Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 4.1 1998 Rear Fog Switch & Light Warning Light

foxhope

I have a 1998 RAV4 4.1, The headlights have to be on to switch the REAR FOG LIGHT on, the Rear Fog Light switch presses in then returns to its original position (it is not the push in, stay in when switched on type)

The switch has a row of 6 contacts and a row of 2 contacts, does anyone know which contacts/wire colours are used to light up the REAR FOG LIGHT WARNING LAMP in the Instrument Panel?

Do you think it would be possible to use this warning light to show that Front Fog Lights were switched on.

I have fitted a Genuine Toyota RAV4 4.1 Front Fog Light Kit consisting of :

1) a Switch with 2 short lengths of wire that connected to a plug behind the blanking plug next to the rear fog light switch, 2) a relay that plugged in under the bonnet,

3) a fuse that plugged into the fuse box and

4) a wire that connected to the existing socket just behind the radiator crossmember this connected to the two Bosch Foglights

However the switch does not light up and there is no tell tale light on the instrument panel to show the Front Fog Lights are ON, the switch merely has 'OFF' marked on the lower rocker portion, I was wondering if I use a Toyota MR2 or similar Front Foglight switch would I be able to tap into the 'REAR FOG LIGHT WARNING LAMP' so I could use this to show whether the Front OR Rear Fog Lights were on?

I have a 1998 RAV4 4.1, The headlights have to be on to switch the REAR FOG LIGHT on, the Rear Fog Light switch presses in then returns to its original position (it is not the push in, stay in when switched on type)

The switch has a row of 6 contacts and a row of 2 contacts, does anyone know which contacts/wire colours are used to light up the REAR FOG LIGHT WARNING LAMP in the Instrument Panel?

Do you think it would be possible to use this warning light to show that Front Fog Lights were switched on.

I have fitted a Genuine Toyota RAV4 4.1 Front Fog Light Kit consisting of :

1) a Switch with 2 short lengths of wire that connected to a plug behind the blanking plug next to the rear fog light switch, 2) a relay that plugged in under the bonnet,

3) a fuse that plugged into the fuse box and

4) a wire that connected to the existing socket just behind the radiator crossmember this connected to the two Bosch Foglights

However the switch does not light up and there is no tell tale light on the instrument panel to show the Front Fog Lights are ON, the switch merely has 'OFF' marked on the lower rocker portion, I was wondering if I use a Toyota MR2 or similar Front Foglight switch would I be able to tap into the 'REAR FOG LIGHT WARNING LAMP' so I could use this to show whether the Front OR Rear Fog Lights were on?

going from my experience with the 1994 RAV, the fog lamp switch has an in/out switched connection. It also has another 2 connections which is from the swtiched on side to earth via the light inside the switch to indicate when the switch is on. When I had the 6 Cibies fitted, I used two of these lit switches, picking up the feed from the lights as a feed for the switch to the rewlay and then a new Battery feed to the banks of lights, via 2 relays. The extra 2 switches I bought to work the front spots were Toyota fog lamp switches, costing at least £30 each, and both have the ability to light when the switch is on. Maybe you have different switches??

The REAR FOG LIGHT SWITCH on RAV4 4.1 1996 to 1997 is a Press ON 'Stay In', Press again Turn Off Switch in Out position

I believe this switch is illuminated when the side lights are turned on and only has Four wires Red with Silver Fleck, White with Black Trace Brown Fleck, Green Brown Fleck, Red with Green Trace Silver Fleck. When the Side AND Headlights are on and the Rear Fog Light Switch is Turned on the Rear Fog Light and the ORANGE WARNING LIGHT ON THE DASH Comes on.

The RAV 4.1 1998 to 2000 has a Rear Fog Light Switch that looks the same from the front BUT this is a Press ON Switch returns to original out position, Press again for OFF and again switch returns to the original position. This switch has 8 Teminals ALL Connected, 6 in a row and 2 at each end of a second Row, again the switch is lit when the side lights are turned on, and again the rear fog light can only be turned ON when the car light are turned on and the Orange Warning Light on the dash lights up.

(This later Switch is the same as on some Toyota MR2 cars, I don't know what year tho)

I would think there must be a relay or two involved here.

Has anyone seen/ Know where there is a WIRING DIAGRAM for a UK RAV4.1 1998 to 2000?

A GENUINE TOYOTA RAV4 4.1 Front Fog Light KIT I bought contained the following:

(2 Bosch Fog Lights, a Non Illuminated Rocker Switch with 2 two inch wires and a socket, a wire to connect to the plug close to the radiator to go to the front Fog Lights, a fuse and a relay to plug under the bonnet, There was no warning lamp at all!)

This Rocker Switch has 2 TERMINALS is NOT Illuminated and connects to a TWO Terminal Socket taped up behind the blanking plug next to the Rear Fog Light Switch.

This Switch has a Front Fog Light Symbol and 'OFF' marked on it, there is no activation of any Warning Lamp on the Dash or the Switch.

Does any of this help?

Does anyone where there is a WIRING DIAGRAM for a UK RAV4.1 1998 to 2000 especially with the REAR FOG LIGHT SWITCH Wiring Shown ?

The US based Haynes 92082 Manual for RAV4 1996-2002 that I have does not show any Fog Light information.

Does anyone where there is a WIRING DIAGRAM for a UK RAV4.1 1998 to 2000 especially with the REAR FOG LIGHT SWITCH Wiring Shown ?

The US based Haynes 92082 Manual for RAV4 1996-2002 that I have does not show any Fog Light information.

The 'new' Haynes manual now available in the UK is just the USA one reprinted. It has the 2001 onwards circuit.