Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light Flickering Under Braking

garethandmanda

Just been driving over the tops (about 20mile each way) and noticed this problem. At first it was on a fairly sharp bend, and then happened twice close to home again on L-H bends. The oil light flickers on when braking and turning, and goes out almost immediately. I'm not exactly "Driving Miss Daisy" but certainly not been hammering it.

Am going to do the basics in the morning (fluid checks,etc.) but does anyone have any ideas of possible reason for this happening?

Thansk very much in advance

gareth

Just been driving over the tops (about 20mile each way) and noticed this problem. At first it was on a fairly sharp bend, and then happened twice close to home again on L-H bends. The oil light flickers on when braking and turning, and goes out almost immediately. I'm not exactly "Driving Miss Daisy" but certainly not been hammering it.

Am going to do the basics in the morning (fluid checks,etc.) but does anyone have any ideas of possible reason for this happening?

gareth

Welcome to TOC Gareth :thumbsup:

Firstly is your oil level correct?............................When did you last check the level?

When was the oil last changed or the car serviced?

They do not run forever without some basic attention ;)

gareth

Firstly is your oil level correct?............................When did you last check the level?

Agree with the above comments. CHECK YOUR OIL ! before it's too late and you lose the engine.

Everything checked and yes, the oil was low. Gets checked every couple of months but this will be more regular now - service already booked in for the end of this month. Am starting to feel like the person who calls the IT dept asking why the computer won't switch on and didn't check the plug!

Trawling through other posts I did notice the issue with 02 reg Avensis whereby there was excessive oil consumption. Does anyone know if this was still an issue with later models? Mine is a 04 1.8 model. Doesn't excuse not checking the levels but may have a word with the dealer.

Thanks for your help and apologies for being completely rubbish!

Gareth

Everything checked and yes, the oil was low. Gets checked every couple of months but this will be more regular now - service already booked in for the end of this month. Am starting to feel like the person who calls the IT dept asking why the computer won't switch on and didn't check the plug!

Trawling through other posts I did notice the issue with 02 reg Avensis whereby there was excessive oil consumption. Does anyone know if this was still an issue with later models? Mine is a 04 1.8 model. Doesn't excuse not checking the levels but may have a word with the dealer.

Thanks for your help and apologies for being completely rubbish!

Gareth

There is always an explaination for a problem......................Lets hope that you have not caused any major damage....................You should be alright as you noticed the warning lights and have done something about it................Lesson learnt :) ........................Good Luck :thumbsup:

gareth

Agree with the above comments. CHECK YOUR OIL ! before it's too late and you lose the engine.

agree

no the later petrol engines dont suffer from the oil consumption.

I wouldn't be too sure on that one. The problem is with piston design and I am not sure when they rectified it from factory. Check out this link.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ngine_woes.html

Take it along to your Toyota dealer who will do an oil consumption check on it for you. If it uses more than 1 litre in 1000 miles, (service history withstanding) you should get a new short motor fitted F.O.C.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links