Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2c Performance

xxxxxxx

hey guys i hav 2c engine in my 88 corolla.... its 2000cc diesel.. i hav just installed a exaust system and a HKS intake in it but

yet there is no change in its performance ...

and i really dont know wat else to do to get maximum performance??????? plz help me out

hey guys i hav 2c engine in my 88 corolla.... its 2000cc diesel.. i hav just installed a exaust system and a HKS intake in it but

and i really dont know wat else to do to get maximum performance??????? plz help me out

Such a kit would not give any real benefits when fitted to a petrol powered car but as you have a diesel engine I think you should forget about performance :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

The best to improve on your 2C is to buy a used CT20 Turbo (or any turbo that'll fit). Have the exhaust modified for that. It'll turn to a 2C Turbo, which is the stock engine that I have (1997 2C-T), which does 15-20hp or so over the non-turbo version. OF course, it's a solid engine and you could increase the boost for more power - or better, get a good turbo. No piston mods needed for the stock CT20.

• 1 month later...

i agree with ash i u wont get much more power from a diesel naturally u'll need 2 get it forced inducted i have a 2c lite ace with a tdo5 turbo running 15 psi and i have no trouble keeping up with modified starlets, u could make just a little more with headers but boost is the best way to go also add an intercooler and get specs on the pump cause u,ll need 2 increase the fuel load.

• 5 years later...

Old post, I know but this info might be useful to others.

My experience with a 2C marinized, (so that would be a 2 sea then ha ha) is despite a free flow water cooled exhaust (manifold and pipe) and K&N type filter, there were zero gains UNTIL, I increased the fueling at WOT. There is a screw which is sealed by the factory with a tab that needs to be broken (there are instructions on the web with pictures). Ideally you need a egt gauge so as not to over-fuel (overheat). Quite clearly Toyota were very conservative with the factory settings. (BTW I have seen JDM 2C's with 77bhp standard, vs. NDM's quoted at 73bhp. I suspect the only difference is the tab).

Because I am still setting the boat up for max. ecconomy / good cruising speed, the prop is a little too large (overgeared). Yet, following the fuel mod. I saw an increase in speed by 20% which can only be attributed to additional torque (same day, same conditions). The EGT gauge isn't hooked up yet, so the ghetto method was to increase fuel until black smoke appeared, then adjust for less fuel until the smoke has completley dissapeared.

The reason old diesels do not increase in performance via air-flow mods. in isolation, is due to how they work Vs. Petrol / gas or modern diesels. So, what you do is to increase the air by as much as possible, then you add additional fuel (just like a petrol engine), but unlike a petrol engine, you can increase power just by adding more fuel, in so doing you make it run hotter, which is why you need additional air to cool it down. I.E. a diesel which is too ''rich'' is also too hot, whereas a petrol which is too rich is cooler (I also have a VERY turbocharged 3SGTE, which throws bucket loads of fuel in to keep it cool LOL).

I am pretty sure the myth that older NA Diesel's aren't worth tuning is because most people don't fully appreciate the difference between them and petrol engines, they increase the air-flow but leave the fueling alone. Result: Cooler running but no additional power / torque, cos there is no ECU to tell it that it can put more fuel in.

BTW. The benefits of using an inboard diesel on my little 17ft (now) boat are primarily economy and sound. At 35mph it purrrrrs, whereas my friends ears are bleeding with their 2 or even 4 stoke petrols after 1/2 hr. at that speed.

Also, should water get in the engine bay, there are zero electronics (fuel pump is isolated), you can't have that peace of mind with the latest ECU diesels.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I hope you guys will still be able to read this message, particularly Dread.  I also have a 17-footer yamaha boat and I intend to use a NA Toyota 2c with the car transmission.  May I ask what propeller size you use/d in your boat and whether you have a marine gearbox installed. THANKS

Hello guys, thank you for adding me to your group.