Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticking Throttle ?

cmclean

Just got a new Auris SR a couple of weeks ago and noticed this little problem. When you change gear, the engine revs rise by 200-300 rpm as soon as the clutch is depressed, then the revs drop to idle as normal. At first I thought it was me getting the pedal timing out of whack seeing as the car's new, but I'm doing the exact same thing as I have been over the last 4 decades. The only way I can stop this is by deliberately releasing the throttle a split second before I go near the clutch. I had the dealer take a look and they couldn't find anything wrong, but I'm sure there is a fault somewhere. I'm thinking along the lines of a lazy Throttle Position Sensor, what's if the Auris has this kind of system. Any idea's or thoughts would be welcome.

Ask the dealer if they've a demonstrator you can have a drive in to compare.

If they both do it's most likely normal.

If they don't it sounds like a fault.

One way or the other you'll know and if it is a fault you'll be able to prove it to the dealer

I have a 1.4 petrol and when the engine is cold and I change gear, the revs rise when the clutch is pressed in. When the engine warms up after a couple of minutes it goes back to normal. I think I read on the forum a while ago that this was possiby to help with emissions?

It's normal, all modern cars do it, and it's all down to keeping emissions down, but you will get used to it.

Some people also advise that it helps smoother down-changes.

When I go from my diesel to a modern petrol car it take a few gear changes to get back in the swing and learn to work with the car doing what it does.

It's normal, all modern cars do it, and it's all down to keeping emissions down, but you will get used to it.

When I go from my diesel to a modern petrol car it take a few gear changes to get back in the swing and learn to work with the car doing what it does.

Modern cars? My first encounter with that behaviour was Mazda 626 Automatic '81 and my tiny 2.2 diesel-Auris doesn't suffer that. My wife's powerful 1.6 petrol feels also like I've forgotten my lead foot on pedal, that's maybe my only change to get all those 124 workhorses out there...

Please Toyota and others, why are you stuffin' those underpowered engines under your hoods? Peugeot 205 GTi was almost 500 kg lighter in eighties, same BHP and displacement. 1.9 was like a rocket compared with these.

Modern cars? My first encounter with that behaviour was Mazda 626 Automatic '81 and my tiny 2.2 diesel-Auris doesn't suffer that. My wife's powerful 1.6 petrol feels also like I've forgotten my lead foot on pedal, that's maybe my only change to get all those 124 workhorses out there...

Please Toyota and others, why are you stuffin' those underpowered engines under your hoods? Peugeot 205 GTi was almost 500 kg lighter in eighties, same BHP and displacement. 1.9 was like a rocket compared with these.

But nowadays people dont want to buy big engine petrol cars as they want to save on fuel and cut pollution etc etc :)

Look at what a mess Ford etc are in over in the USA - they dont really make small engined cars and therefore arent selling any so need massive money handouts from the government.

Toyota on the other hand have thought about what they are doing and are still selling cars everyday :D

Mart.

Just got a new Auris SR a couple of weeks ago and noticed this little problem. When you change gear, the engine revs rise by 200-300 rpm as soon as the clutch is depressed, then the revs drop to idle as normal. At first I thought it was me getting the pedal timing out of whack seeing as the car's new, but I'm doing the exact same thing as I have been over the last 4 decades. The only way I can stop this is by deliberately releasing the throttle a split second before I go near the clutch. I had the dealer take a look and they couldn't find anything wrong, but I'm sure there is a fault somewhere. I'm thinking along the lines of a lazy Throttle Position Sensor, what's if the Auris has this kind of system. Any idea's or thoughts would be welcome.

Hi

i asked exactly the same question when i first got my Auris, because i had not experienced anything like it before, in any of my previous makes of car.

I can tell you that its an emmissions feature, perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

• 5 years later...

i know this is a old thread, but quick question, my throttle is lagging i.e. when i put my foot down the rev needle doesn't shoot up as quick. so i was think there might be slack in the cable to the pedal and you can adjust it. then i realised this car doesnt have a cable throttle but a electric one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've also noticed this- I tap the accelerator, and then the car revs later, with a slight time lag.

That the kind of issue you've noticed?

i think all auris are like this? theres like a 0.5 second lag or so, is this correct or is there a problem? Ours does this

It must be just the way it is then, with Germans especially audi A3 the rev and acceleration is so responsive it's just immediate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links