Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Engine Noise Is On You Tube!

rambler

Not a bad job if you dont mind getting your hands dirty. Just a few pipes, clips, connectors and nuts to take off. Maybe a full detailed article on here somewhere. If not i can try and explain a little more.

I can come back to you with part numbers.

My Toyota dealer said to me that a handy person easy could fix this. My parts will be in tomorrow. I will come back with more information.

parts cost in Norway: approx: 1400NOK = 200usd= 160Euro.

I HAVE FOUND IT...

IT IS THE DIESEL FILTER, THAT MAKES THIS NOISE! It creates a air bubble, that goes to the dieselpump. and the pump makes the sound. you have to change the filter and filter holder. toyota in Norway knew this. and they sell a replacement filter and holder that make this problem dissapear.

Nice!

I can't say that Toyota Norway knew about this, since my Rav har been to service 3-4 times since we first heard the sound two years ago, and they have never been able to locate the source.

Anyway, I'll let them know that it need to be fixed :)

Looking forward to part numbers and other juicy details ;)

I HAVE FOUND IT...

IT IS THE DIESEL FILTER, THAT MAKES THIS NOISE! It creates a air bubble, that goes to the dieselpump. and the pump makes the sound. you have to change the filter and filter holder. toyota in Norway knew this. and they sell a replacement filter and holder that make this problem dissapear.

Can you possible post the part number(s) please?

I have sent a PM to parts king to see if he knows of this fault. ;)

Yes this is a known problem. Your dealer will be able to refer to Toyota service bulletin Engine-EG-6016

It affects RAV4 and Avensis Verso Models. It was corrected in production from April 2005 so newr models will not be suffering this problem

Kingo :thumbsup:

I HAVE FOUND IT...

Nice!

I can't say that Toyota Norway knew about this, since my Rav har been to service 3-4 times since we first heard the sound two years ago, and they have never been able to locate the source.

Anyway, I'll let them know that it need to be fixed :)

Looking forward to part numbers and other juicy details ;)

i sent a e-mail to Toyota at Gjøvik. i also sent a link to YouTube. After 15min, i got back an answer, that this was the diesel filter... They are very good with service there..

But... shouldn`t this be a guarantee case? A car isn`t suppose to make this sound is it? My car is a 2002mod, so its old... but it should not have this sound. this is a factory foult i think.. what do you think?

i sent a e-mail to Toyota at Gjøvik. i also sent a link to YouTube. After 15min, i got back an answer, that this was the diesel filter... They are very good with service there..

But... shouldn`t this be a guarantee case? A car isn`t suppose to make this sound is it? My car is a 2002mod, so its old... but it should not have this sound. this is a factory foult i think.. what do you think?

Well, we can always try to claim (reklamere), but I doubt that Toyota will cover this. Our cars are quite old now, and the fault is more "cosmetic" rather than performance reducing.

• 4 weeks later...

hi folks

ive been off line for almost 2 months,as computer stopped working.

ah ha,yippeeeeeeee!!!!,someone has found the cause of my engine noise..finally.

this has been an interesting one for us ,i am halfway through my final year of extended guarantee(it finishes in oct),so colchester toyota will have a print out of the solution.and the only bits of vehicle that arnt covered is bodywork and interior

and i guarantee that it will frustrate them having to fix it,as they will say'oh its him again'.

but if they know what to do they will hopefully say 'at last' lets get it sorted for good.

my thanks to all for watching this thread and giving input to try and stop 'the noise'

rambler

Best of luck Rambler.

As stated earlier, one of our works trucks does this, a mitsubishi and since finding this is diesel filter related I started pumping the primer on the filter and he presto the noise stopped.

If Toyota would like to say how much the repair costs or what is indeed involved in curing this fault that would be very helpful to many of us . :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm a new member who lives in France. I am so glad I found the 'Strange engine noise' video on Utube! My wife has a 2003 Rav4 D4D and this identical noise has been plagueing us for a couple of years! Our Toyota dealer has not got a clue what it might be despite numerous visits! So, now we know it is the fuel filter or rather the fuel filter housing (known as Cap Assy. Fuel Filter, I believe)

Presumably, someone is going to come back with full details of the replacement parts and their part numbers? I am just wondering if changing the fuel filter element alone might cure this problem? Could be that if the element is partialy blocked, and causing a partial vacuum within the Cap Assembly, this could cause air to be drawn in through dodgy seals etc. I guess it is these (probably minute) bubbles of air that cause the wierd noise as they traverse the fuel high pressure pump that feeds the common rail for the injection system.

Hi everyone! I'm a new member who lives in France. I am so glad I found the 'Strange engine noise' video on Utube! My wife has a 2003 Rav4 D4D and this identical noise has been plagueing us for a couple of years! Our Toyota dealer has not got a clue what it might be despite numerous visits! So, now we know it is the fuel filter or rather the fuel filter housing (known as Cap Assy. Fuel Filter, I believe)

Presumably, someone is going to come back with full details of the replacement parts and their part numbers? I am just wondering if changing the fuel filter element alone might cure this problem? Could be that if the element is partialy blocked, and causing a partial vacuum within the Cap Assembly, this could cause air to be drawn in through dodgy seals etc. I guess it is these (probably minute) bubbles of air that cause the wierd noise as they traverse the fuel high pressure pump that feeds the common rail for the injection system.

Further to my previous posting I can inform everyone that I have procrured a copy of Toyota service Bulletin EG-6016 which gives full details of the fault and Toyota part numbers. I will try to scan and upload............

EG6016_TOY.pdf

MODERATORS

Can you Pin this topic above including the pdf into the top section with all the reference material and how toos.... (Anch's if you looking in :D :D :D )

MODERATORS

Can you Pin this topic above including the pdf into the top section with all the reference material and how toos.... (Anch's if you looking in :D :D :D )

Just bear with me. I am away to the smoke this weekend but it just so happens that I changed the filter on Wollaston's RAV the other day so will put that altogether in one maintenance tip. I am also doing Davrav's storage mod and 4.2 rear discs and brake bleed. Do you mind if I use your photos for 4.2 check strap?

I will hopefully get them all done next week.

Cheers

Do you mind if I use your photos for 4.2 check strap?

I will hopefully get them all done next week.

Cheers

No problem.... Just send the royalty check in the post :D :D :D

Do you want it with the bike in the back or without... B) B)

hi folks

i have just printed off the 'pdf' document re fuel filter,and have emailed colchester toyota.

i had a phone call from service manager today,but i was at work and couldnt get back to him in time,he left message saying he had 'info' re 'my engine noise'.

so hope to get back to them / him,tomorow or sometime next week.

and i am now armed with that all important 'pdf' to show them.

as far as i am concerned,they have spent hours looking for this noise on my rav already and not cost me a penny(as extended g/tee still in place) so it will be done f o c.

the g/tee costs me £50 a month,a lot some may think, for rav under 7 years old with less than 100'000 on clock.but i get total peace of mind with full RAC cover nation wide and europe (i think),and other than bodywork & interior its a manufucturer equivelant g/tee.

in 2007 my radio/cd started smoking and packed up ,it was fixed under warranty.no cost

so if anybody wants to take out one these extended g/tees and vehicle fall within age and mileage,i highly recommend them

i know toyota labour costs are quite expensive as main dealers usually are,but a days labour could cost ££££££'s

anyway let you all know what happens sometime soon.

i would hate to think how much a toyota audio unit costs to replace

Davrav, I struggle to understand a lot of posts on here in English.. :unsure: so if your going to lapse in to French, Fuji occasionally posts in Chinese, + Bothy posts in Bothawanian, ive got no chance.. :fear:

I did sign up in 2007 when I was looking at DMF problems but I don't think I ever posted anything. Now here's a funny story..............I first contacted my local stealer about the bizarre engine noise because I was convinced it was the beginning of the end of the DMF although there was no vibration or the like! After several letters to Toyota France (at the recomendation of the Stealer) it was agreed that both the DMF and the complete clutch assembly would be replaced under guarantee (parts only...........labour at a reduced cost to me). When I picked up the car...............guess what? That's right, the bizarre noise is still there! Then there was some discussion with the service manager relating to exactly what had been replaced to which he invited me to get any 'expert' I like to examine the car. Don't quite know how you would know if the DMF had been changes without completely dismantling the gearbox etc.! Anyway, they then thought the bizarre noise was comming from the accesory serpentine belt which they replaced free of charge.............but alas, the bizarre noise was still present, so we have learnt to love it until now. It is however, very nice to know that it is nothing serious and (fingers crossed) will soon be fixed at little expence or..............who knows............FREEFIX?

Davrav, I struggle to understand a lot of posts on here in English.. :unsure: so if your going to lapse in to French, Fuji occasionally posts in Chinese, + Bothy posts in Bothawanian, ive got no chance.. :fear:

Ce qui ? :euro:

..............who knows............FREEFIX?

Arletty, I think F/Fix means "Field Fix". i.e. they normally list a change fitted as standard from a certain VIN out of the factory and also parts to fix vehicles made before then, i.e. already in the field or "field fix".

A late welcome from me too. :thumbsup:

A+

Further to my previous posting I can inform everyone that I have procrured a copy of Toyota service Bulletin EG-6016 which gives full details of the fault and Toyota part numbers. I will try to scan and upload............

hi arletty

i am a fairly new member myself, i would like to thank you ever so much for loading the 'pdf' so us others can print it out.

i intend on presenting the 'pdf' to my local dealership in very near future,and get it fixed under warranty,(will post the costs etc info on here soon) once work is carried out.

we all try and help each other out on these forums,and my apologies for ignoring you 1st time round

thanks again for info

rambler

Glad to be of any assistance I can and thanks for all your 'welcomes' Look forward to reading all the reports of who gets what done and at what cost. I wonder if some of these stealers actually bother to read the TSB's!

hi folks

right its news time......

had to call local dealership back today,spoke to service manager.

ever since i purchased my rav4,approx 3 1/2 years ago now,the intermittant 'howling' from under engine has always been there.

after the last of year of the 3 year manufacturers guarantee ended i decided to purchase a extended guarantee on the pretence that if the 'howling' went wrong in the engine in would be covered by my 'manufacturers equivalent' guarantee.

i have now in my 3rd year of extended g/tee,which from what i have gathered so far,covers everything apart from bodywork,interior.

so i assumed that almost anything mechanical which could go wrong would be put right,saveing me any worry at all until oct 09.

belts have been taken off,assesed,new water pump fitted a year ago,they have spent days trying to find 'the noise'.

now...they have told me after all this time,exactly what i have found out for myself by joining this club,and in good time as well,as my guarantee is still in place.......thank goodness

BUT................. aparently this ,'service bulletin' called 'fuel filter phenomenon'...is NOT covered by my guarantee,which has cost me well over ££££'s over last 3 years.

the one thing which has worried me since purchasing the vehicle...and it isnt covered.

i think its wrong personally,but the service manager is considering 'appealing' on my behalf,to see what they can do.

the work and parts involved come to £170 (plus vat i think).

some may say that £170 isnt much ,but considering that i have paid out for all this extra guarantee,i think its wrong

if it aint covered ,i dont think i will bother as rav still going strong,hopefully with many more trouble free happy miles on clock

and may well cancel my guarantee from the end of april.

anyway ,im off to sit in sun in back garden for evening,have a drink and....relax,maybe plan my next country walk

Rambler

It is very easy to fit. What about getting a price off Kingo and doing it yourself?

hi folks

more news...........

had the call today,.....its being done on guarantee,yippeeeeeeeeeee,yaaaahhooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

as you can guess..i am well happy,chuffed,pleased,and dare i say it....relieved

they just have to get parts in and book it in to be done...,yeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thanks again to all of you who have been following my thread,for your inputs ideas and all it took was one member who saw the you tube video!!.

i kind of hoped someone in our big wide world would see it and solve it

anchorman ,thanks ever so much for your ideas,.ive been in plumbing trade for last 20 or so years,plumbing and heating is a cinch to me,no probs whatsoever.

but modern vehicles,i definate no no

anyway now to get my brand new garmin satnav set up,oh bother,here i go again....gulp

hi folks

more news...........

had the call today,.....its being done on guarantee,yippeeeeeeeeeee,yaaaahhooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

as you can guess..i am well happy,chuffed,pleased,and dare i say it....relieved

they just have to get parts in and book it in to be done...,yeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thanks again to all of you who have been following my thread,for your inputs ideas and all it took was one member who saw the you tube video!!.

i kind of hoped someone in our big wide world would see it and solve it

Excellent news Rambler, I'm going to try next week also.

I rang Mr T last week and they said I needed to speak to after sales, who wasn't there !!!

I got the impression that they already knew of the fault when I first took it in but tried to fob me off saying the TSB didn't apply to my vehicle.