Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Can Someone Help!

Fizz

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=18290

:help:

Seen this car... looks amazin.. BUT...the 3rd gear is barley usable!...how much would i be looking at for a replacement one.. and this guy seems to think that i can reapr just the 3rd gear!...is this true?

Below is a copy of an e-mail i sent him and his reply above it... please can you guys give me your wisdom and thoughts on the situation...

Cheers in advance... :thumbsup:

==============================================================

Hi

The car is in excellent condition overall, which is why I want £2500 still. To me, the car is worth more. With 3rd gear fixed this car will sell for around £4000 (I know this, because this is the second time I have owned it and I sold it for £4k the last time!).

I have no history for the car, other than a few receipts for works done a couple of years ago. Just odds & sods really, general wear & tear.

The milage, as far as I can work out, is as follows: The odometer currently says 88300. This was converted in 1999 from kilometers to miles. I don't know what the reading was on conversion, but I do know what it was on the earliest MOT that I have (July 2000). The 2000 MOT states 68000 as the odometer reading, so taking this as a conversion point (as it's the best we have) we can assume (approx figures used): 68000km equates to 42000 miles plus the difference in readings between then and now (20000 in miles since our estimated conversion point) gives us approx 62000 miles.

The engine is as sweet as anything I have ever heard. There are no rattles, squeaks or rumbles and it doesn't smoke at all. It fires on the 1st turn and has never failed to start.

Your comments about nursing the car are noted. The car can be driven almost normally (it's not about to fall apart), it is simply that 3rd gear is virtually unusable as it only goes into 3rd now and then. You are quite right, you shouldn't have to nurse a car like this. Repair 3rd gear and you wouldn't have to! Believe me, the rest of the gearbox is a joy to use, nothing wrong with it at all, gear change is lovely.

Whoever buys this car will get a bargain. If you could pick up a second-hand gearbox from somewhere and get it fitted cheap. you would have an awesome car for a good price. With the 18s on it, it really does handle like a roller skate and the overall look of the car is very imposing.

Up to you, my friend. If you don't want the hassle of changing / repairing the 'box, then you should forget about it, but you'll miss a really nice car :o)

Regards

----------------------------------------------------

Steve Levette

Tuesday, 20/01/2004 at 07:19:33

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:27:20 -0000, Faisal Sultan wrote:

> Ello Mate,

>

>

> I really love the ST185 you got for sale.. it is in the colour i

> want as well.. but you said it aint perfect... worrying that your

> still wanting a min of £2.5k considering the cost of a new

> gearbox...and the installation...

>

> What mileage has the car done and what history do you have inc any

> history on the Turbo and if it has been re-conditioned...also how

> much am i looking at for another Gearbox..

>

> You shouldn't have to Nurse any gear in such a beast...means you

> cant drive it like its ment to be driven...

isn't that the same as your car ?

lol...

I think you will find from my last thread that i am looking to upgrade to a GT4.. My current celica is a standard GT..

Fizz.

If you can wait, then I am sure you will find something better.

£2500 with a dead clutch sounds very high. I think its very overpriced.

The car has no history which is not good when the car has been here nearly 5 years. What makes it worse is that the guy has owned it before, which makes it even worse that there is no history.

Why doesn't the owner get the gearbox replaced and bump the price up to make a profit? as its sounds barely driveable.

Does it have a current MOT?

If I were you I wouldn't go near it.

These comments come from the girl who spent 9 months looking for an excellent condition ST185 2 years ago (garages only), it didn't exist. I had to opt for an MR2 instead.

mmmm I dont know what these sell for, but with the 3rd gear syncromesh gone (if it is!!) no service history "apart from a few bits and bobs" and a starting price of 2495 I think I'd tend to look for something else.

The 3rd gear is repairable on its own, but unless your good with the spanners its going to be expensive.

He says its going to be worth 4k when its fixed, if it was going to be cheap to do he'd do it and sell it for its proper asking price.

HTH

mmmm I dont know what these sell for, but with the 3rd gear syncromesh gone (if it is!!) no service history "apart from a few bits and bobs" and a starting price of 2495 I think I'd tend to look for something else.

The 3rd gear is repairable on its own, but unless your good with the spanners its going to be expensive.

He says its going to be worth 4k when its fixed, if it was going to be cheap to do he'd do it and sell it for its proper asking price.

HTH

was thinking the same..just wanted to hear it from other people as well... ;) :(

And cheers for the reply Nicola.. I hear what ya sayin... and with regards to the MR2.. I would choose a tubby but not in my price range and no where near as practile as the GT4... :(

Dont rush into anything m8, there are soooooo many GT4'S out there that you can afford to take your time until you fine one that you are 100% sure about.

:thumbsup:

Dont rush into anything m8, there are soooooo many GT4'S out there that you can afford to take your time until you fine one that you are 100% sure about.

:thumbsup:

well you knwo what to do if you come across one in my price range mate.. :thumbsup:

what do you peeps make of this one?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200402125289623

I have spoken to the guy before and he has said that is all the documents he has for the car.. there is no mention that the Turbo has ever been replaced or reconditioned..

he did tell me that he is a bit of a car nut.. and has had the turbo out when servicing the car and said that the abrings are fine and that it is free flowing...

What do you peeps think?

Good car or bad car? for price...

Pictures are worth a thousand words.............but not when it comes to cars they're not.

A £50 scrapper can look good in a pic.

Even though I know a fair amount about cars, I always take someone else with me for a second opinion as you can easily become blinded as you want to buy it and tend to skip over the bad parts.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.............but not when it comes to cars they're not.

A £50 scrapper can look good in a pic.

Even though I know a fair amount about cars, I always take someone else with me for a second opinion as you can easily become blinded as you want to buy it and tend to skip over the bad parts.

went and saw one today..

Have to say that it was a wasted journey as the car was rustin in the wrong places...Took a mate who woks as a mechanic for Toyota...

ohh.. and on a side note.. my car is up for sale now in the for sale section..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links