Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling Noise On Avensis D4d 2.2

mikelis

Two weeks ago bought a 57 plate 2.2D4D (16,000 miles) and have noticed a prominent whistling noise when even slightly accelerating. I thought it might be a turbo fault with air coming through the pipes. Have tried another 2.2D4D (08 plate) and whistling noise not there, only when under hard acceleration. I took mine back to the dealers, they inspected pipes to turbo etc and reported no fault and told me to keep an eye on the noise and report it at my next service.

Anyone any ideas of what might be the problem? Plus early days I know but only seem to be getting 36 mpg although I do a lot of 'urban' driving - is that an expected MPG return?

Two weeks ago bought a 57 plate 2.2D4D (16,000 miles) and have noticed a prominent whistling noise when even slightly accelerating. I thought it might be a turbo fault with air coming through the pipes. Have tried another 2.2D4D (08 plate) and whistling noise not there, only when under hard acceleration. I took mine back to the dealers, they inspected pipes to turbo etc and reported no fault and told me to keep an eye on the noise and report it at my next service.

Anyone any ideas of what might be the problem? Plus early days I know but only seem to be getting 36 mpg although I do a lot of 'urban' driving - is that an expected MPG return?

Hi Mikelis

The similar issue has been reported on here and the problem was with air hoses.

But in case deealers told all is in order with them, check with driving belt/tension role, as well as exhaust leak from gasket or silencer.

I can not see any others.

By the way -- look --- the similar noise is heard when turbocharger is workiing fine having reached a designed RMP and sucting noise is very similar.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Mikelis

But in case deealers told all is in order with them, check with driving belt/tension role, as well as exhaust leak from gasket or silencer.

By the way -- look --- the similar noise is heard when turbocharger is workiing fine having reached a designed RMP and sucting noise is very similar.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

I am sure it is not just the usual noise of the turbocharger because as I have said I have driven another Avensis with sthe ame engine and whistling noise is not nearly as loud.... but will check driving belt etc...

Hi Mikelis

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

I am sure it is not just the usual noise of the turbocharger because as I have said I have driven another Avensis with sthe ame engine and whistling noise is not nearly as loud.... but will check driving belt etc...

Mikelis

I could be agree with you, but you state you ve driving another one -- OK trhe same engine + the same T/C but have you evaluate the rate of carbon deposits inside ob each T/C ???? I feel no -- OK it also must be considered. Even though you ve heard this noise at more load then yours - it might be your T/C condition is better.

In any case your observations as well as the result is very much interrested for all of us.

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links