Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'chuffing It'

boilerman

Hi

Help please, i have a 03 4d4 with only 40k, i have only had it 6 months so not sure if the problem is me or the car. I assumed these cars had good torque, but i keep stalling mine if i try to pull off in second, even while moving, it dosen't like it, and i seem to have to give it loads of throttle before it leaps into action. An example, i'll be driving up to a right turn that is slightly up hill, i approach drop down from third to second and turn up the hill, as i put on the gas it struggles in second, and many times i have to stop, drop it into first then carry on. There is NO problem with the Duel Mass or clutch. Do they have some sort of vaccum on the throttle, could i have an air leak issue ? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Hi

Help please, i have a 03 4d4 with only 40k, i have only had it 6 months so not sure if the problem is me or the car. I assumed these cars had good torque, but i keep stalling mine if i try to pull off in second, even while moving, it dosen't like it, and i seem to have to give it loads of throttle before it leaps into action. An example, i'll be driving up to a right turn that is slightly up hill, i approach drop down from third to second and turn up the hill, as i put on the gas it struggles in second, and many times i have to stop, drop it into first then carry on. There is NO problem with the Duel Mass or clutch. Do they have some sort of vaccum on the throttle, could i have an air leak issue ? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Yes, this is quite normal; the one gear you cannot miss out when going up the box is first. Avoid this stall situation, it can mean a pain in the ***** (literally)

There is a vacuum unit on the turbo and they do sometimes stick. One member recently tried freeing his off but ended up with an exchange turbo - try doing a search on "vacuum".

You will have to use your judgement on whether you thing you are using too high a gear or see if you can blag a ride in another vehicle.

Hi

Mike

Hi Boilerman, I am not mechanical like Anchorman but I would say from the way you describe the problem that it is not normal, these cars will pull from very low revs in any gear + contrary to John I skip 1st gear altogether on anything but an uphill gradient I also do this in my black cab which is a similar weight but only 90bhp, unless i am carrying a load, I note that your Rav is a 4.2 (2litre) but still IMO you should not be experiencing this problem, on the 4.3 the 1st to 2nd change is so notchy that most of us start off in 1st accelerate to 2000 revs then let all the revs die down so we can change smoothly in to 2nd I cannot see any point in this, but this is just my opinion I am no expert.. :thumbsup:

I'm no 'expert' either - just a VERY proud new member of the club and my wee RAV. BUT from the begining, as an ex 'Landie' owner (from Series I right up to Defender) I've just put 'Ravi' into second 'automatically' on 'normal'/level roads to start off - and to date have had no problems such as you seem to have - with your LARGER engine! Weird isn't it? You really sure your clutch is ok 'cos my old VW camper had the same problem - until I had a new clutch fitted, and now 'Big Red Bertha' will pull of in THIRD (with all that weight, and just a 2L engine)! Hope you find the 'answer' anyway 'cos it seems a right pain when you've got all thjat latent wumph!

I'm no 'expert' either - just a VERY proud new member of the club and my wee RAV. BUT from the begining, as an ex 'Landie' owner (from Series I right up to Defender) I've just put 'Ravi' into second 'automatically' on 'normal'/level roads to start off - and to date have had no problems such as you seem to have - with your LARGER engine! Weird isn't it? You really sure your clutch is ok 'cos my old VW camper had the same problem - until I had a new clutch fitted, and now 'Big Red Bertha' will pull of in THIRD (with all that weight, and just a 2L engine)! Hope you find the 'answer' anyway 'cos it seems a right pain when you've got all thjat latent wumph!

Hi Guys and thanks, my engine is a 2 litre diesel, don't know why you think its larger.