Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jj And Mike Need Help!

JustJJ

January 2009 JJ and Mike make a New Year's resolution - to give up smoking and get a 'little' fitter.

A week later JJ signs up for the Bupa Manchester 10k Run (silly girl).

Two days later, so does Mike (silly boy).

Only a few problems with this:

We are both overweight.

We only just gave up smoking.

We are both very (and I mean VERY!) unfit.

But we have paid the entry fee, got the gear and have started training (ok...so we have been out once to date, but we only got the gear this week!)

Only downside, we have to raise sponsorship - and not for the MR2 fund either!

So, as a result... we have both set up a JustGiving page each so that we can raise funds. We are both hoping to raise £500 for the two respective charities (CLIC Sargent (JJ) and Alzheimer's Society (Wibble)). Click on the links for more info on each one.

We would appreciate it if you could support either one or both of us (I know there is a recession on at the moment, but its for a pair of great causes).

Please follow the links below for each of us and wish us luck! (We are gonna need it! lol). For those of you who want to come and support us (or point and laugh)... we will be in Manchester on the 17th of May and the race starts at 10am. Race Info Here

Wibble's JustGiving Page

JJ's JustGiving Page

Blog link to be added shortly for those who want to keep track of our training (your investment ;) ).

When you have all stopped laughing... please start donating!

Cheers!

JJ and Mike

PS - Any chance that a Mod could sticky this? Ta

Stickied hun!

And would be glad to support both you & Mike with a donation (might have to wait til pay day though, sorry!)

Might even pop along to Manchester that day too to cheer you on! I know you guys can do it!

All the best and well done!!

Well, you both saw me peeing myself with laughter when you told me last time I saw you. :lol:

And then we ate pizza!!!!!!!!

But on a serious note, good luck with training and the non smoking stuff I know how well you are both doing with having giving up smoking those cancer sticks.

I will sponsor you both.....as per usual need to get pennies sorted.

One step at a time and all that....good on you both!!!!.

As I've said on FB I'll do my best to get there to cheer you on & I'm trying to use you having a go as some inspiriation for me to get into running properly as I always said I would. Good luck with the training, hope it goes well for you both.

1 thing I have learned from the minimal training I've done is to forget about where the end is because it can make you feel you can't reach it & think you might as well give up. As you're running, when you get knackered just focus on something a short distance ahead (the next lampost, that green Micra etc) & keep putting 1 foot in front of the other & eventually you'll get there.

• 1 month later...

Good luck to the pair of you - especially with the smoking !!!!

Then again, giving up smoking is easy - I've done it hundreds of times :P

Consider yourselves doshed up !

Thanks Rich :)

And thanks to everyone else who has donated so far...

We still have a way to go... both in the fitness sense and also the money/time sense... and we will be putting a link to the blog up soon too :)

What happens after the run? Do you go back to smoking and eating junk food, the run is only 7 weeks away? How is the training going? For any medium to long term success a health regime has to be a change in life style and not just for a one off event. 6.2 miles isn’t that far and you can always walk it. Good luck anyway :thumbsup:

Thanks hon...

After the race we continue... carry on with the healthier lifestyle and keep on top of fitness :) much easier to do once youve gotten into it :) and no... deffo not going back to the smoking lol

• 2 months later...

Right... well yesterday was the day of the run, and considering the set backs both Mike and I have had (healthwise and other) I think we did pretty well.

I found out I had asthma part way through trying to train... I've also been on a few other drugs for medical troubles and we didnt train as much as we should have/could have...

Putting it finely I dont think I could have walked 10k let alone run it... but armed with my inhaler, a good pair of trainers and moral support (Mike and Kirsty was also running).. I managed to run/jog about 5k of it and powerwalk the rest.. coming in with a time of 1hr 43.. which isnt bad with me considering how slow I normally dawdle along :P

Mike was better at 1hr 25mins and Kirsty at 1hr 20mins...

We got absolutely wet through as it started tipping it down about half/three-quarters way through, but we all finished!!

All three of us before it started:

photo-1.jpg

Kirsty:

n541130435_6997870_3980167.jpg

Mike:

n541130435_6997871_799562.jpg

Me:

n541130435_6997872_2309373.jpg

Sadly we didnt get any photos of afterwards... all too exhausted and wrapped up in our foil blankets with bottles of powerade.

I'm currently sat at work sore as hell, debating whether to do it again next time! (lol!)

If anyone else wants to donate, please do cause they are for great causes!

Yeah I might not have been that quick, but the pain and the soaking and everything else makes the donation worth it :)

Thanks!

JJ & Mike

Im very proud of you guys....well done all 3 of you!!!

You will have my donation asap.....................when I next pop up.x

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links