Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rain Sensor Problem

jack1979

hi there i have just boght 55 plate avensis t3x with auto wipers switch which seams to be not working, anybody knows how to check that, perhaps?

when i just want to spray windscreen wipers are not comming on?

please help

hi there i have just boght 55 plate avensis t3x with auto wipers switch which seams to be not working, anybody knows how to check that, perhaps?

please help

have you set it to auto, and pulled the stem to set w/washer going

please help

Hi,

I have noticed, with the 2 Avensis models (53 & 55 plates) I have had, that the wipers tend to not work so well if the sensor is slightly dirty.

The windscreen doesn't need to be filthy, just a slight film of dirt can affect it. A quick wipe cures it that's been the problem.

Good luck with it.

Yeah what icam said. I havent had a problem with mine since i have had the car.

• 1 year later...

I also had the same problem with rain sensor, well it was not working at all, grove around local scrap yards to try and find a second hand sensor but no luck. I removed the plastic enclosure and disconnected the sensor (pulled the plug). Few days after I've driven over the speed bump and wipers started working intermittently. With sensor disconnected, bit that you usually set the sensitivity on the stalk was now adjusting the frequency. There was a distinct sound of relay clicking coming from the glove box area (where fuses and relays are). Not thinking very long I've reconnected the sensor and it worked the charm, for few days at least. When it stopped working there were no more clicking sounds. This leads me to believe that the popular problem with the rain sensor is not with the sensor it self at all.

This brings me to the question, does anyone knows where the relay responsible for wipers is located? I hear that sometimes contacts on those can catch.

I would guess the relay is located somewhere within the steering column, as I can hear it clicking on and off in there when in rain sensor mode.