Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 G/box Probs

stevemr2

im having probs with the g/box on my 92 tubby which has an lsd.....hats happening is its pretty notchy and jams in reverse a lot but does not jam in other gears.....anyone had same probs or could it just be down to the oil....im using a fully sythetic lsd gear oil but not sure if its ok for it.....what would you reccomend??

Notchy and clunky is the characteristic of mr2 boxes across all revisions. Is it happeneing when cold only or always? I sometimes get trouble puttin it in second almost like theres something blocking it from going in. But usually its ok. Its the only part of my car that I hate. The gbox really does suck on mr2s.

My knackered rs turbo feels better to shift.

It's probably not this but sometimes leather gear surrounds can droop down into the gates and cause a bit of resistance...

More likely that the selctor is on its way out though. Ganaerally speaking if you're having a spot of bother getting in gear or it starts thowing things out of gear then you know for sure that your selector ball has seen better days. I don't know what's like to fix on MR2s, but on my Golf it wasn't too bad (just f*ckin' fiddly)!

Apparently the fully synthetic Redline MT90 can help reduce this problem. My father in law knows an oil supplier who apparently sell every trype of vehicle oil under the sun. When I get the chance I'll find out if they do something equivlent to MT90 and see how much it is. If it's significantly cheaper, I'll get some to those who want it. This won't be any time soon though, since I'm not even going to entertain this until the summer months.

It happens when hot or cold....prob a bit worse after a thrash....the notchy gear thing aint to much of a worry as i always get them ok and it dont jump out....the main worry is when it jams in reverse.....i have a knack now where i dont fully engage reverse,i just have it in gear and no more,when it sticks i have to force like mad on stick and sometimes bang the cluth out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links