Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Trouble

francois

Hi

I'm having troubles starting my 2000 avensis 2.0 sr....

turn the key dozens of times and nothing happens(lights come on, clicking noises but doesnt fire up) then suddenly it starts just fine. It does this for both master keys.

any ideas? I suspect 1) starter motor has an intermittent fault, or 2) immobiliser is playing up

Hi

turn the key dozens of times and nothing happens(lights come on, clicking noises but doesnt fire up) then suddenly it starts just fine. It does this for both master keys.

any ideas? I suspect 1) starter motor has an intermittent fault, or 2) immobiliser is playing up

What happens to the ignition lights when you try to start? If they stay on, the clicking noise is probably the solenoid engaging and the problem is the contacts in the back of the solenoid or the starter motor itself.

If the lights go out, check the Battery connections are sound and the earth lead connections.

My guess is a dicky starter.

Hi

hello

please be focused on the starter control solenoid.

is starter shaft gear is normally engaged into the flywheel gear edge? in other words whether the crankshaft is rotated?

in case you only hear clicks then may be those solenoid stem git rusted and is not slided? in case it is not slided well then the main starter contacts might not be closed resulting the starter does not rotate the flywheel.

i deem this is the problem. but the Battery must also be considered for prive voltage to solenoid.

cheers/Igor

Sounds like the same problem i had with my '99 Avensis, as did my brother with his. Same year, but 7A-FE as oposed to my 3S-FE, so not uncommen problem for that intire range. Had it fixed at a workshop, but not sure excactly what was broken. Mechanic talked about some kind of lock.

It only got worse, until i had to try up to 15-20 times to crank the engine.

update

my mech has had a quick look and said definitely nothing wrong with starter motor etc....

problem is worse now, takes hundreds of key turnings to start

threads on this forum seem to point convincingly to ignition switch, which seems to have exactly the same symptoms and is easy to change.... however my mech thinks immobiliser and is talking about getting a car electrics chap in....

any ideas on how to discriminate between a faulty ignition switch and a faulty immobiliser???????????????

update: it was te ignition switch!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links