Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.4 D4d Mmt

musthy

Hi

I am thinking of buying a 2007 07 yaris 1.4 d4d mmt for my wife, but i have read a few user reviews regarding the problems encountered by owners with the automatic gear box , which I am worried about.could anyone kindly advice me on this matter?

Hi

I am thinking of buying a 2007 07 yaris 1.4 d4d mmt for my wife, but i have read a few user reviews regarding the problems encountered by owners with the automatic gear box , which I am worried about.could anyone kindly advice me on this matter?

hi musthy,

I have owned a CV II MMT, and I was very pleased with it. Make sure your wife test drives this model extensively, because some people hate driving a robotized gearbox. It also takes developing/adapting the right driving style. If one does this, the MMT is lovely and will function well. Talk to your dealer about your concerns, and let him explain to your wife the best way to drive an MMT. Test it during several hours in heavy town traffic and on roads.

As to the problems you cite, we have had cases of theso-called "N" problem on the CV II in France, and you can read about them in this Forum (do a search under my pseudo). This, however, was a flaw on the first series of the CV II, that has been fixed in the mean time. Driving style OK >> MMT OK. If you have to drive ramps frequently, better leave it.

If your wife would be satisfied with the iQ, I'd recommend testing it with the new CVT gearbox. I've read favorable tests on it.

Good luck with the choice and the new car.

Regards,

Jan

Hi

hi musthy,

I have owned a CV II MMT, and I was very pleased with it. Make sure your wife test drives this model extensively, because some people hate driving a robotized gearbox. It also takes developing/adapting the right driving style. If one does this, the MMT is lovely and will function well. Talk to your dealer about your concerns, and let him explain to your wife the best way to drive an MMT. Test it during several hours in heavy town traffic and on roads.

As to the problems you cite, we have had cases of theso-called "N" problem on the CV II in France, and you can read about them in this Forum (do a search under my pseudo). This, however, was a flaw on the first series of the CV II, that has been fixed in the mean time. Driving style OK >> MMT OK. If you have to drive ramps frequently, better leave it.

If your wife would be satisfied with the iQ, I'd recommend testing it with the new CVT gearbox. I've read favorable tests on it.

Regards,

Jan

Hi

I have a new Yaris D-4D Yaris - I cannot praise it enough. I have covered 2300 miles in 6 weeks and have had no problems whatever. The only thing to remember is when you are waiting at the lights, have foodbrake and handbreak on, release foodbrake & ease off handbrake as you press the throttle.

Also if yo ease off slightly when changing up, you will get a very smooth change.

My fuel consumption is marginally better than the manual - excellent.

Good luck.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

hi musthy,

Regards,

Jan

Hi

I have a new Yaris D-4D Yaris - I cannot praise it enough. I have covered 2300 miles in 6 weeks and have had no problems whatever. The only thing to remember is when you are waiting at the lights, have foot brake and handbrake on, release foot brake & ease off handbrake as you press the throttle.

Also if yo ease off slightly when changing up, you will get a very smooth change.

Good luck.

Geoff

As this type of car still has a clutch surely it would be better to select neutral when stopped for more than a short time so as to reduce the wear on the clutch?

Or do I have it wrong and the engine actually goes into neutral when it stops? - I think not.

I find that the gearbox makes very smooth changes under normal circumstances though I do not drive with my right foot flat to floor as seems the norm these days.

• 1 month later...
Hi

hi musthy,

Regards,

Jan

Hi

I have a new Yaris D-4D Yaris - I cannot praise it enough. I have covered 2300 miles in 6 weeks and have had no problems whatever. The only thing to remember is when you are waiting at the lights, have foot brake and handbrake on, release foot brake & ease off handbrake as you press the throttle.

Good luck.

Geoff

As this type of car still has a clutch surely it would be better to select neutral when stopped for more than a short time so as to reduce the wear on the clutch?

Or do I have it wrong and the engine actually goes into neutral when it stops? - I think not.

I find that the gearbox makes very smooth changes under normal circumstances though I do not drive with my right foot flat to floor as seems the norm these days.

The only thing to remember is when you are waiting at the lights, have foodbrake and handbreak on, release foodbrake & ease off handbrake as you press the throttle.

Problem with that is when you have hot brakes and sit at lights with the footbrake on, there is a higher chance of warping the discs due to heat build up. Its best practice to use the hand brake only and let your discs cool, it’s a problem with automatic cars, drivers tend to get a little lazy with the brakes :thumbsup:

I am thinking of buying a 2007 07 yaris 1.4 d4d mmt for my wife, but i have read a few user reviews regarding the problems encountered by owners with the automatic gear box , which I am worried about.

Its not an automatic gearbox, and dont let the sales guys tell you otherwise. Its a semi auto. Uses a normal manual gearbox and clutch with a computer controlled clutch operation. Some people love them, most hate them :D Personally i dont mind them. You do have do adapt your driving style to it but once you've mastered it a think its a good system. Best thing to do is see if you can use one for 24hrs and see what you think.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links