Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Yaris

pork_pie

how does the 1.0litre engine compare emissions wise to the new 1.33?

1.33 Engine:

• 101bhp
  • CO2 119
  • 55mpg
  • 108mph
  • 0 – 62: 11.7 seconds

1.0 Engine

• 68bhp
  • CO2 118
  • 56mpg
  • 96mph
  • 0 – 62: 15.7 seconds

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T V O R

• pork_pie

• Parts-King

• alfiejts

The 1.8 SR is still available but probably a special order. It looks like Toyota is going down the reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption route hence selling the previous models at a discounted price. I can see more car manufactures doing the same thing in the future.

Dealer told me the 1.8 SR has been discontinued purely because they did not shift enough of them to make it profitable.

Our DP told me today that we are expecting 2 x 1.8 SR's sometime next week so they are still available for now.

He also said they would be £9,900 instead of £13k ish too.

Mart.

After trying to buy a 1.3 3dr yaris right at the end of last year with no luck! (toyota had no 3dr stock left in the colour my wife wanted as the new spec was probably being put into production), my wife purchased a new spec one last month.

Whilst it may be disappointing about the reduced spec, i think its still a great car.

Yes there is no sat nav or bluetooth connection(my wife strangely didn't like the look of the dash with the sat nav anyway and would hardly need it - i have a tom tom she can use if she ever needs to anyway).

Theres no exterior chrome trim, chrome exhaust finisher( this would not cost alot or be hard to fit)

Its not lowered and only has 15" alloys(this doesn't seem to make a massive difference to the look but would have been nice though).

And the biggy, it has no spoiler! The only way it looks any different from standard on the exterior is the SR Badge and different alloys!

Also the bodywork differences are only small and don't make a big difference either.

However,

compared to the 1.0 yaris i had from new(56 plate), the interior is way way better. Digital-analogue dials( if you see what i mean, as on the 1.8) look awesome. The dash plastics somehow look softer yet better quality and are black which look way better and match the cool looking upholstery. A funky gearstick trim. The economy and emmisions of a 1.0 engine with more power then the previous 1.3 and lower tax. Stop start technology (my wife found this a little strange at first but now loves it!). The chrome trim on the interior looks awesome with the black dash/upholstery.

My wife rightly insisted on a spoiler though, and a deal was struck with the dealer and i believe the SR model should definately come with this as standard. With all the revisions made and the extra spoiler i believe it is still an excellent car.

The car is a 3 dr in black and with the alloys and spoiler combined with the privacy glass which comes as standard now, it looks awesome.

how come toyota and probably other companies are now able to get the C02 down for the updated version even with it being a 1.33 engine yet couldnt in the first phase new yaris? doesnt this sort of thing tell you that they cold have doen it all along but just didnt bother?

how come toyota and probably other companies are now able to get the C02 down for the updated version even with it being a 1.33 engine yet couldnt in the first phase new yaris? doesnt this sort of thing tell you that they cold have doen it all along but just didnt bother?

Money – basically. Hefty fines for car companies that don’t bring down the emissions and improve mpg. Got some info somewhere which I will dig out about the emissions situation.

Regarding the engine, the 1.33 is a completely new engine, and with the Stop/Start system and other bits of engineering no new Yaris has over 120g of CO2 per km.

The boring bit:

Dual VVT-I, Dual VVT-i (variable valve timing – intelligent) provides continuous, variable control of both the intake and exhaust valves to optimise performance and fuel consumption. This also yields more torque at low engine speeds and helps reduce exhaust emissions.

New pistons were developed with a smaller contact area to help produce quick and efficient combustion. Piston weight was also significantly reduced, from 280g to 180g – a 36 per cent saving – which means they use less energy. For leaner combustion, an oil jet was integrated into the design.

Toyota engineers streamlined the intake channel and used computer simulation to optimise airflow. Surfaces were made smooth and any angles or sharp edges were rounded off to help reduce turbulence.

More weight has been saved by using a cylinder head cover and resin intake manifold. In addition, the highly rigid aluminium crankcase is connected to the transaxle casing, improving rigidity of the joint in the powertrain and thus reducing noise and vibration. An all-new camshaft profile was designed, reducing weight and friction.

Money – basically. Hefty fines for car companies that don’t bring down the emissions and improve mpg. Got some info somewhere which I will dig out about the emissions situation.

which basically means they could have done it all along if they were bothered enough.

which basically means they could have done it all along if they were bothered enough.

OR....they have been developing it for years? ;)

Mart.

You try it!!!

These things don’t just happen over night, it takes years of research and development and money

The Stop/Start technology for example is fairly new, but it will spread to other car manufactures as time progresses. No doubt there will be another engine in the Yaris or its equivalent in the future.

Do you think the reducing of the spec is in some way associated with the economic crisis - perhaps they believe that a cheaper (!) car with a lower spec may be more appealing to the majority of the punters?

The Stop/Start technology for example is fairly new, but it will spread to other car manufactures as time progresses. No doubt there will be another engine in the Yaris or its equivalent in the future.

In fairness, Stop/Start has been around for donkey's years. We had a 1984 VW Golf fitted with this and they had used it on models dating back to the late-70s. What has changed is that the engines are now electronically managed which should make the whole thing more reliable.

I think what would help with emmissons in general is making the vehicles much lighter. A move away from using CO2 measures (which can easily be fudged) to using kerb weight as the basis for taxation would help no end.

Do you think the reducing of the spec is in some way associated with the economic crisis - perhaps they believe that a cheaper (!) car with a lower spec may be more appealing to the majority of the punters?

They are not reducing the specification. The T-Spirit still has all the toys as the last one with some improved revisions; same as the phase one Yaris was updated in 2003

Maybe the Sat Nav in the dash idea in the SR was worth more trouble considering the amount of problems some people have had.

Considering you can buy a TomTom for less than a £100 (and take it anywhere) maybe Toyota has decided to ditch that idea (well they have!)

Improvements are made and introduced. One example is the split shelf in the boot. Owners didn’t like it so it’s been changed in the new one, its not reducing spec, its listening to the buyers :thumbsup:

I test drove a diesel MMT 2009 Yaris earlier this week and it was such a good drive. I will be getting the 1.33 petrol MMT though and have been told it will be smoother than the diesel version. It certainly felt much more responsive than the Aygo and hardly any pressure on the accelerator to stay at 30 mph.

There is no cruise control but for me, I am excited to have a glove box since I am upgrading from an Aygo! In fact, I will now be able to go down bumpy country lanes without wishing I had allowed a few hours gap between going out and having my dinner...

Its all relative; as an Aygo driver, all the extra features seem really space age but I am sure if you are used to driving a big family car, you might be disappointed.

What has narked me off a lot with Toyota is that they still have not got any brochures for the 2009 and when I went in to look at a new Yaris, all they had was the older model brochures but yet the new models were on display. The printing people really do need to be a bit quicker off the mark!

What has narked me off a lot with Toyota is that they still have not got any brochures for the 2009 and when I went in to look at a new Yaris, all they had was the older model brochures but yet the new models were on display. The printing people really do need to be a bit quicker off the mark!

I totally agree with you there......................All my local dealer had was a 2009 model price list............no up to date brochures.............and no forecast for when the brochures will be available :(

EDIT:.........I have just spoken to Toyota GB who tell me the new model Yaris brochures will be out "Early March"...............Watch this space.....lol

Early March!? Thats mad!

There I was in the showroom with the old Yaris brochure and leaning on the wall and writing the MPG figures and CO2 etc next to the old model specs as there was a chart listing both old and new MPG etc.

I queried if they had one available to print off for me to take away but they could not even provide me with that so when I was going through the sales motion and trying to make up my mind on what to get, I had to keep getting off the chair and walk across the showroom and check this wall chart :censor:

I hope the people who put together the brochure have no input on the car's construction ! :P

i have driven the new facelift yaris with the 1.33 engine, i was not impressed. its very sluggish low down in the revs and does not feel like 100bhp. 6 speed box is good tho. and the eco mode, which cuts the engine off when u come to a half amd put it in neutral. then starts up agen wen u put the clutch in.

They are not reducing the specification. The T-Spirit still has all the toys as the last one with some improved revisions; same as the phase one Yaris was updated in 2003

Maybe the Sat Nav in the dash idea in the SR was worth more trouble considering the amount of problems some people have had.

Considering you can buy a TomTom for less than a £100 (and take it anywhere) maybe Toyota has decided to ditch that idea (well they have!)

Improvements are made and introduced. One example is the split shelf in the boot. Owners didn’t like it so it’s been changed in the new one, its not reducing spec, its listening to the buyers :thumbsup:

They are reducing the specs....

The SR has the same spec as the old TR but the price hasn't reduced.

The lost rear spoiler is a £400 option. The 16" wheels are an £800 option. The chrome gear knob is a £40 option. The missing door scuff plates are a £40 option. The missing bluetooth integration is another £400 - even if you ignore the fact that this option just covers the phone and doesn't have the sat nav.

That's £1700 of kit that's standard fit on the 2008 SR that's been removed for the 2009 model and the price has stayed the same. (and that's without mentioning the lowered suspension and wider tyres.....)

The new TR is the same spec as the old T3 (give or take) you lose the extras that were fitted to the 2008 TR.....

I totally agree with you there......................All my local dealer had was a 2009 model price list............no up to date brochures.............and no forecast for when the brochures will be available :(

EDIT:.........I have just spoken to Toyota GB who tell me the new model Yaris brochures will be out "Early March"...............Watch this space.....lol

Printed brochures from Toyota have been a huge c*ck up this year (09) and Toyota know it! However, all is not lost, you can download an eBrochure from the TGB site, I will add some to our own website ASAP to help out

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's called progress. I once owned an 8 track in the car (many on here will not have even heard of one) and today I own an ipod. The 1.33 has a continually engaged starter motor to make it quieter and quicker to start, stop start cars in 1984 didn't have this, they have moved on as technology has too! Remember Toyota's ambition? To produce cars with ZERO CO2, now that will be some way off but when they set their mind to something......

Kingo :thumbsup:

You are looking at the negatives; take a look at what you are gaining instead :thumbsup:

What exactly do I gain?

The 1.33 engine might have a little more power over the 1.3 but its acceleration is actually slower than the outgoing 1.3 model.

So its slightly more economical, the road tax is a bit cheaper, but its a bit slower.

If the economy and saving a little on road tax were important to me, I'd have chosen the diesel 1.4 which has the same road tax, is far more economical and is even faster than either of the 1.3 or 1.33 engines.

My wife fell in love with her SR in the showroom because of the 16-inch alloys, roof spoiler and lowered suspension that set it out from the rest of the range.

Instead the only visible feature now is that the back windows are dark tinted - which might be cool to a 17 year old cruising down Southend esplanade on a Saturday night in his Ford Capri but I can't conceive that it has any benefit in a Yaris except maybe for young mums carying their kids in the back. It might be useful to some but it doesn't make the car stand out as a style feature....

People come up to my wife saying that they love her car - the wheels and spoiler really set it off as different - but that's not going to happen to a 2009 SR.....

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the wing mirrors at 1.45 into the video, anyone else seen these?

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Novel :yes:

Mercedes have had them for years ;)

As stated above American cars have the torque converter auto gearbox but they also have (relatively) large and powerful engines. These engines have no trouble working with the less efficient type of auto gearbox.

Most European family cars have much smaller, more efficient and less powerful engines and cannot cope so well with the torque converter. In order to get performance alongside economy it seems that torque converters are out.

It's simply a case of horses for courses.

I drive my semi auto Yaris fast but with moderate acceleration (even for Yaris) and I find the gearbox works OK for me.

I have never used it in manual mode - what comments do you have for this mode of operation?

Novel :yes:

Mercedes have had them for years ;)

Many cars have them, and as you know that’s not my point.

Has anyone seen them on a Yaris before as standard?

In the video the normal wing indicators are present on some shots, are the wing mirror indicators an optional extra?

• 2 weeks later...

If you go onto the Japanese web site (www.toyota.jp) the Japanese Yaris's have those type of mirrors....

My guess is that the French built ones supplied to Europe all have indicator repeaters in the front wings (as they're not going to make some bodies with holes in the wings and some without...) and the Japanese made Yaris's for the far east have the lights in the mirors....

Can't see it being an option, as you'd stil be left with the old repeater unit on your front wing....