Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise From Rear Offside

abcleaner

When driving at about 25mph, i seem to be getting a a weird noise front the rear offside wheel. Its a bit difficult to explain, it isn't a constant sound but is intermittent ie. it comes on for a second and goes off for a second then comes back on for a second. It isn't a metallic sound so, I'm not sure what it could be. Also, if i speed up or slow down the sound goes away.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this and repair would be greatly appreciated.

Just to add the car is a '55' plate Avensis 1.8 vvti

When driving at about 25mph, i seem to be getting a a weird noise front the rear offside wheel. Its a bit difficult to explain, it isn't a constant sound but is intermittent ie. it comes on for a second and goes off for a second then comes back on for a second. It isn't a metallic sound so, I'm not sure what it could be. Also, if i speed up or slow down the sound goes away.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this and repair would be greatly appreciated.

Just to add the car is a '55' plate Avensis 1.8 vvti

Hi

Has your car done over 100,000 miles or so. I THINK it might be a wheel bearing. I THINK, THIS IS MY GUESS. Don't correct me if I'm wrong as its my guess.

Yeah, i was thinking wheel bearing aswell, but the thing is the car has just reached 30,000 so i'm not sure.

Thanks for your help anyway

Yeah, i was thinking wheel bearing aswell, but the thing is the car has just reached 30,000 so i'm not sure.

Thanks for your help anyway

Is this noise only noticable when rolling ? Or can you hear when stopped, reason i ask is mine did same a few weeks ago i thought it possible to be a bearing, how wrong i was i only found it by lightly putting foot down and listened at various revs, it turned out i had a exhaust problem and a new gasket was fitted, a know problem on the system i was told, mine is a tourer but it just a test you could try on your motor before you assume its a wheel bearing.

The noise is only heard when travelling at about 25mph, it doesnt make a difference if i have my foot on or off the gas. The only thing that confuses me is that the sound goes away at a lower speed and higher speed. I have checked the exhaust before and it all seems to be fine.

The noise is only heard when travelling at about 25mph, it doesnt make a difference if i have my foot on or off the gas. The only thing that confuses me is that the sound goes away at a lower speed and higher speed. I have checked the exhaust before and it all seems to be fine.

Before you start going down the wheel bearing route (which I doubt from the symptoms) have you checked it's not just a brake catching or similar? jack the wheel up and give it a spin, see if you can hear anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I also am hearing a noise from the rear of my 2004 Tourer. I can best describe the noise as a rumble. The noise is present at 10-20mph, especially on rough tarmac. However, the noise does not respond to actual bumps, for example, speed bumps.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the cause?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links