Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tattoo

Kev Mc

I know there have been a couple of threads about this subject but the last 1 was about tattoos on girls so I'm creating a new 1.

I've wanted some Everton tattoos ever since I was a kid, but hating needles as much as I do has always lead me to think of them as "Something to get if I ever have the balls". Well, I was speaking to a mate of mine a couple of weeks ago who has a small 1 on her inner wrist & she said she went to the tattoo place with a view to booking it for the next week & the tattooist said he could just do it there & then & she was absolutely petrified, had to have a drink with loads of sugar but got it done, loves it & now wants another.

That's given me a bit of confidence that I can get 1 so I'm thinking of getting a small, basic one in the hope that it leads me to get a bigger, more detailed 1 at a later date. She's going on Saturday morning I'm thinking of going with her & getting 1878 (the year Everton were formed) on the back of my neck, just above the bone but as low as I can get it. I want it there because my neck should stay roughly the same size for the rest of my life so shouldn't stretch the design as I get fat in years to come & it shouldn't get in the way of any other tattoos I do decide on more.

The main potential problem is the fact that it would be on show a lot of the time. My dad is worried that coupled with my inability to not speak to Liverpool fans without insulting them, it's going to lead to some angry kopite trying to punch my head in. That's not something that's worrying me because most people wont get the Everton reference but he's really not happy about the idea & so first of all I'd like some thoughts about that.

As I've said, I've always wanted Everton tattoos but this is the 1st time I've thought about it seriously & another question is whether I get it now while I feel I have the balls to & when a mate is getting 1 who I can go with or do I leave it for a month or 2, see if my view changes about what to get etc & risk missing out on something I want because I'm worried about the process involved in getting it?

Finally, if I do get 1 on the back of my neck, how would that affect my day-to-day life as it heals? I've read that it can take up to a month, depending on how quickly you heal & I'm possibly the worlds slowest healer so it'll probably take about 4 years to !Removed! heal. In the meantime is it likely to affect my movement? Will I have to be careful to only move my neck slowly in case I wreck the scab? Will I be able to shower/get dry as normal? Some of my hair reaches part of my neck that should be tattooed, will that be a problem? Anything else to think about that I haven't mentioned?

Sorry about the essay but it's a big thing & I've thought about little else recently so I just need some views

Ta all

I have one on the top of my back/bottom of my neck. Hurt a bit getting it as it felt like it was going straight to the bone. Was a bit uncomfortable the first few nights but fine after it scabbed over. Dont wear white shirts while it heals!

1st of all I would wait... it seems to me that you are still in two minds whether to get one at all and your not entirely sure exactly what you want. These two things are the most important part of the decision and if that isn't 100% then you might end up regretting it, so wait untill you are 100% sure.

2nd.. If you go for one think very carefully where you get it done, if it is going to be visable will it be offensive to anyone or put you at risk from others?.. what would a future prospective employer think when they saw it?.. I feel it is better to have it done somewhere you can easily hide it when the situation may require it to be out of site, but easy enough to show off when the opperchancity to show it arises.

As for the healing... like any other wound. Do not pick the scab, the more it bleeds the more colour can bleed out of it and the more chance you will have of a scar forming on your tattoo. When you are drying yourself just pat the tattoo with a towel, don't rub it at all, same thing goes when/if it itches.

Your hair won't be a problem getting a tattoo... they will shave it off, but as it grows back it could hide your tattoo, it just depends on how much hair you have.. you hair growing back in before the tattoo has healed won't be a problem... after all, some people have their heads tattoo'd.

I will stress again that I think you should wait as it seems to me you are still unsure what and where to to put the tattoo. Think about it some more and when you are 100% ready.. and only 100% ready go for it, I'm sure if your balls have dissappeared by this time a friend will come a long and hold your hand.

Well, as you all know, I got mine last July after much thought on the matter. I'm probably one of the few people who love my tattoo but don't want to get another.... mainly because nothing will ever compare to mine, it means so much to me and also I don't have anywhere else to put one (I like mine being totally hidden)

Can't really add anymore advice as Davy has really said it all - I was a bit hypochondriac about the healing process so kept applying loads of cream and luckily it didn't rub but you'd probably have to be a bit more careful around the neck - you basically will need to wear loose fitting clothing for a while afterwards.

But I have to agree with Davy wholeheartedly on the last bit of advice - do not do it if you're not sure. There's nothing wrong with sitting on the design for a while until you are 100% ready. It's your body and therefore must be something you're totally happy with. I think the premise behind it is lovely if its something close to your heart and I doubt it would offend other supporters, I mean it's not like you're getting "Everton Rules, Liverpool Drools" tattooed on your forehead is it? And no, that's not a suggestion! :lol:

Leave it for a bit I say.... but there's nothing to be concerned about - if a big girly wussy wuss like me can do it then so can you, but when the times right for you!, don't just go because a mate is doing it! Oh and I have a massive needle phobia too, but you won't see it as it'll be behind you - the pain is akin to a cat scratch. :thumbsup:

Agree with Em and Davy here Kev....

It totally depends on your pain threshold as to how much its gonna hurt... and also where... mine really didnt hurt that much...and I was worried about it before it happened :P

You need to be sure of what you want tho and I dont just mean the date or whatever... what style / font etc even if its just text cause its there permanently..

As for healing... if you look after it it doesnt take long to heal at all (bearing in mind they say you shouldnt do certain things for a while... sunbathing and swimming etc).. mine didnt really scab much at all and provided you are careful (no rubbing / scratching) you should be fine :)

As i know you're doing your AAT that pretty much means you'll be working in an office and wearing a shirt.

Just try to make sure that your tattoo is at collar level, that way during working hours it will be hidden so won't be an issue to any employer ;)

As for an Everton tattoo on the other hand....... :bag:

:P :lol: ;)

go for it!! getting mine soon enough ;) you only live once lad.

Thanks for the replies all, I really needed some well thoughtout responses from people outside my immediate circle of friends & family & there are plenty here so ta for that.

The design has never really been an issue, 1878 is personal to Evertonians but not "in the face" of others & I really don't think anyone would ever be offended by it. My main query was whether I was right, if I judged it wrong & it did make many people want to knock me out, maybe I'd regret it at some point. At the minute it's not something that worries me 1 little bit, my primary goal in life is to annoy as many kopites as I can anyway, but that might not always be the case & in 30 years it could still be causing me grief & so I might be fed up of it then.

I've decided to listen to the advice & leave it for a month or 2 & see if I still want it then. The only real doubt I've got was put in my head by my dad's reaction. My gut instinct (which I always listen to) says to just get it done, I feel I'll be happy with this for the rest of my days but something inside me says to listen to my dad for once in my life so that's what I'm going to do. He reckons I'll regret it within a month if I get it now, I don't but if I leave it for now, if nothing else he might accept that I really do want this, be happy I'm getting it & then there'll never be a deathbed feeling of guilt caused by ignoring the 1 thing he feels really strong about. It'd probably play on my mind even if I loved everything about the tattoo.

It is always possible to get caught in the heat of the moment & while I don't think I have done in this situation, this is going to be with me til my dying day so if I live for another 40 years, giving myself a month or 2 to change my mind wont make much difference.

I haven't got a hairy back/neck so I'm not worried about hair growing up through the scab but for the 1st time in my life I've got head hair that reaches there, would that be a problem or could I just keep throwing a plaster on it until it healed? I think it'll take mine a lot longer to heal than most people, cuts always take forever to heal properly on me, I've still got marks on my knuckles from boxing & I haven't been since before christmas but I can live with that if it looks good in the long run.

I can't see it ever being a problem to any future employer. It should be covered by a shirt collar most of the time, it's more likely to be seen when I'm dressed casually in a t-shirt etc & I'll just stick a plaster over it for any job interviews, it's not going to be a big gang tattoo so if somebody doesn't want to employ me because I've got a small Everton tattoo they can keep their job because I'd hate working for them anyway.

Thanks for the replies once again

as an employer i would never employ anyone with a visible tattoo let alone a football tattoo as stereotypically (not saying that you or anyone else who has a football tattoo) seen by the older generation as a sign of hooliganism.

I admire your honesty.

Hypothetical situation: You employ somebody who's highly qualified for a position, he comes in & seems to be fitting in well, handling the work you're giving him & appearing to be getting on with the other staff. 1 day you notice a mark just creeping into view on his neck & it turns out to be a small tattoo of the year his football club was formed. Do you bin him?

Not having a go or anything, just interested to hear what you'd do. What industry are you in Milly?

Employers arent allowed to discriminate like that Kev... once you are in and proving yourself its very difficult to fire someone (there are lots of processes that you have to go through before you can even think about firing someone)... which I'm sure you know.

Would someone's perception of the person change? Possibly... if they are a decent employer and youve been doing well for them and struck a good accord then I doubt it tho.

Its more of a 'first impressions' thing really.. at least in my opinion. Someone may not like facial hair, or earrings / jewellery... ok these are less permanent.. but can sometimes give you an indication, stereotypical or otherwise of a person (scruffy looks = scruffy person / work? earrings = chavvy? of course this obviously doesnt categorise people properly but its a similar train of thought I guess).

I think its a good decision you made to wait... get the design on paper, make sure you are happy with it... you can even buy temp tattoo paper to print on and pop it in your printer and pop a temporary tattoo on to see if you like it. I waited best part of a year I think before I got mine... and my design changed a little in that time... now Im happy and I know Im not gonna regret it.

As far as parents are concerned, well I didnt tell mine at all, but then I dont live at home and havent for a while so Im not there with them all the time, and my tattoo is easily hidden. I think its great that you are including your Dad in it tho, as it shows you care about his opinion and his advice and can them make a good judgement from that.

as an employer i would never employ anyone with a visible tattoo let alone a football tattoo as stereotypically (not saying that you or anyone else who has a football tattoo) seen by the older generation as a sign of hooliganism.

I would like a tattoo on the back of my wrist but knowing that potential employees MIGHT frown upon such things has always stopped me from going ahead with it. I don't think it's right to cast someone aside for a job just because they have a tattoo on show, (it would not stop that person from doing their job) but some people are ignorant, small minded and can't see past there own nose, (in Milly's case I am referring to the older generation).

Kev, it would seem you have thought of every angle regarding this tattoo, You are your own person, and live your own life, don't let other people live it for you by them telling you what you should and shouldn't do. Take their advice and act on it in the way YOU want.

If you can't see it hindering your job and future jobs then great stuff......I know and understand how passionate you are about your club and getting this tattoo done, I say go and get it done, you will love it and have no regrets about it.

A genuine question hun....what more is there for you to think about?

Speaking from the view of a parent of a relatively adult son, I went to wake him up one morning (He's not good @ it :lol: ) & he sleeps "au naturel :o ". He sat up & displayed a small Tattoo on his shoulder :huh:

He hadn't asked my opinion & I hadn't known about it. I just admired it & congratulated him. He is an adult & makes his own decisions.

Mind you, when he got his tongue pierced, I told him that he was mad, & he was inclined to agree with me for the 1st month :rolleyes:

Mind you, when he got his tongue pierced, I told him that he was mad, & he was inclined to agree with me for the 1st month :rolleyes:

I take it he's not told you about the Prince Albert then? :o

I take it he's not told you about the Prince Albert then? :o

THAT is a pleasure that lies in store for me :sick: :lol2:

got mine done today, flipping sore but i love it!! not in a clearly visible place either!! :D go for it kev!!

got mine done today, flipping sore but i love it!! not in a clearly visible place either!! :D go for it kev!!

Well done, Hun. Hope the pain goes away quickly :thumbsup::yes:

pain has gone away. looks really pretty. let us know how ya get on kev

Employers arent allowed to discriminate like that Kev... once you are in and proving yourself its very difficult to fire someone (there are lots of processes that you have to go through before you can even think about firing someone)... which I'm sure you know.

Would someone's perception of the person change? Possibly... if they are a decent employer and youve been doing well for them and struck a good accord then I doubt it tho.

Its more of a 'first impressions' thing really.. at least in my opinion. Someone may not like facial hair, or earrings / jewellery... ok these are less permanent.. but can sometimes give you an indication, stereotypical or otherwise of a person (scruffy looks = scruffy person / work? earrings = chavvy? of course this obviously doesnt categorise people properly but its a similar train of thought I guess).

I think its a good decision you made to wait... get the design on paper, make sure you are happy with it... you can even buy temp tattoo paper to print on and pop it in your printer and pop a temporary tattoo on to see if you like it. I waited best part of a year I think before I got mine... and my design changed a little in that time... now Im happy and I know Im not gonna regret it.

As far as parents are concerned, well I didnt tell mine at all, but then I dont live at home and havent for a while so Im not there with them all the time, and my tattoo is easily hidden. I think its great that you are including your Dad in it tho, as it shows you care about his opinion and his advice and can them make a good judgement from that.

True enough JJ, people aren't allowed to sack somebody for a little tattoo but for the 1st year if somebody wants rid of you it's fairly easy, whether they're truthful with the reason for doing so or not.

The design itself isn't causing me too much grief, I just want the year in the way it is on the club Badge. I'm mindful of them changing it because some lad has "Everton" in a way that was used on club merchandise years ago (see the pic below) & looks crap now & it had crossed my mind that the same thing would happen if they ever changed the way they used print the year, but I can't see that happening & even if it does I don't think I'd ever be bothered by it.

pau_halligan.jpg

I would like a tattoo on the back of my wrist but knowing that potential employees MIGHT frown upon such things has always stopped me from going ahead with it. I don't think it's right to cast someone aside for a job just because they have a tattoo on show, (it would not stop that person from doing their job) but some people are ignorant, small minded and can't see past there own nose, (in Milly's case I am referring to the older generation).

Kev, it would seem you have thought of every angle regarding this tattoo, You are your own person, and live your own life, don't let other people live it for you by them telling you what you should and shouldn't do. Take their advice and act on it in the way YOU want.

If you can't see it hindering your job and future jobs then great stuff......I know and understand how passionate you are about your club and getting this tattoo done, I say go and get it done, you will love it and have no regrets about it.

A genuine question hun....what more is there for you to think about?

You're right Ash. When I posted this I was quite stressed about whether to get it quick before I bottled it or give it time. I've made the decision to wait now & so I feel a lot more comfortable about things, I'm thinking about it now & then rather than constantly & I'm happy that in a month or 2, if I still want it I'll listen to my heart & get it done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links