Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lexus Style Lights

Shaun Butler

Hi All. Dunno if this has come up before, but are Lexus stle rear lights available to fit my 98 avensis?

I would have thought so, but I tend to think they look a bit a tacky on cars that they wern't designed for, the worst offenders are on non Toyota cars like every Towny that has them on a Corsa or Saxo.

Each to their own though, I'm sure there is a company that has made some for the Avensis somewhere.

Does anyone actually know of any companies that do produce these? I'm desparately trying to change mine to!!

The rear lights are the only part of the car that isnt ugly !! Keep them standard i say :D

I don't agree with you here, the old style Avensis isn't an ugly car, IMHO. It may not be breathtaking in it's standard guise, but a little work and you get a very decent looking motor. I personally like the saloon in black with a decent set of rims. If tastefully done I think that some rear light modification could improve the looks, though I haven't seen any Lexus style ones for that particular model.

Mind you I've got a new generation Avensis which I find particularly pretty, but others have criticised it's looks, comparing it to the new Vectra for example. Personally I don't agree, but each to their own :D

I thought it might stir a comment ... the old avensis is okay i guess but a bit boring.. i think the rear lights are its best feature.

The new avensis on the other hand is very nice.. especially the fully loaded version.

do you mean toyota altexxa style lights???????

I have had a few lexusses (say lexi and die) and am afrain I don;t know what "lexus" lights are...

if a saxo driver mentioned them I'd think altezza tho.

I thought it might stir a comment ... the old avensis is okay i guess but a bit boring.. i think the rear lights are its best feature.

The new avensis on the other hand is very nice.. especially the fully loaded version.

:thumbsup: (even though mine isn't completely loaded :D )

Does anyone actually know of any companies that do produce these? I'm desparately trying to change mine to!!

:fishyface:

Thankfully no body sells Lexus lights for an Avensis :thumbsup:

Cheapest option if you want to do anything is to tint them.

sorted avensis.. i remember yours at billing.. had to admire the work that went into it. Didnt it have a GT4 engine in it?

Cheers Adi, i was going the GT4 route for JAE but got beaten by time due to my shoulder op :(

Have since decided to try something a bit different as someone has already done the GT4 conversion in a Avensis and hopefully it should be done fairly soon. Not going to give the idea away this time but am as confident as you can be of having 270 at the wheels once done which will do me nicely.

Ken

Then again Ken, the amber colour from the lights, matches your car!! Its a bit of an eye sore, when you have anything else..

I called out 'Chipsaway' to tint mine, but did a crap job, so I told him to remove what he'd done...

Then again Ken, the amber colour from the lights, matches your car!! Its a bit of an eye sore, when you have anything else..

I called out 'Chipsaway' to tint mine, but did a crap job, so I told him to remove what he'd done...

I've tinted mine in a dark smoke Purvesh, the tint spray cost me a tenner and didn't take long to do. Just took the lights out, cleaned them and applied a few coats, easy as that.

How bad was the tint job "chipsaway" did btw?

Well I wanted to keep the lights red, as are the 307s.. so he tried to find the nearest colour match. He cleaned the surface like you did, and sprayed away. Although he was puting light coats on, it looked like orange peel... :o Obviously I was expecting the bulbs shining through to look dimmer, but this was something else!

He told me, he can take off what he'd done, but I still paid him for his time!

U say you just cleaned them and applied a few coats, I heard people saying how you have to lightly sand the surface etc but doesnt that create a scratched look even after paint and lacquer. I couldn't bare it if i messed up so I'm looking for another company to do the job!

U haven't got a pic of your lights after you tinted them have you?? :thumbsup: , the last one I saw of your car they were standard.

Thanks for the info!

U say you just cleaned them and applied a few coats, I heard people saying how you have to lightly sand the surface etc but doesnt that create a scratched look even after paint and lacquer. I couldn't bare it if i messed up so I'm looking for another company to do the job!

U haven't got a pic of your lights after you tinted them have you?? :thumbsup: , the last one I saw of your car they were standard.

Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the late reply but i haven't been able to take a pic until today.

You don't need to sand the lights to put on tint spray, just make sure the lights are clean and dry. It is a absolute doodle to tint your rear lights, first unclip the bulb holder and take it out of the way, then undo the 3 bolts holding the light in and remove the light. Then clean and dry the light and lay it on some newspaper. Your now ready for spraying.

First time i tried i used Folia tec tint spray and it is rubbish, it ran everywhere so i took it off and bought the savage tint spray made by trilogy. This is very easy to use, you spray it on lightly in even sweeps of the lights roughly 30cms away from the light, wait for a coat to dry and reapply, i used 3 coats to do mine and still had half a tin left. It's costs £12.99 a tin and comes in black, red, green and blue available from A1 motorstores.

New001_001.sized.jpg

I am looking for a cheap RH rear light lens for my 2002 1.8 GS hatch if anyone does go for replacing their cluster.

The wife decided to see if she could knock a lamp post down with the rear light.. the lampost won and i have a nice cracked lens and a crease in the body just below the light :wacko:

No problem Ken.. Thanks for doing that though, looks :thumbsup: ! I'm thinking of going for the all red option, not sure how it'l turn out though! Just to confirm, you didn't use any lacquer.. if not its probably a matt finish? Is the amount of light coming through decreased alot?

No problem Ken.. Thanks for doing that though, looks :thumbsup: ! I'm thinking of going for the all red option, not sure how it'l turn out though! Just to confirm, you didn't use any lacquer.. if not its probably a matt finish? Is the amount of light coming through decreased alot?

Yep a matt finish and the ammount of light hasn't deminished at all, had my mot today and it passed with flying colours.

97Passeo has tinted his red, might be worth a look at his before deciding to have a go yourself :thumbsup:

But don't pay anyone else to do it as it is sooo easy to do yourself :yes:

No lacquer involved at all, just polish the lights 24hrs after you do it. If you arn't happy a bit of turps will take the tint spray off but don't forget to wash it off asap.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links