Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Rav-4

dickiefree

Hi guys, im thinking of buying a Rav-4 for my girlfriends first car, its an N-reg 2.0gx. 2 door automatic

any tips on any common faults i should look out for or check out?

also what are they like in general, are they as reliable as the other toyotas, are they nippy, they drive nice etc..?

any help and advice would be appreciated.

thanx Dickie :thumbsup:

anyone!
Hi Dickie i had an N reg 4.1 rav 4 series one from new although not automatic, they are very reliable + nippy, I would have a look at fuel consumption on an auto if i was you, our main man on series 1 ravs is bothwell buyer who generally comes on later + will be able to advise you better on mechanical issues although i am sure there are no major problems hope this short answer helps.. :thumbsup:

anyone!
Hi Dickie i had an N reg 4.1 rav 4 series one from new although not automatic, they are very reliable + nippy, I would have a look at fuel consumption on an auto if i was you, our main man on series 1 ravs is bothwell buyer who generally comes on later + will be able to advise you better on mechanical issues although i am sure there are no major problems hope this short answer helps.. :thumbsup:

thanx mate :thumbsup:

anyone!

thanx mate :thumbsup:

As I have said before, you never see a Rav on the side of the road with the bonnet up; but there is a vast difference in fuel economy between petrol and diesel; and the automatic option will not help either. However, nothing compensates for sitting behind the wheel of a car with four wheel drive !!

Yawn..... sorry. Doc changed my medication and its interrupted my late night concentration. Said I should cut back on the whisky as well which has had a detrimental effect on my ability to maintain late night wakening.

The RAV4.1 came out in early 1994 in the UK. The first ones did not have ABS (I think it may have been available as an option before it became standard).

So, things to look for-

- check petrol tank for damage - its gets used to jack the car up sometimes

- the petrol breather pipe runs up beside the petrol filler pipe behind a plastic shroud in the nearside rear wheelwell - its not sealed and gathers road muck = corrosion. First indication is a smell of petrol.

- Amount of use its had can normally be seen on drivers seat - the foam back rest on the door side seems to collapse.

- Feel for dampness on passenger front footwell - = leaking windscreen / blocked drain and means there will be corrosion on floor and supporting leg below. Same on drivers side.

- Test drive - and let your foot off accelerator quickly to test rear suspension bushes and diff mount. If soft at all, will result in a clunk.

- Same as above but accelarate hard briefly.

- See if alarm/immobiliser works and remote door locking.

- Check engine for oil leaks - front crankshaft seal

- ?date or mileage of last cambelt change?

- Try front brakes on test drive to see if they drag after application. If the calipers drag then it can be an expensive fix (ie replacement) Corrosion.

- Wheel tracking - I don't think the cars are checked often enough - and of course depends on how its been used.

- mpg - well I don't know about the automatic but guess it will be better than the 22mpg I get from mine!!!!

- Suspension bushes need done every 80,000 miles approx.

Other than this list, and the normal things you would check on any car, don't expect the Battery to be in great nick if the cars been lying.

The 3SFE engine is a common engine and getting parts is no great bother, not that you should need many. The manual gearbox is good for 350bhp and as the 3SFE puts out 127bhp, then the transmission was over-engineered. This might not hold for the automatic, but I haven't heard any stories about them.

Generally the paintwork should be good with only stone-chips. If the car has the added rear and side steps from Toyota, then they will probably be well corroded. Same with any front bull bar. Again, depending on mileage, there will be some corrosion below on brake pipes and suspension parts but shouldn't need replacing. Front brake hoses may need changed.

Can' think of much else...

good luck