Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Three Types Of Windscreen For A Yaris?

Craig69

I thought I post a bit of info I was told by Autoglass this week.

I needed my windscreen replacing due to a stone chip, so I booked autoglass to turn up and sort it out. The first time they came they explained that there are three types of windscreen for ther Yaris. Apparently its not related to model or year. The glass is the same shape in each case but the bracket to attach the rear view mirror differs - there are three versions of the bracket. So, typically the guy had one type on the van, there was another type at the sheffield depot, and the type I needed was somewhere down south and they had to get it shipped up. All credit to Autoglass though they came the morning after and sorted it out.

So I guess the moral of the story is if you need a windscreen replacement it might be worth taking off the rear view mirror first and describing the shape of the bracket to avoid any confusion.

For info the bracket types are (as described by the fitter):

Church door (has a groove running vertically for the full length)

Notched (has a rectangular notch at the top and a groove running vertically) - this being mine

'The other one used on French buitl Yaris's' which apparently has a large black surround all way around the bracket

Hope this helps someone.

funnily enough same happened to me, they came out made me take a break from work my boss wasnt happy about, then found they had the wrong screen, so had to wait for another day to get it done. And again taking more time out of work! and recently i had a letter from auto glass billing me for the full price of the windscreen when my insurance covers windscreen damage... wtf.

recently i had a letter from auto glass billing me for the full price of the windscreen when my insurance covers windscreen damage... wtf.

Lovely, I bet that was exactly what you wanted. I'll look forward to getting one of those then.

strange that :blink:

maybe its because mine was a japanese built tsport.

i had to have my screen replaced after a lorry threw a brick at it :censor:

RAC windscreens asked for my Reg number and came the next day no problem,with the correct screen.

when I get my Yaris i'll get all three types of rear view mirror and then in the event of a broken screen, they can bring whichever glass they want to... :P

Thats not a bad idea. To be honest I had always assumed you got a blank windscreen and then they stuck the rear view mirror on.

same happened to me, he knew straight away he brought the wrong windscreen and i dont think he even got out of his van. i had to wait another week to get it changed, all the while the crack on my windscreen gradually grew longer. you'd think they would check with you on the phone if there were several types, i mean its a waste of their time too.

The thing that really surprised me was that autoglass took all the car detals and could even confirmed with me its a mk1 model but I still can't quite believe the rear view mirror bracket is as random as they make out.

• 1 year later...

How do you actually remove the rear view mirror in order to check this? Do you just remove the mirror part (kind of on a ball joint) or does the bracket that is actually attached to the window come off? It doesn't sseem to come off easily and I don't want to force it without knowing what I'm doing!

That's one of the hazards of dealing with glass companies I guess, they don't have access to the Toyota parts catalogues and rely on their own (often duff) listings. If you have the chassis number and check with your dealer, you will get the right type based on the VIN number. The amount of times I ask for chassis numbers, only for somebody to come back at me saying "Well there all the same mate" Sorry but we dont ask for chassis numbers for fun......rant over :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if Autoglass use OEM parts?

And any advice on removing the rear view mirror yourself to have a check?

Does anyone know if Autoglass use OEM parts?

Not a chance of them using GENUINE Toyota glass unless the one they want is not available, such as grey imports. The term OEM is greatly mis-used. A screen might be made for example by Pilkingtons and Toyota use Pilkington glass, but the glass you get from Autoglass might not be the exact same specification, the term OEM covers up a multitude of sins, not specifically in the world of glass, but more likely for filters/brakes/clutches. The impression given is an OEM part is the EXACT same quality and specification, made by the factory who make it for Toyota, sadly this is often not the case, it might be the same factory but the specification is lowered so that the price is lower to the end user.

Fair enough, but I can't imagine anyone ever goes direct to their dealer for an original replacement windcsreen (apart from maybe accident repair where the dealer has a bodyshop). Surely 99% of people go through their insurance and/or direct to glass fitters. Would your average dealer even have a technician with the skills to replace a windscreen?

Most dealers provide the glass and get a National screen company in to do the work as a sublet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Parts King. Autoglass would use a Pilkington screen but like you say, will not be to the exact spec of the original screen (mine's made by Nippon). Can you insist a Toyota spec screen is used if you go through Autoglass?

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone ever comes to this thread in the future searching for info on windscreen replacement please insist that Autoglass (or whichever company does the work) uses a genuine Toyota screen. Autoglass promise that they only use OEM quality glass but like Parts King rightly says above, OEM is a complete and utter misleading phrase. They brought me a Pilkington screen first time and it was so rippled and wavy it was like looking through an empty Coke bottle. Now then, Pilkington do indeed make screens for Toyota, but obviously to a higher specification than the aftermarket ones they provide. After some to'ing and fro'ing with Autoglass they agreed to order a genuine Toyota stamped screen which is a much better quality. Believe me - Autoglass will argue their screens are the same quality but they really arent. They said I got unlucky with the Pilkington one but they should really have checked it before they sent it out. Clearly they send anything out and hope the customer doesn't spot a problem or can't be bothered to complain.

Their screens may be genuine OEM but don't let that make you think the quality is the same. Insist on genuine parts!

Glad you got it sorted, the term OEM makes my blood boil. The manufacturers go to great lengths to have parts made to a high specification, only to find the company who originally made the part sell a cheaper alternative and try to give it the appearance of a genuine one by calling it an OEM part Grrrrr rant over :lol:

If anyone ever comes to this thread in the future searching for info on windscreen replacement please insist that Autoglass (or whichever company does the work) uses a genuine Toyota screen. Autoglass promise that they only use OEM quality glass but like Parts King rightly says above, OEM is a complete and utter misleading phrase. They brought me a Pilkington screen first time and it was so rippled and wavy it was like looking through an empty Coke bottle. Now then, Pilkington do indeed make screens for Toyota, but obviously to a higher specification than the aftermarket ones they provide. After some to'ing and fro'ing with Autoglass they agreed to order a genuine Toyota stamped screen which is a much better quality. Believe me - Autoglass will argue their screens are the same quality but they really arent. They said I got unlucky with the Pilkington one but they should really have checked it before they sent it out. Clearly they send anything out and hope the customer doesn't spot a problem or can't be bothered to complain.

Their screens may be genuine OEM but don't let that make you think the quality is the same. Insist on genuine parts!

Great tip! Thanks for the info Chris! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links