Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Problem

philcook

Hi, was joining motorway 1st, 2nd then 3rd and a loud bang and loss of drive, inspecting car this weekend all linkage looks ok and seems to be operating (although no gears engage). Going to get mate to give a me hand during the week to remove the gear box.

Any one had this happen to them or knows what might have broken?

Also any tips for replacing the gearbox?

Thanks

Phil

Hi, was joining motorway 1st, 2nd then 3rd and a loud bang and loss of drive, inspecting car this weekend all linkage looks ok and seems to be operating (although no gears engage). Going to get mate to give a me hand during the week to remove the gear box.

Thanks

Phil

What miles has car done? ...could actually be the thrust bearing has 'gone through' pressure plate - known it happen in cars in past when clutch is reaching end of it's life.

Also ... I presume you checked a driveshaft has not broken / cracked?

Thanks

Phil

On the surface sounds like a driveshaft has popped out though you won't know the full story until you get under there at the weekend, does the clutch feel like it still operates when you press the pedal ? Or has the pedal 'gone' any giveaway noises prior to this happening ?!

Car done 154k now, had recon box and new clutch at 119k as had 5th gear issue. So clutch should be about ½ way though it’s life, but can check clutch once got box off (clutch pedal still feels normal). However I have found reverse still feel like it engages when engine off, if have engine running it grinds and won’t engage, gears 1-5 there’s nothing.

Could quite well be clutch related (possible but unlikely syncro in gearbox as reverse has no sycro). Going to do what I can till mate can help with gearbox itself, remove drive shafts and get all ancillaries disconnected ready.

Will fix it not going to write car off, i know I will regret it if i do!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links