Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow Bar

Beagh1958

To all,

Especially those on the West coast from Mayo down to Limerick & not forgetting the Yorkshire dales or anybody who works the land for a living. Have been using & fitting Tow-Bars for people for years now, particulary Bosal on older model vehicles.

Can anybody recommend any other make of Tow-Bar & could they tell me if i require convertor box for modern canbus wiring.

For 7 pin towing socket.

Will not be towing caravan, but your views are welcome. Main use, towing livestock & machinery.

For MK2 Avensis D4D 2003 model, Tow-Bar must not require cutting of rear bumper.

Please don't turn this thread into my car is better for towing than your car.

Regards, Beagh.

very intrested in this post myself as i am also looking at fitting a towbar to my 05 1.8vvti t4 tourer to pull a trailer tent but dont want to pay main dealer prices £500 thought they were having laugh

To scotchglen,

Answering my own posting know, something wrong. I usually fit certified Bosal or Witte tow-bars, top quality. We are supposed to be in the middle of a recession in this part of the world, so my local factor in his wisdom has decided to put his prices up, you could not make it up. You could try "Leisure Shack Car Parts" they are doing a Bosal CE approved range called the ECO at a very reasonable price about £150. Now all i need is someone around Co. Galway to point me in the right direction for me to find new supplier.

Regards, Beagh.

To scotchglen,

Answering my own posting know, something wrong. I usually fit certified Bosal or Witte tow-bars, top quality. We are supposed to be in the middle of a recession in this part of the world, so my local factor in his wisdom has decided to put his prices up, you could not make it up. You could try "Leisure Shack Car Parts" they are doing a Bosal CE approved range called the ECO at a very reasonable price about £150. Now all i need is someone around Co. Galway to point me in the right direction for me to find new supplier.

Regards, Beagh.

Towsure in Sheffield make and supply towbars, may be worth a look for you Beagh. As you probably know, they are all EC approved these days so their prices are not as good as they used to be before all the red tape came in. They are online at http://www.towsure.com/

To Q.S.

Thank you for suggestion, but don't reside in Uk. So i would imagine by the time conversion rates & courier rates are added could defeat the object of keeping price down. But i will try them all the same.

Regards, Beagh.

To Q.S.

Tried suggested company, just received answer. They cannot supply tow bar for D4D due to vehicle having much larger rear silencer than petrol models. Thank you for suggestion all the same.

Regards, Beagh.

To matty 2627,

Excellent site. They even have Irish Branch about 40 minutes from me, pass through general area quite often & never knew of them.

Regards, Beagh.

i used them in the past for two of my previous cars and it was about £130 for a fixed towbar. recently got a quote for a detachable one for the avensis and it was £345. just to give you an idea of costs.

To scotchglen, matty2627, Q.S. & all who answered.

Fitted witte tow-bar. But following suggestion form QS regarding company that supplies tow-bars. Was informed by Towsure that D4D has a larger rear silencer than petrol models, so they could not supply one. So depending on tow-bar manufacturer make sure you point out your car is Petrol/Diesel as they may not be able to supply for diesel.

Regards, Beagh.

To scotchglen, matty2627, Q.S. & all who answered.

Fitted witte tow-bar. But following suggestion form QS regarding company that supplies tow-bars. Was informed by Towsure that D4D has a larger rear silencer than petrol models, so they could not supply one. So depending on tow-bar manufacturer make sure you point out your car is Petrol/Diesel as they may not be able to supply for diesel.

Regards, Beagh.

You are right about this but unfortunately no one asked me whether I had a D4D before selling me a Towsure bracket for my tourer. I fitted it today; I had to 'trim' one of the brackets slightly to ensure that the exhaust tail pipe didn't knock against it. I know this sounds a bit dodgy, and I shouldn't be messing with a type approved piece of kit, but there is still plenty of meat left on the bracket; it is made out of 10mm thick steel.

Stephen

To all interested parties,

Try "Witter" main UK website for early MK 2 Avensis Tourer/Estate D4D vehicle. Complete tow-bar £175+VAT & wiring adaption kit for canbus wiring system £39+VAT.

Regards, Beagh.

• 3 weeks later...

after alot of searching found a company 5 min from my house to fit a anker flange towbar with no bumper cut,single electrics fitted for £176 i personnally think thats a bargain compared to some quotes i have received if anyone is interested the companys name is kens auto spares nottingham.