter

Hi, everyone,

have a 2003 d4d 2.0, bought it in october. Now at cold days I have to use a bit of gas pedal to start the engine and in colder than -5 centigrade it wont start at all. The engine crancks and the light for heating coils go off after 10 seconds or so but the engine wont start. How do I know it is not the batterry? At toyota service they said the baterry and the heating coil is OK (the tester shows OK) and I already replaced the fuel filter. The fuel I use is said to be OK until -20 degrees so it is not the fuel. Also, there is some banging sound when I start the engine and until it is warmed up (a couple of minutes).

Peter

hi Peter

in case all the above is correct then check with air presence belong to filter case and fuel pump.

what bangiing sound you are referiing to? is that looks like a metal sound?

cheers/Igor

you need to check battery

and listen to the starter to see how quick its spinning

i feel that it is because of parafine dropping and clogging the fine fuel filter.

i remember those case with my previous ford sierra 2.3 dl :))

but the Author will conside it :)))

cheers/Igor

To pero2,

Assuming your battery/starter motor & charging circuits are OK. Have you considered the condition of your Glow Plugs & cold start circuit ??????????

Regards, Beagh.

Hi, everyone,

Peter

hi Peter

in case all the above is correct then check with air presence belong to filter case and fuel pump.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

yes it sounds like metal sound.

cheers

Peter

Hi, everyone,

Peter

hi Peter

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

cheers

Peter

Ok Peter -- the metal sound is an indicator of a bad performance of fuel injectors -- in other words they pour diesel when injected but not spray as designed.

it's common issue with injectors. have them checked first.

Cheers/Igor

Hi, everyone,

Peter

hi Peter

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

cheers

Peter

Ok Peter -- the metal sound is an indicator of a bad performance of fuel injectors -- in other words they pour diesel when injected but not spray as designed.

it's common issue with injectors. have them checked first.

Cheers/Igor

For information to everyone- took the car to a general mechanic who changed the glow plugs-said two were faulty. Now the car is better, starts down to minus 5 degrees but still problematic with colder weather. Tomorrow I will bring it to another Toyota service for a chechup. Will let you know...

Peter

To pero2,

Glad to hear your car is on the mend. This is up to yourself but might be a good idea to change the full set for original Denso glow-plugs. Recently had a nightmare job which i wish i had never (for a friend) taken on. Same cold starting problem, but upon removing plugs the tips had gone, i just assumed tips had coked up with carbon & had stuck in head. Removed head (horrible job) & had to gently drift out tips, asked friend to look through S/H & found out new set of Blue point glowplugs had been fitted by original owner. Tips being slightly wider than Toyota originals, moral of story best to buy original parts sometimes.

Regards, Beagh.

To pero2,

Glad to hear your car is on the mend. This is up to yourself but might be a good idea to change the full set for original Denso glow-plugs. Recently had a nightmare job which i wish i had never (for a friend) taken on. Same cold starting problem, but upon removing plugs the tips had gone, i just assumed tips had coked up with carbon & had stuck in head. Removed head (horrible job) & had to gently drift out tips, asked friend to look through S/H & found out new set of Blue point glowplugs had been fitted by original owner. Tips being slightly wider than Toyota originals, moral of story best to buy original parts sometimes.

Regards, Beagh.

hello

in this case the best way is to check both plugs and injectors.

cheers

Igor

To pero2,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi,

thanks, Beagh. Didnt know plugs HAVE to be Denso- do you think Bosch arent doing the job correctly? The mechanic said the Bosch are perfectly OK. Will see what happens tomorrow (it will be -10 degrees and my car is at a Toyota service center). Will let you know.

Cheers,

Peter

To pero2,

Bosch glow-plugs are top quality, it's just that the original glow-plugs made for car are supplied by Denso, they are as good as each other. Point I was making was be careful if using Bluepoint plugs, as when replacing plugs for a friend the tips snapped off in cylinder head. Cylinder head had to come off as tips had stuck solid in head due to tips being slightly wider than original denso parts. And when we crossed referenced parts to make sure they suited car the parts book clearly stated plugs i had removed were correct for car.

Regards, Beagh.

To pero2,

Bosch glow-plugs are top quality, it's just that the original glow-plugs made for car are supplied by Denso, they are as good as each other. Point I was making was be careful if using Bluepoint plugs, as when replacing plugs for a friend the tips snapped off in cylinder head. Cylinder head had to come off as tips had stuck solid in head due to tips being slightly wider than original denso parts. And when we crossed referenced parts to make sure they suited car the parts book clearly stated plugs i had removed were correct for car.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi,

do you think apart from glow plugs (assuming Bosch are OK) there could be other things wrong- what about the solenoid valve- I heard quite a lot about it here on the forum.

Thanks,

Peter

To pero2,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi,

do you think apart from glow plugs (assuming Bosch are OK) there could be other things wrong- what about the solenoid valve- I heard quite a lot about it here on the forum.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter

Hi

You could not start the engine at all in case of SCV faulty because this one admits diesel to be sucted into the fuel pump.

Check with injectors and glow plugs first. No any doubts that Bosch works fine. Just select the same data plugs/

Cheers/Igor

To Pero2,

Just to confirm again, Denso or Bosch glow-plugs are absolute top quality bar none. It's just the way i work, if you have one dead glow-plug or two I always change all 4 whilst engine cover off & electric supply bar are off car. Also fortunately for me we don't have the extreme cold that you have -4 to -5 would be as low as we would ever see on the very coldest of days. You could try using cold start circuit twice before actually turning engine over, may help with your cold starting.

Bit lost on the next bit, which solenoid are you describing, starter motor or some other device. If starter, they can play up at times, but a FORUM USER on here gives the exact mechanical description of fault, you will have to search out posting. I would not concern yourself to much, if car starts, all OK, if you suspect you have starter motor fault, then you may need new starter. But do not waste money on parts unless your absolutely sure that you have pin pointed problem if indeed you still have one.

Regards,Beagh.

Hello Guys,

I am having the same problem with my Corolla D4D 2002. I don't think that is the starter as after few attempts the engine starts. When I turn the starter I could hear it turning, but the engine doesn't crank. Then from the second attempt cranked then third doesn't or the other way around. At the end it starts. I am going to garage tomorrow to check what is wrong. I think that fuel filter or glowing plugs.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

Hello Guys,

I am having the same problem with my Corolla D4D 2002. I don't think that is the starter as after few attempts the engine starts. When I turn the starter I could hear it turning, but the engine doesn't crank. Then from the second attempt cranked then third doesn't or the other way around. At the end it starts. I am going to garage tomorrow to check what is wrong. I think that fuel filter or glowing plugs.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

whether black smoke is appeared after several attemps? what about the smoke colour after is has been started?

when the fuel filter was last changed? What about injectors last serviced? I do not ask for a glow plugs now.

Cheers/Igor

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

whether black smoke is appeared after several attemps? what about the smoke colour after is has been started?

when the fuel filter was last changed? What about injectors last serviced? I do not ask for a glow plugs now.

Cheers/Igor

There is no black smoke after eventually start the car. The smoke that is coming out look normal as it was before this is what I mean. What colour has to be? I changed the fuel filter 3000 miles ago. I believe that the injectors have been served 13000 miles ago when I bought the car, but I can't be sure of course. I think to go to change the glow plugs.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Thank you

Tiho

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

Cheers/Igor

There is no black smoke after eventually start the car. The smoke that is coming out look normal as it was before this is what I mean. What colour has to be? I changed the fuel filter 3000 miles ago. I believe that the injectors have been served 13000 miles ago when I bought the car, but I can't be sure of course. I think to go to change the glow plugs.

Thank you

Tiho

Hi Tiho

we are here to assist each other.

when cold started - a minor smoke might be appeared.

Do not believe that all injectors were tested unless you have done it by you (!)

re - glow plugs --- they work only at cold starting and being switched OFF by a relay after engine stable running.

i deem your problem is connected with injectors testing.

cheers/Igor

To Pero2,

Just to confirm again, Denso or Bosch glow-plugs are absolute top quality bar none. It's just the way i work, if you have one dead glow-plug or two I always change all 4 whilst engine cover off & electric supply bar are off car. Also fortunately for me we don't have the extreme cold that you have -4 to -5 would be as low as we would ever see on the very coldest of days. You could try using cold start circuit twice before actually turning engine over, may help with your cold starting.

Bit lost on the next bit, which solenoid are you describing, starter motor or some other device. If starter, they can play up at times, but a FORUM USER on here gives the exact mechanical description of fault, you will have to search out posting. I would not concern yourself to much, if car starts, all OK, if you suspect you have starter motor fault, then you may need new starter. But do not waste money on parts unless your absolutely sure that you have pin pointed problem if indeed you still have one.

Regards,Beagh.

Hi,

an update on state of affairs; the car still doesn't work well, sometimes starts OK , sometimes not (all 4 glow plugs were replaced by Bosch ones). I have noticed one other symptom: idle revs, normally at around 850, go up to 1250, if I turn on the fan (just the fan, not the AC) until the car is warmed up (some 15 minutes of driving)- this is strange as this little fan shouldn't be such a burdon to the car, so I thought this must be something with the software. Reseted the ECU (unpluged the Battery for 10 minutes) and this symptom was gone. Strangely enough, the next day it was back!! What's going on- could there be a fault sensor of some sort or something wrong with the ECU or software? I'm getting desperate...

Regards,

Peter.

To pero2,

In regards to your raised idle from cold when heater fan switched on, this is perfectly normal & in no way is a fault despite what people may tell you. You can confirm this via your local Toyota agent, all D4Ds do this. I have 03 model D4D which does exactly the same, you can disconnect Battery as many times as you like it will always return because it is supposed to do this.

As to continuing starting problem, it is quite possible you have starter-motor problem (know you have confirmed cold-start circuit is working ?) but i would be inclined to check all wiring & earth leads first. Do you have a clicking noise from starter when key turned or is engine slow to turn over when key turned, either way you may well be looking at starter-motor problem.

Regards, Beagh.

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

Cheers/Igor

Thank you

Tiho

Hi Tiho

Do not believe that all injectors were tested unless you have done it by you (!)

re - glow plugs --- they work only at cold starting and being switched OFF by a relay after engine stable running.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

I didn't want to sound rude if you felt so, please accept my apologies.

I think you might be right as the starter is turning, but the engine doesn't crank.

And yes, I haven't tested the injectors. I don't think that I can do it myself.

I would go to a local garage on Monday to ask them how much would cost me to do so.

Thanks

Tiho

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

Cheers/Igor

Thank you

Tiho

Hi Tiho

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

I think you might be right as the starter is turning, but the engine doesn't crank.

I would go to a local garage on Monday to ask them how much would cost me to do so.

Thanks

Tiho

hello

yes it is definitely in order to test all the injectors - one'd have both wrenches and fuel testing stand provided with feeding wire for solenoids.

this is deemed to be done by workshop.

cheers/Igor

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

Cheers/Igor

Thank you

Tiho

Hi Tiho

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks

Tiho

hello

yes it is definitely in order to test all the injectors - one'd have both wrenches and fuel testing stand provided with feeding wire for solenoids.

cheers/Igor

Igor

Thank you. I am going to take the car to a friend who is mechanic. I would go to local garage to check the injectors.

Tiho

Hello Guys,

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Tiho

hello

Cheers/Igor

Thank you

Tiho

Hi Tiho

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks

Tiho

hello

cheers/Igor

Igor

Thank you. I am going to take the car to a friend who is mechanic. I would go to local garage to check the injectors.

Tiho

good luck

Igor