Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Engine Noise Is On You Tube!

rambler

hi folks

more news...........

had the call today,.....its being done on guarantee,yippeeeeeeeeeee,yaaaahhooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

as you can guess..i am well happy,chuffed,pleased,and dare i say it....relieved

they just have to get parts in and book it in to be done...,yeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thanks again to all of you who have been following my thread,for your inputs ideas and all it took was one member who saw the you tube video!!.

i kind of hoped someone in our big wide world would see it and solve it

Excellent news Rambler, I'm going to try next week also.

I rang Mr T last week and they said I needed to speak to after sales, who wasn't there !!!

I got the impression that they already knew of the fault when I first took it in but tried to fob me off saying the TSB didn't apply to my vehicle.

well niq.xl

i have feeling that a lot of owners who have this problem in our country,and have extended g/tees will want this fixed.

i felt that the phone call i had from the after sales manager was informative,but he had to consult 'main' computer system to see if was covered.he made it sound very doubtfull,almost....oh no no no,they wont cover that.

but the next call i had came from one of the ladies on the service front desk,...a far more informative'hello,yes its been authorised on g/tee'

i was jubilant!!

but why didnt the service manager call me back himself,a bit strange i thought.

anyway good luck niq,hope you get same result as me,mind you...mines not done yet,hope to get it booked in for friday (my day off work in leu of saturday)

hi folks

more news...........

had the call today,.....its being done on guarantee,yippeeeeeeeeeee,yaaaahhooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

they just have to get parts in and book it in to be done...,yeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thanks again to all of you who have been following my thread,for your inputs ideas and all it took was one member who saw the you tube video!!.

I rang Mr T last week and they said I needed to speak to after sales, who wasn't there !!!

I got the impression that they already knew of the fault when I first took it in but tried to fob me off saying the TSB didn't apply to my vehicle.

well niq.xl

i have feeling that a lot of owners who have this problem in our country,and have extended g/tees will want this fixed.

i felt that the phone call i had from the after sales manager was informative,but he had to consult 'main' computer system to see if was covered.he made it sound very doubtfull,almost....oh no no no,they wont cover that.

but the next call i had came from one of the ladies on the service front desk,...a far more informative'hello,yes its been authorised on g/tee'

i was jubilant!!

anyway good luck niq,hope you get same result as me,mind you...mines not done yet,hope to get it booked in for friday (my day off work in leu of saturday)

How did you get on ?

My car is now 1 year out of g/tee, but I did point out this problem to the dealer back then but due to their lack of knowledge I have had it. Just have to put up with it.

:crybaby:

My car is now 1 year out of g/tee, but I did point out this problem to the dealer back then but due to their lack of knowledge I have had it. Just have to put up with it.

:crybaby:

Have you any record of pointing this out at the time i.e. any invoices for labour charges for investigation? If so you may have some leverage.

hi folks

more news...........

well niq.xl

i was jubilant!!

How did you get on ?

well niq.xl

its been approx 11/2 weeks since i had the call from the 'lady' on service reception...but nothing since,so will be chasing sometime this week,does anybody here know if toyota dealerships have any access to these forums?

im wondering if i have put any derogatery (scuse spelling) remarks on here about them,and they be refusing to get back to me.

i also still have the noise from the 'brake servo check valve' which they still havnt sorted,that video is also on you tube but no one has recognised it yet.

its a kind of 'squeel' that come from the front offside wheel when engine is turned off....wierd

never mind...one noise at a time! he he he :blink:

hi folks

had the call today from lovely lady on service reception

my rav is now booked in for thursday 30th april 11am appointment at colchester toyota,approx 1 hours work whilst i wait.

hope everything goes swimmingly. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone

well then here we go!!!!!

just took rav to colchester toyota...things didn't go well!!.

they got new fuel pump & filter in for my 2001 rav....but apparently the parts listed on the 'pdf' we have on this thread that solve the 'fuel filter phenomenon'.only applies to norway built rav's

my rav was built in japan,and the fuel pump multiplug is not same the same as the one on the 'pdf' here.

if the dealers 'bodged' it to cure the 'howling noise',i would have a warning light permanently illuminated on my instrument panel,which i dont want.

i can only go by what the 'service personnel' at the dealership say.

does anybody know if norway rav's have a different fuel pump multiplug specification to those made in japan?

i would have thought all rav's would be the same worldwide?

they reckon its because norweigan ravs are subject to 'a far colder climate' during winter,therefore specification is different

any thoughts anyone.....please??????? :( :(

There are 2 plugs on the filter. One is for the "drain water" switch and the other is the heater element in the head. I wasn't aware there were differences but there may be as cold climate means something else over there!

You could ask Kingo to look into it???

There are 2 plugs on the filter. One is for the "drain water" switch and the other is the heater element in the head. I wasn't aware there were differences but there may be as cold climate means something else over there!

hi anchorman

well if 'kingo' has more info,...how do i ask him / her please? ,as not that good with this forum stuff

thanks

hi anchorman

well if 'kingo' has more info,...how do i ask him / her please? ,as not that good with this forum stuff

thanks

Goes by the name of Parts-king on here. Look back through this thread - he contributed on 6th March. Or look up his profile and you can send him a personal message. He is a Toyota main dealer parts manager who kindly gives a discount to members and has access to lots of useful info. :thumbsup:

hi anchorman

thanks

Goes by the name of Parts-king on here. Look back through this thread - he contributed on 6th March. Or look up his profile and you can send him a personal message. He is a Toyota main dealer parts manager who kindly gives a discount to members and has access to lots of useful info. :thumbsup:

cheers davrav

will try and track him down :thumbsup:

cheers dave.

have sent him a message,thought this was all solved when i took rav in on thurs,after all my research and you tube videos,never mind at least we now know what is causing this howling noise on these rav's.

:rolleyes:

Yes we do know the problem and it is not the fuel pump! The problem is the design of the fuel filter 'cap', which is the assembly that supports the fuel filter element and incorporates the fuel heater that cuts in during cold conditions. The fuel filter 'cap' assembly has been modified together with the filter element itself and it is these new parts (clearly specified in the pdf) that have to be fitted to solve the howling problem. The pdf by the way is for all cars imported into EUROPE and is not particular to Norway as Norway receives RAV's that are identical to anywhere else in Europe. I am not aware of any RAV's that are manufactured anywhere else than in Japan.

Basically, I believe that certain stealers in UK are talking complete and utter crap when all they really have to do is get on with the job............order the parts that are clearly stated in the pdf.........................and fit them! Job done! Why do they have to make things so complicated?

Yes we do know the problem and it is not the fuel pump! The problem is the design of the fuel filter 'cap', which is the assembly that supports the fuel filter element and incorporates the fuel heater that cuts in during cold conditions. The fuel filter 'cap' assembly has been modified together with the filter element itself and it is these new parts (clearly specified in the pdf) that have to be fitted to solve the howling problem. The pdf by the way is for all cars imported into EUROPE and is not particular to Norway as Norway receives RAV's that are identical to anywhere else in Europe. I am not aware of any RAV's that are manufactured anywhere else than in Japan.

Basically, I believe that certain stealers in UK are talking complete and utter crap when all they really have to do is get on with the job............order the parts that are clearly stated in the pdf.........................and fit them! Job done! Why do they have to make things so complicated?

yep arletty

i know exactly what you mean,i felt as though the service dept man kind of thought 'got him again' as he broke the news to me re the multiplugs.

i feel i ought to ask to see the modified filter 'cap' at the dealership..if they still have it there....but they never seem overly helpfull

or....get another dealership in next town (10km away) to do it irispective of my usual dealership,perhaps i may get a different outcome.

all i want is 'the job done' like you say,has anybody else here had this work done successfully yet,im keen to know??

Can I make a suggestion?

Ask Kingo for the latest part number filter head and fit it yourself - it is quite easy.

You will spill a little diesel so place some rags or an old sheet of ply under the car. With the air filter in place you can't see the wood for the trees so whip that off! Undo the hose clips at each end of the inlet pipe;

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

....and the finger clips on the breather pipe;

IMG_0266.jpg

.....then lift the pipe out of the way;

IMG_0268.jpg

Unclip the air filter cover and unplug the wires from the air flow meter, remove the filter and now you can get at the bolts in the bottom of the filter casing. Remove the 10mm bolts;

IMG_0272-1.jpg

......and now you can see what you are doing with the filter quite nicely. You shouldn't be able to mix up the fuel pipes but if in any doubt just mark one or put a bit of tape on it. Use a pair of pliers to squeeze the clips and slide it down the pipe a little;

IMG_0273-1.jpg

Wriggle the pipes to loosten then pull them down off the filter head. Now by squeezing the anchor clips, unplug those "suspect" wiring plugs from the heater;

IMG_0275-1.jpg

.....and the water ingress switch;

IMG_0274-1.jpg

Now you will have to prize the plugs off the inner wing. One broke on this car shown but there isn't much you can do to avoid it and you might have to use a tie wrap afterwards. You could try softening the plastic by carefully pouring very hot water on it but don't lose any sleep over it! With everything disconnected you can unbolt the housing off the bracket, however, if you don't have a vice just loosten the filter with a filter wrench now while it is still attached;

IMG_0276-1.jpg

Continued in the next message!..........

........continued!

Lift the assembly off and take it to the bench;

IMG_0277-1.jpg

CAREFULLY grip it in the vice and use water pump pliers to pop that water switch off;

IMG_0278-1.jpg

It is false economy not to fit a new filter at the same time so using all new seals lightly oiled with clean engine oil or diesel, screw the new filter to the new head and the water switch to the bottom of the filter. It might be an idea to do this with the filter in the upright position to make sure the seals do not get displaced. Assemble the parts loosely first making sure the seals don't twist then carefully grip the head in the vice and nip them all up. They only need to be hand tight - don't get carried away! On my photos it is just a filter change so the old head is refitted. Take the assembly back to the car and refit it. Connect both plugs, slide the pipes back on and reposition the clips. Now with everything back on you will need to prime the air out of the system. Simply pump that black plunger on the head until it becomes quite stiff;

IMG_0279-1.jpg

Now that is done you can refit the air filter and hose and don't forget that plug on the airflow meter. When you start the engine for the first time it might cough a little bit as the last remnants of air are purged but don't worry about that.

You can now see if you have cured the noise???

Anchorman............excellent report! Thanks!

One small suggestion................Do not reconnect the filter outlet flexible fuel pipe straight away. Purge with the hand pump plunger jobbie until air-less diesel comes out and then reconnect the pipe. This will purge practically all air from the system which should make for an easy engine start.

Anchorman............excellent report! Thanks!

One small suggestion................Do not reconnect the filter outlet flexible fuel pipe straight away. Purge with the hand pump plunger jobbie until air-less diesel comes out and then reconnect the pipe. This will purge practically all air from the system which should make for an easy engine start.

Anchorman..........top man.....wow,and thanks

i am in awe of what you have done here,crumbs...all those pics,all that info..blimey.you certainly know your stuff,that must have taken some work to produce all that lot

as i mentioned in another contribution,heating systems,plumbing ,bathrooms...if it uses water in a house...no problem,but i just dare'nt touch my rav,too much complicated technology & need it for everyday reliable transport.i live right out in the sticks,no train,no buses, its either drive or walk to get out and about.

so taking my car apart and hoping nothing goes wrong in the process,which it would knowing my luck....really isnt an option

i do have lots of hand tools, mainly for my trade though

but i did do the rear door mod about a year ago with the 'extended door check strap' allowing door to open to 90 degrees,that was very simple, no pipes or wiring involved there.also jam packed the rear door cavity with 4" thick foam sheets to stop the tacking sound that we 4.2 owners get on our rear doors....and it worked

but as for actual mechanics, in engine bay...its not me im afraid,kingo is researching my chassiss number for info....hope he comes up trumps

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

just today had the 'fuel filter cap' replaced by the modified one,now eagerly listening to see if 'howling noise' has totally gone.

it still strikes me very strange that colchester toyota,who had the information last time said that moddified one would not fit as one of the plugs was different.

this time i emailed them the part number from the 'pdf' of the service bulletin of 'fuel filter phenomenon' and today they fitted the moddified 'cap'...no trouble.

i can only guess they had the wrong part last time,..strange for a toyota dealer.

anyhow..tis done now,nice shiny new fuel filter cap just behind the air filter housing,took them about 2 hours today.

and didnt cost me a penny.

no......more.........embarrassing howling noises,i hope

rambler

Hi folks, do we know how much the replacement parts cost at all?

Regards Dave

hi dave

from what i remember i think it was approx £160 ish + vat,plus labour

but mine was covered by my extended guarantee,after i pushed for it to be done,cost me nothing,parts and labour free

im sure if you search for it,i put a post on this subject re price a few pages back.

rambler

Is it definately sorted Rambler ?

Is it definately sorted Rambler ?

hi nig.xl

well since friday,i have driven approx 100 miles and havnt heard even a murmer from engine bay,so i assume yes.

the howling was far worse in winter though,so that will be the real test,and my guarantee will have fully expired by then

all i can hear is the lovely sound that the d4d makes.

so 'yes' at the moment so far......its sorted

rav does seem to be slightly more 'juicy' on the fuel than before though,visited a friends approx 40 miles away this weekend for a days country walking,and this time the journey appeared to use more fuel than usual.

will have to just make sure there are no 'weaps' or leaks on pipework,cant smell diesel though,mind you the toyota technicians would not have released it from workshop with any leaks.

have also now,updated the video on 'you tube' with info re replacement part numbers for the 'fuel filter phenomenon' howling noise

rambler

• 7 months later...

Hi Rambler.

I was just wondering, how did your car fare over it's first winter (and a severe one at that) with the new fuel filter cap?

Has the strange noise gone altogether?

I'm just waiting for Kingo to get back to me, and then hubby and his brother are going to have a go at replacing ours...although, they don't know that yet ;)

Linda

Related topic http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=106014

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links