Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De-limiting My Mr2

JappyBeast

Few questions here..

How can you tell if your car has a limiter on it without driving over 110mph? I'm not sure if mine has been done as it has been in the country since 1999.

Just read that de-limiting a car helps it pull in the lower gears... this true?

Chipping ur MR2 also de-limits... how can you tell if it has been chipped?? Where do I look??.. I think my n/a is well fast, dont want to get it chipped finding out that it is already.. I have little to compare my MR2 to.. never propperly driven any others.. cant tell if its fast or slow!

If I get it delimited and keep my 110mph speedo, with the needle go all the way round lol???

What I'm about to say could be completely wrong but based on my limited knowledge of such matters, seems to me to be the most logical set of answers:

Can't see how de-limiting would affect power output in lower gears somehow, although I don't really know about limiters to be honest.

If your car has been chipped, if you have nothing to make comparisons by, you won't find out unless you can get your ECU hooked up to some engine management software really. A rolling road might show a higher than everage power output at the wheels but there's no saying that's neccesarily the result of a remap or a new chip. Maybe you can just take a look at the ECU and see what it has written on it! If it says "superchips" on it then that's a fair indication!

7.2 sec to 60 is enough for you to be able to really feel the acceleration although it doesn't really look all that fast on paper.

The usual way to delimit an MR2 is to fit a box that fools the ECU into thinking the car is going slower than it really is. I believe these connect somewhere between the ECU and Speedo - probably behind the dashboard. However, you have a Rev 1 - which has a mechanicle speedo. Not sure exactly how the limiter works on these, though I've heard that fitting the device that changes a KM speedo into one for miles also removes the restriction.

The limiter should make no difference to the performance going throught the gears - until 112MPH is reached..

Andy...

If your car is chipped you will find the chip/box most probably where your ECU is.

Pull back your boot carpet and you'll see the ECU. There shouldn't really be anything apart from wires leading away somewhere.

If there is a small box connected into these wires ( a few inches wide ), then it is most probably chipped. It will say something on it like Superchip etc.

For de-limiting... for the rev1's there's a little gearing thing ( I think ) connected somewhere along the speedo cable.

Best way to tell tho is to plant your foot... get to 115mph and you know it's been delimited. Although this is quite scary in a MR2.. 105mph is as far as I've gone.

It will change KPH to MPH ... you should be able to tell by where 30mph reads on the speedo. ( I think ) I'll take a pic of mine and you can compare it. I could be talking pants here... but all the rest of the info is correct.

if you've opened your boot and looking into it.. it's against the far away wall to the left... pull your carpet off and you'll see it.

Just had a look but couldnt find anything... just a sheet of wood that the carpet is stuck too.

Anyone know where the ECU is located on an n/a import?

Just had a look but couldnt find anything... just a sheet of wood that the carpet is stuck too.

More than likely in a different place to the turbo.........at a guess :unsure:

have a loko on the apexi website at one of their fitting manuals, gives the ecu locations usually (usless for uk cars as they more often than not get it wrong :ffs: but they are good with jap stuff!)

Mines limited, although i dont know if she would be that happy going over 112, or if its just getting near the limiter make the car sturuggle, certailny doesnt like sitting at 112 :angry: .

One way of de-limiting is using an apexi rsm, had one in my sx, never needed the de-limiter but had a flick through how it worked, it goes inline with the ecu wire for the speedo, and basically "alters" the signal, so if the ecu's saying 112 the rsm with take 20mph or so off (depending on what you set your limit you as its adjustable thought the rsm...)

hope that made sense :blink:

behind the wood fella. mines a tubby and it is there behind the carpet and wood. :thumbsup:

Can't see how de-limiting would affect power output in lower gears somehow, although I don't really know about limiters to be honest.

It depends really..it has been proven to reduce power in the rev range on Mazda MX-5s (cant remeber what year model) cos I was thinkin about gettin one years ago and seen it in articles in mx-5 club sites etc.

But like I said it depends..could just be a mx-5 thing.