Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.3 Yaris On Motorway Journey

ShanQ

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am looking to buy a Yaris

I have found a 05/1.3 VVTi colour collection and just wanted some advice on how it behaves on the motorway.

Most of my journeys will be in town however I will probably do 160 mile commute on the motorway once a month. Can the Yaris handle the journey and what niggles am I gone have to put up with if I buy the car.

Thanks for your help :)

ShanQ.

Motorway journeys will be fine, I have 1.3 Blue on a 54 plate, I do around 380 motorway miles every week.

Thanks m47een :thumbsup:

I know nothing about cars andhave been getting conflicting advice.........knowing that your Yaris copes just fine on the Motorway has put my mind at ease.

Looks like I will be buying my Yaris (if it hasn't sold allready) soon.

ShanQ

Hi ShanQ and welcome to the yaris world!! ;)

I have a 1.3sr and the car is totally fine on the m/way, feeling solid and stable even above 95mph.

Fuel economy is good aswell at 70mph. So all in all, it's a fine small car.

Good luck. ;)

The only Yaris that has trouble on the motorway is the 1.0, and that's only because, like all 1L cars, the engine doesn't have quite enough oomf on the motorway.

My only critque of the Yaris is that vs my prev. car (A Fiesta) it's a bit higher and you can feel crosswinds more, but its handling is much more stable at high speed (The fiesta was !Removed! terrifying above 70mph!) so this a nitpicky qualm at best.

(Get the car, it rocks.)

The only Yaris that has trouble on the motorway is the 1.0, and that's only because, like all 1L cars, the engine doesn't have quite enough oomf on the motorway.

My only critque of the Yaris is that vs my prev. car (A Fiesta) it's a bit higher and you can feel crosswinds more, but its handling is much more stable at high speed (The fiesta was bloody terrifying above 70mph!) so this a nitpicky qualm at best.

(Get the car, it rocks.)

What utter rubbish :rolleyes: ..................The 1.0 litre Yaris is more than capable at holding its own against much more "powerful" cars on motorways or any other roads, and also capable of prolonged high speed cruising at motorway speeds.

The VVT system on the Yaris is very capable of keeping up with 1.2 and 1.3 litre cars.........................there is loads of "oomf" to spare

The only Yaris that has trouble on the motorway is the 1.0

What utter rubbish :rolleyes: ..................The 1.0 litre Yaris is more than capable at holding its own against much more "powerful" cars on motorways or any other roads, and also capable of prolonged high speed cruising at motorway speeds.

The VVT system on the Yaris is very capable of keeping up with 1.2 and 1.3 litre cars.........................there is loads of "oomf" to spare

I agree, the VVTi system is excellent.

Our 1.0 litre Yaris is fine on the motorway and pulls more eagerly in 5th from 75 - 90+mph than from 55 -70mph.

I am actually due to collect my next yaris (not a replacement but an addition) this morning :D , its a 52 reg 1.0 litre I will be going on the motorway for a large part of the journey so will report back on the experience later.

i have a 2001 yaris 1.3 and i can say that it is brilliant on the motorway. I have made loads of motorway trips and each time it has performed better than expected. I went from sheffield to the lake district and it was brilliant. As long as the car has a decent service history i'm sure you'll be fine.

i have a 2001 yaris 1.3 and i can say that it is brilliant on the motorway. I have made loads of motorway trips and each time it has performed better than expected. I went from sheffield to the lake district and it was brilliant. As long as the car has a decent service history i'm sure you'll be fine.

I have driven the 1.0 VVTI before I bought what I currently have (1.4 D4D 2006) and for this weekend I have a 1.3 VVTI TR as a courtesy car and to be heenst with you, the petrol uints are bags more refined with the 1.3 coming out on top of course.

I am very suprised with the 1.3 havign the same power yer 60% less torque than my diesel. In the mororway its doing 70mph at less than 3500 rpm which is class average. Now sure what the new 1.33 does with its 6th gear......

I think IMHO diesel is not for me anymore :(

Just to echo what others said - I've had my 54 plate Yaris, which I bought new in March 05 and is a 1.3 to replace the 1.0 I had before.

The 1.3 is much better than the 1.0L for me, but I wouldn't diss the 1.0L completely. You just have to anticipate your lane changes a little bit more to give it a bit more of a run up so it can get the revs up and the power increase. The 1.3 isn't fail proof but I feel that the 1.3 gives a bit more and is better suited for large amounts of Motorway/busy dual carriageway driving.

The road noise is low in the Yaris too and the engine itself gets considerably louder when you get to 75mph or over (before anyone says anything this is when I'm driving to Belgium on the other side of the Channel and the speed limit is higher than here ;)).

One thing I've found is that the Yaris does like to be 'driven'..if you let it pull up in the rev counter before you change gear it likes it better, whereas when I used to change gear early it struggled big time. I'm not talking rally style or anything, but don't be afraid to get it up into the 4-5000 revs especially when building up speed on m'ways.

You do feel the wind a bit more on a blowy day on an open carriageway as it's slightly taller than other cars in the same category and you could say it's a niggle but you just get used to it really.

As a general comment, the pillars on either side of the boot can be a pain when reversing as they are quite thick so I find I have to use the wing mirrors quite a lot when reversing into shopping parking spaces.

I certainly would recommend them, plus the digi dash is fantastic. I prefer the Yaris dash to the one in my MR2!