Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Yaris

pork_pie

The official website has images of the updated yaris but is rather sketchy on prices and specs.

Anywhere one can find accurate information? There is no info on a diesel.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T V O R

• pork_pie

• Parts-King

• alfiejts

T2, From £8585

TR From £9540

SR From £10915

T Spirit From £12005

Not sure about a Diesel option

Prices and spec's is listed under the "Grades" tab

T2, From £8585

TR From £9540

SR From £10915

T Spirit From £12005

Not sure about a Diesel option

Prices and spec's is listed under the "Grades" tab

Apperently there is a diesel option that derives from Toyotas Optimal Drive engineering. It has a 6 speed manual or MM with paddleshifts. Alledgedly does 68.9 mpg combined. All i want to know does it have cruise control.

EDIT:

I just found this in a product bulletin

"The Yaris 1.33 Dual VVT-i and 1.4D-4D engines benefit from an all new 6 speed manual transmission

as standard. This newly developed six speed manual gearbox provides the optimum gear ratios for

performance and fuel economy and with an additional gear over the outgoing model it provides

greater levels of high speed refinement. In addition a 6 speed MultiMode transmission, with Paddle

shifts is also available."

No cruise control on any of my info

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT:

I just found this in a product bulletin

"The Yaris 1.33 Dual VVT-i and 1.4D-4D engines benefit from an all new 6 speed manual transmission

as standard. This newly developed six speed manual gearbox provides the optimum gear ratios for

performance and fuel economy and with an additional gear over the outgoing model it provides

greater levels of high speed refinement. In addition a 6 speed MultiMode transmission, with Paddle

shifts is also available."

No cruise control on any of my info

Kingo :thumbsup:

The prices are published as are the specs on the official website (finally).Compared to my 56 plate, the new diesel Yaris gains bluetooth, an extra gear, slightly more torque and a new set of alloys as well as other cosmetic upgrades. The price for a manual with met paint takes you to around £13250,

I have spoken to the dealership about this to confirm I am a dissapointed that features such as cruise control, all round electric windows, auto lights, wipers and other toys are not available even as options. Most if not all competitors offer these as standard or as optional extras. The Yaris T spirit is not lavishly eqipeed anyway for the price.

ESP is available as an option but sometimes customers have to face a right ballache if they order a car with this fitted (having to wait months or even get fobbed off by picking a stock vehicle minus this invaluable feature)If you wanted it standard you will end up with a 1.8 SR.

Some might say there is little market for features like this on small cars but there are a lot of us who wish to downsize and still retain the features commonplace in family cars. There is no way I want to purchase a diesel T spirit Auris which sells at £17.5k.

I just think the lack of menu pricing and flexibility is really shortsighted of Toyota.

I agree, I think there's defantly a market for small well equiped cars. The Yaris is nearly as quiet and comfy as an Auris, I would welcome upmarket features, anyway the IQ has them. Most people don't need a big car, just some toys. The way forward in my view.

I agree, I think there's defantly a market for small well equiped cars. The Yaris is nearly as quiet and comfy as an Auris, I would welcome upmarket features, anyway the IQ has them. Most people don't need a big car, just some toys. The way forward in my view.

I second this view. Given the economic conditions, the pressure we are all under from the global warming gang etc etc, smaller cars with lots of kit (as standard and/or extras) must surely be the sensible way to go.

When I finally replace my E12 Corolla T-Spirit it will almost certainly be with a smaller, more eco friendly, car. BUT I will want the same toys and a few more besides to choose from. If Toyota can't be bothered (and they do appear to be losing the plot in a lot of areas these days) then I will go elsewhere. And I say that as a Toyota fan of many many years standing.

Yaris - size would be my target but I couldn't cope with the current model. The interior plastics are god awful quality in my view and I would much prefer a real auto box and not the halfway house MMT. But that is all personal opinion of course.

The 2009 Model year Sr doesnt look as good as the 2008 model.

Would like to try one with more power though........

Agree with that, the new SR looks rubbish and no mention of the built in satnav unit either, which is disapointing. Looks like its also lost the scuff plates and rear spoiler... no mention if it's been lowered either.

On the plus side, could see residuals for the 2008 car holding quite well, given the new model is not aswell equipped.

Is the diesel getting the power boost? Thought it was just the 1.3 - 1.33 with optimal drive? The website is listing the diesel as having the same 0 -60 time and same power, just being offered with a 6 speed box...

The 2009 Model year Sr doesnt look as good as the 2008 model.

Would like to try one with more power though........

Agree with that, the new SR looks rubbish and no mention of the built in satnav unit either, which is disapointing. Looks like its also lost the scuff plates and rear spoiler... no mention if it's been lowered either.

On the plus side, could see residuals for the 2008 car holding quite well, given the new model is not aswell equipped.

Is the diesel getting the power boost? Thought it was just the 1.3 - 1.33 with optimal drive? The website is listing the diesel as having the same 0 -60 time and same power, just being offered with a 6 speed box...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diesel has the same power (89bhp) but a bit more torque - 150lbs ft compared to 141 and better mpg (69mpg compared to 63)

Still the range represents lousy value for money for what you get.

I second this view. Given the economic conditions, the pressure we are all under from the global warming gang etc etc, smaller cars with lots of kit (as standard and/or extras) must surely be the sensible way to go.

When I finally replace my E12 Corolla T-Spirit it will almost certainly be with a smaller, more eco friendly, car. BUT I will want the same toys and a few more besides to choose from. If Toyota can't be bothered (and they do appear to be losing the plot in a lot of areas these days) then I will go elsewhere. And I say that as a Toyota fan of many many years standing.

Yaris - size would be my target but I couldn't cope with the current model. The interior plastics are god awful quality in my view and I would much prefer a real auto box and not the halfway house MMT. But that is all personal opinion of course.

I am pleased I am not the only one who thinks this as well. I was looking at the specs of the FIesta and Honda Jazz and their spec blows the doors off the Yaris big time. I phoned the Toyota dealership last week about cruise control and rear window winders and other toys and he said that Toyota are dividing their range into categories where the Aygo, IQ and Yaris are divided into the "City" section. And the "Auris" and "Avensis" in the Family section. I never heard so much bull***** in my life.

I took my Yaris in this morning to book in for warranty work and whilst I was waiting for my courtesy car, I sat in a new 2009 Yaris. I shook my head in disbelief that Toyota have been so stubborn in not raising this model to a higher level. The only diff was a new nose, new plastic covers for the wheels, an extra cog and a "stop start cog" knob

Back to your comment about the autobox.........

It is funny how the American market Yaris have a conventional torque convertor auto (AND CRUISE CONTROL FFS) yet euro models have this absolutely awful MM unit. I should know, mine has it.

The thing is a torque convertor will never provide the green credentials that the government says that manufacturers should follow to the letter. However the latest BMWs does somewhat close the gap between their torque convertor autos and the equivalent manual. Whilst their autos do without the stop start gubbins, they stil retain the brake regeneration system and it is this what others cars should have too.

Get this. Their 318 diesel auto saloon does 52 mpg!!!!!!!

We all know torque convertor auto units are nice and silky smooth.

The MM unit in all Toyotas provides the same mpg and CO2 output as its equivalent manual and thats that appeals to the environmentalists and govt. I must admit feeling lucky to having a diesel auto that does more than 60mpg but I dont enjoy driving it.

Also it is cheaper to repair/replace a MM unit (apparently) than a slush box and a CVT.

CVT?

If you recall the latest Jazz has a automated clutch now as opposed to the last series CVT (My Mum had a 2003 jazz with a CVT and it was lush)

Yet....... Jazz's in other markets have a 5 speed torque convertor auto!!!!!!!!!

I do agree that Toyota have lost the plot by not giving us what we really want.

I am considering another make by Easter.

Apparently, the CVT is coming in March in the Yaris, the auto thing is right though, when Down Under I rented a Corolla(Auris T2) and that was full 4 speed auto. They don't do the MMT in Yaris there either.

I think the new 2009 Yaris with the new 1.33 engine will be a smart purchase. Over 100hp, over 55mpg and it will be £30 a year in road tax when you come to renew it. The six speed gear box is long over due and with the stop/start system it will be as cheap as an Aygo to run, but without compromising on size and safety features. It gets my thumbs up :thumbsup:

I think the new 2009 Yaris with the new 1.33 engine will be a smart purchase. Over 100hp, over 55mpg and it will be £30 a year in road tax when you come to renew it. The six speed gear box is long over due and with the stop/start system it will be as cheap as an Aygo to run, but without compromising on size and safety features. It gets my thumbs up :thumbsup:

The stop/start is a good idea but there alot of variables that need to be met before the engine will stop. It wont stop everytime you come to a stop ;)

Mart.

The stop/start is a good idea but there alot of variables that need to be met before the engine will stop. It wont stop everytime you come to a stop ;)

Don’t know much about until I found this on the Auris...

When the car is stationary, with the transmission in neutral and the driver's foot off the clutch pedal, the engine automatically and quietly stops to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. When the driver re-engages the clutch, the engine automatically restarts. This brings particular benefits in urban traffic, with a potential 15 per cent improvement in the amount of fuel used and CO2 emissions

In a world-first design, the system has a permanently engaged starter gear mechanism: the starter motor is in direct contact with the ring gear on the engine, which means the engine stops and starts quickly and quietly. Compared to the 1.4 VVT-i, the start-up noise level has been reduced by 9dB and starting time cut from 0.7 to 0.4 seconds.

I also believe there is an override button if you don’t want that facility on... Sounds good :thumbsup:

So it looks like they've dropped the T3 model for 2009 and downgraded the TR spec to replace the T3. The TR no longer gets alloy wheels.

It also looks like the SR spec has been "downgraded" to replace the TR. It only gets 15" alloy wheels. There's no mention of sat nav and "bluetooth/usb" is an option on the SR, so it looks like the TomTom unit has been dropped and the SR is left with the standard radio/cd unit with the same bluetooth option that the rest of the range has.

So with the SR you get the new 1.33VVTI 100hp engine and six speed gearbox and you get a new "sports interior and steering wheel" whatever that looks like. You also get the analogue instruments of the 1.8SR - but I prefer the digital anyway, and a "unique" radiator grill...

You lose the 16" alloys (which is what my wife really loved). No mention of the alloy gear knob (but it could be there)....

No mention of the lowered suspension and roof spoiler.

No more bluetooth or USB as standard.

I'm in a quandry. The existing 1.3 is powerful enough, but the gearboxes are iffy, so the new box would have been nice. Its the 16" alloys and spoiler that set off the current SR - so I think the new one will get a mixed reaction.

(oh and I've just realised that on the 2009 section, there's no mention of the 1.8SR any more.....)

By the way - have you seen the "Once in a blue moon" offers on the Toyota web site on the 2008 model?

Hmmm

The 1.8 SR is still available but probably a special order. It looks like Toyota is going down the reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption route hence selling the previous models at a discounted price. I can see more car manufactures doing the same thing in the future.

The 1.8 SR is still available but probably a special order. It looks like Toyota is going down the reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption route hence selling the previous models at a discounted price. I can see more car manufactures doing the same thing in the future.

Dealer told me the 1.8 SR has been discontinued purely because they did not shift enough of them to make it profitable.

• 2 weeks later...

The revised Yaris (Phase 2 Mk 2...?) features a few minor styling updates such as the new front and rear bumpers that gain protective plastic moldings, revised headlights and tail lamps and, a narrower front grille. Toyota has also refreshed the cabin with new upholstery and trim options.

The most significant change though is hidden under the bonnet as the 2009 Yaris gains a new 1.33-liter Dual VVT-i 4-cylinder petrol engine that was first introduced on the Auris, the facelifted Yaris will be available for the first time with Toyota's new Stop&Start technology...

It is with deep regret that I will be getting rid of my beloved Yaris after nearly 2.5 years of ownership.

There were issues:

The car never gave me any problems but everytime I took it for a service, I had to rebook it in for warranty work (stuff that was diagnosed by the mechanics - not me) which I feel would be needed again if I kept the car for its intended period (about 6-8 years). Transmission clutches, 2x ECUs and Turbo replacement after just 22k miles does not bode well for the future and they are not cheap items either. I just feel I have been lucky with my m/m transmission so far whereas so many on others have not been so and I feel in a few years I will get some grief from the unit. Also I feel the need to get a car that offers the toys of their bigger counterparts in a small car. There is a market for such vehicles especially in the current economic climate. Toyota have certainly missed a trick by not offering these features as standard or at least options. I am disappointed that the new yaris has not got these features available and if I wanted them, Id have to buy a T spirit Auris. I had issues with my leather upholstery when I got the car in October 2006 (see my first ever postings) where the quality and installation was below standard (torn leather, saggy hide) and the lack of interest from the dealership and Toyota UK (who were absolutely useless and closed the case without my approval and knowledge) left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.

The car itself is a gem and does what it says on the tin. I will never own a car that is so frugal and so cheap to tax, insure let alone find a diesel auto that does 60 mpg. However I don't think I have a strong case for owning a diesel car anymore - the money saved in tax is then eaten up by the extra cost of servicing , fuel.

I was going to wait for the Toyota Urban Cruiser hoping for the toys but I feel it is time to move to another Japanese make whose name is held in equally high regard.

I have decided to buy a new Honda Jazz which I am getting next month, so I would like to thank you for all your comments and advice.

I wish you all the best with your Yarises.

interestingly enough (well it is for you young-uns out there who care about speed...) the 1.33 engined yaris although packing an extra 14bhp is slower to 60... I guess something to do with the fact you'll be constantly changing gear...!!

interestingly enough (well it is for you young-uns out there who care about speed...) the 1.33 engined yaris although packing an extra 14bhp is slower to 60... I guess something to do with the fact you'll be constantly changing gear...!!

I think you’re missing the point! The purpose of the new 2009 Yaris is to get from A to B as cheaply as possible spewing out as little CO2 as possible. Looking at the figures I think its doing a great job :thumbsup:

I think you’re missing the point! The purpose of the new 2009 Yaris is to get from A to B as cheaply as possible spewing out as little CO2 as possible. Looking at the figures I think its doing a great job :thumbsup:

I realise that's the main purpose of it - however to some people performance matters... in my case the only reason I chose the diesel SR over the petrol was the quicker 0 -60 sprint time... and the fact in gear it would blow the petrol out the water! I also realise the yaris isn't meant to be a performance vehicle, but it's nice to know it can be nippy when needed! In my position, coming down from a 200bhp 3.0 V6 to something 'environmentally sound' it was quite a jump... and the fact the yaris had more power but less emissions than many of its rivals was a massive bonus for me. Again, it all comes down to what you want the car for.

I'm not faulting the new 1.33 engine at all, i'm sure it's a cracking piece of kit. Out of interest (and because i'm too lazy to go look!) how does the 1.0litre engine compare emissions wise to the new 1.33?