Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gen 5 Battery And Warning Lights

Cliff1180

Hi,

I have a Gen5 ST183 4WS convertible, Yesterday whilst driving to work my Battery light and another light came on.

My Battery gauge dropped from near the 18v which it always runs at to half way.

I had the Battery checked and it was no good so I bought a new one as it was years old.

The battery warning light is still on and another light that I have not noticed before above the battery light that looks like a boiling sausepan (Top left panel same side as battery light and break light) a poor drawing of the warning light is attached.

I do not know what this light means, I am going to check the voltage tonight on the battery to see if the alternator is charging at all, but wondered if this was a management light that shut down parts of the system.

Any help on what the light means and how to fix the problem would be much appreciated.

Regards

Cliff :(

light.bmp

I have heard from various people that if your alternator is knackered it can ruin a new/healthy battery. It can over/under charge it.

You can't harm a Battery by under charging it, It will just go flat. Over charging will warp the plates and wreck it. A healthy alternator will give you 14v at the Battery.

• 10 years later...

Hey Cliff1180

My st183 has the same two warning lights. Did you remember what the digonosis was?