Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

55 Plate 2.2 D-4d Groaning Noise When Lifting Off Accelerator

Mike McG

Hi all,

My 55 plate Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 D-4D is approaching 3 years/30k miles.

Over the past few weeks it has developed a groaning noise when lifting off the accelerator either when changing gear or to brake.

Initially this was just in lower gears 1-2, 2-3, but has developed recently to higher gears as well, 3-4, 4-5.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of this issue before I speak to my dealership.

End of warranty is end of this week, so want to get fault registered with them asap if needed.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi all,

My 55 plate Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 D-4D is approaching 3 years/30k miles.

Over the past few weeks it has developed a groaning noise when lifting off the accelerator either when changing gear or to brake.

Initially this was just in lower gears 1-2, 2-3, but has developed recently to higher gears as well, 3-4, 4-5.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of this issue before I speak to my dealership.

End of warranty is end of this week, so want to get fault registered with them asap if needed.

Cheers,

Mike.

hello

or sure the dealer will spiculate to refuse with the warranty case due to dealine.

what are your observations of this noise origination? is it from gear box or from the engine?

how the engine is started?

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the response. I've booked the car in with the dealership now so hopefully as I've reported it before end of warranty I should be OK.

The noise seems to be coming from the engine, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your second query regarding how the engine is started?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the response. I've booked the car in with the dealership now so hopefully as I've reported it before end of warranty I should be OK.

The noise seems to be coming from the engine, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your second query regarding how the engine is started?

Cheers,

Mike.

OK Mike

Loook - open the bonet + start the engine + be close to the engine + look its running ---> is it vibrated or works smoothly??? try to rev it up manually by the fuel pump level and observe what is going on ---- whether it remains smooth or vibrates??

start from these steps & come back.

Igor

mine groans too especially if i hold my foot on gas pedal and rev it to 1500 ,, thinking clutch flywheel problem

Thanks guys,

Just been out to the car to check. Stationery and idling all is fine, when revved and released the noise occurs.

Seems to be coming from the rear, so exhaust would be best guess. Either a blow or more likely a rattle.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thanks guys,

Just been out to the car to check. Stationery and idling all is fine, when revved and released the noise occurs.

Seems to be coming from the rear, so exhaust would be best guess. Either a blow or more likely a rattle.

Cheers,

Mike.

Howdy Mike and Hello Old Friend Igor,

I have exactly same car as you, Mike, same year, engine and mileage, booked in for 30k service next Tuesday and warranty up 31.1.09. Spookily, it has very recently started making this noise as I lift my foot off the gas in low gear / low revs / low speed.

Igor, it sounds like either "induction roar" or maybe as one suggestion it is based around the exhaust (collapsed baffles in front silencer box?).

Regardless, I will certainly be reporting it at service next week. Surely it is not to do with flywheel, albeit I have recently developed a creaky clutch.....?

Mr T. has also agreed to replace both headlights next week due to condensation problem. Top marks to Michael at Arnie Clark, Bishopbriggs as usual.

Regards to all,

Big Kev. :eek:

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

Mike.

hey mike have the same thing with my t3-s and iv found that thge noise is coming from the air box, it only start after i had cut off a cable tie that was holding one ov the latches while removing a phone kit that was in the car iv replaced the tie and it helped abit but i must get a better quality tie to do the job.

now the tie was holding the latch nearest the cabin and was secured to the box mount on the fender(with in 4" to the right of the latch) try it and let me know how you get on.

mike v

Thanks Kev and Mike,

Kev, spooky that you have the same issue with the same age/spec car.

Mike I definitely get the impression from my later checks that the noise is coming from the exhaust.

Car is booked in for Friday, check the noise and MOT.

I'll post back with their findings.

Cheers again,

Mike.

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

Mike.

hi Mike

I deem you're about to cure this problem. Check with exhaust silencer or gaskets etc.

May be the problem is there. Yr 30k is not a milage to have a problem with power unit.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Mike

Wat does it sound like and how long does it last for when you first hear the sound.

Hi there, it is literally a split second. Now I think I've pinpointed it as an exhaust issue I don't think I'll be looking into it any more, especially as it is booked in for it to be checked and MOT'd on Friday anyway.

I'll definitely post back with dealerships comments when I have them.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

Mike.

Howdy Mike and Hello Old Friend Igor,

I have exactly same car as you, Mike, same year, engine and mileage, booked in for 30k service next Tuesday and warranty up 31.1.09. Spookily, it has very recently started making this noise as I lift my foot off the gas in low gear / low revs / low speed.

Igor, it sounds like either "induction roar" or maybe as one suggestion it is based around the exhaust (collapsed baffles in front silencer box?).

Regardless, I will certainly be reporting it at service next week. Surely it is not to do with flywheel, albeit I have recently developed a creaky clutch.....?

Mr T. has also agreed to replace both headlights next week due to condensation problem. Top marks to Michael at Arnie Clark, Bishopbriggs as usual.

Regards to all,

Big Kev. :eek:

Hi BIG KEV

Nice to hear from you !!!

It's interresting what the surgeon (MrT) would say.

Regards/Igor

My 2.2 T3X started doing this recently. Turned out to be induction roar from the pipe that feeds the airbox thru the wing to the wheelarch. Just rejigged it and the noise went. It was vibrating against the inner wing.

Hope this helps.

My 2.2 T3X started doing this recently. Turned out to be induction roar from the pipe that feeds the airbox thru the wing to the wheelarch. Just rejigged it and the noise went. It was vibrating against the inner wing.

Hope this helps.

Hello again Mike / Igor / Guanocascade,

30 k service and MOT done today ,along with shiny new headlights as reported, but also a nice wee surprise of 4 shiny new brake discs, which were "showing signs of excessive pitting", so were changed under warranty. I had reported them as noisy and "scraping".

INDUCTION ROAR totally gone for now by Mr. T. fitting a repair of "noise reduction tape on the inlet pipe and box" and at least admitted this is a known but not common fault. This is apparently a bespoke (Igor :made specially for) Avensis repair patch.

Regards to all,

Big Kev. :toast::eek:

• 1 year later...

Hi, Seems like I have the same problem, vibration (sounds vaguely like the exhaust blowing under the passenger foot-well)between 1200 and 1800 rpm both going up and down the rev range, but goes away above that range.

Anyway the question - If I go to see Mr T should I ask for a specific thing? referred to as 'This is apparently a bespoke Avensis repair patch'

Cheers

Tallguy

i have a '07 180 tourer with exactly this noise ! was gonna post question about it but found this question 1st ! will get all of the suggestions checked out,interesting to read its a known but not commom problem,seems to be getting more common now people putting comments on forum !

Hi Guy's Just joined the forum, Ok I also have this annoying groaning noise hard to describe in words.

My Car is approaching 26k miles and i have this annoying noise....

when im changing gear the noise is there when going slow also when the car is ticking over idling

when i rev it a little it makes the groaning noise....Noise noit there in high revs??

I had my g/f to sit in the car & rev it for me whilst i tried to locate the noise it seem to be coming from the air filter box???

Also i have to wait about 30mins before my car heating starts to work??

Plus i also have difficulty with selecting 1st gear approaching a junction it seems to want to go into reverse....

I bought the car at low milage 17k in May of 2010....

From Toyota World Newport....

Car is still under the 1 year warantee i had with it

Any one shine a light on all these problems

Thank you

Neil

Hi everyone.

My 2006 Avensis D4D T3X has had the same fault. The problem is with the air filter box. It is vibrating and needs to be modified by either placing some tape round one of the platic pipes which runs across the top (the pipe rattles in the clip) or alternatively the box is vibrating against its fittings. My dealer fixed it in 30 mins and it cost me £16.50. It was driving around the bend, but not any more.

As a side issue, my Avensis is going back in on tuesday for Toyota Warrenty to give the go-a-head for a new steering rack. Its 4 years old (nearly done 65k.

Neil1975 Also i have to wait about 30mins before my car heating starts to work??

i also had this problem with my old avensis,try taking the pollen filter out,its behind the glove box

have fixed the rattle on my t180 now,it was the air filter housing,thanks for the tips

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links