Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1 Week On !

dervnut

Hi All,

After several years of BMW ownership 330D Saloon, 320M Sport Coupe, 530DSE Saloon and finally 320DM Sport Saloon, i have finally broken away (yes, it was a wrench, honestly). The main reason for the change was to aquire something that is a lot easier for my elderly relatives to get in and out of, (don,t like the BMW X3) and the Rav certainly fills this requirement well! I looked at the Honde CRV, but was really not taken with the quality of the trim and the noisy engine, in fact my wife used the word "tractor". Its been 2 weeks now with the new Rav 4 XT-R D-4D 140, bought just in time for the bad weather that has affected most of us, and i have come to the following conclusions;

Good points: exceptionally good in bad weather conditions, excellent interior space, good build quality, easy to drive, (even my wife agrees), very good handling, excellent discounts to be had, and finally a really comfortable ride.

Bad points; lacks the torque that i thought a 2.2 engine would have, maybe this will improve when i get few miles on it, noisy induction noise when accellerating (is there a cure for this?) and, a minor point, the aerial is too long for a standard height garage. (now fitted a "Bee-sting")

Do i regret the change, no, not for one minute. Very much looking forward to belonging to this site for all the information that is available. (does anyone have an answer for the induction noise????)

All the best to all,

Dervnut

lacks the torque that i thought a 2.2 engine would have

Chip it, get an extra 20% boost out of the old girl ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi All,

After several years of BMW ownership 330D Saloon, 320M Sport Coupe, 530DSE Saloon and finally 320DM Sport Saloon, i have finally broken away (yes, it was a wrench, honestly). The main reason for the change was to aquire something that is a lot easier for my elderly relatives to get in and out of, (don,t like the BMW X3) and the Rav certainly fills this requirement well! I looked at the Honde CRV, but was really not taken with the quality of the trim and the noisy engine, in fact my wife used the word "tractor". Its been 2 weeks now with the new Rav 4 XT-R D-4D 140, bought just in time for the bad weather that has affected most of us, and i have come to the following conclusions;

Good points: exceptionally good in bad weather conditions, excellent interior space, good build quality, easy to drive, (even my wife agrees), very good handling, excellent discounts to be had, and finally a really comfortable ride.

Bad points; lacks the torque that i thought a 2.2 engine would have, maybe this will improve when i get few miles on it, noisy induction noise when accellerating (is there a cure for this?) and, a minor point, the aerial is too long for a standard height garage. (now fitted a "Bee-sting")

Do i regret the change, no, not for one minute. Very much looking forward to belonging to this site for all the information that is available. (does anyone have an answer for the induction noise????)

All the best to all,

Dervnut

Hi Dervnut + welcome, I had the earlier model rav (4.2) prior to my current (4.3) and have not noticed any significant induction noise, but you have changed from various BMs so maybe in comparison it is noisier, I have not seen a post on here mentioning induction noise so assumidly we are all happy, now bearing in mind that I am the forum idiot who knows Zilch about anything mechanical, the only time i noticed induction noise, was when i tried a Different airfilter (K+N) so just wondering as your car is obviously new if maybe the air filter cover is properly clipped down, or very very unlikely someone has not put one in :unsure: other than that i would mention it to your dealer..Again you have come from some quite sporty motors so your rav may not seem as torquey but they are no slouch either, Kingo has mentioned "chipping" your car which will improve the Torque, I have had one in mine since almost new + if you want to go that route either Kingo who can supply + fit them or myself will answer anything you need to know :thumbsup: Cheers Mate (Stew)

Hi mate and welcome to the club, just think you've went from owning the most hated car on the road, to owning

a 4X4 which to some is the devil incarnate :lol::lol:

I'm on my second Rav, and bought mine for all the reasons you stated above, which the Rav does admirably. Also

changed to a bee-sting, and if you fancy buying a full size spare to put in the boot I can show you a photo of how

much space you lose standing it vertically between seat back and parcel shelf bar (20%) And i still get a wheelchair

in no bother. Give the Rav a chance to run in, and yourself a chance to get used to all the new noises that your beemers

didn't make (remember its got double the amount of drive train bits and other stuff) and it will be fine. Enjoy :thumbsup:

PS, remember to post some photos.

Thanks Kingo. Maybe i will have a re-map at some point. Don.t wish to invalidate the warranty just yet.*i had re-maps done on a couple of the BM,s and boy did they fly!

Second the chip, it will defiantly have more noticeable grunt.

Ours does 41mpg combined which is excellent for the size. With a chip its even more, mid 40's and i dont hang around and easily 50+ on a run.

I think the rav4 xtr 2.2 is a great all round package. Esp. for us as a family.

Check with parts king but i didnt think chipping invalidated the warranty. At least i thought the manufacturer had to prove any fault was caused by the chip. You just removed it for serving anyway.

Check first :)

Hi All,

All the best to all,

Dervnut

Hi Dervnut + welcome, I had the earlier model rav (4.2) prior to my current (4.3) and have not noticed any significant induction noise, but you have changed from various BMs so maybe in comparison it is noisier, I have not seen a post on here mentioning induction noise so assumidly we are all happy, now bearing in mind that I am the forum idiot who knows Zilch about anything mechanical, the only time i noticed induction noise, was when i tried a Different airfilter (K+N) so just wondering as your car is obviously new if maybe the air filter cover is properly clipped down, or very very unlikely someone has not put one in :unsure: other than that i would mention it to your dealer..Again you have come from some quite sporty motors so your rav may not seem as torquey but they are no slouch either, Kingo has mentioned "chipping" your car which will improve the Torque, I have had one in mine since almost new + if you want to go that route either Kingo who can supply + fit them or myself will answer anything you need to know :thumbsup: Cheers Mate (Stew)

Hi Stew,

Will open up the bonnet 1st thing Sat and check the air filter. Make a good starting point. Will keep ypu informed.

Thanks

Dervnut

if yer ever aroon, I'll gie ye a hurl in number 1. Its just had its turbo boost upped and its timing advanced and theres a rare whoosh offof the turbo when it hits 3000rpm on full throttle.....then it just takes off right up to 6500rpm !!!!

With the straicht thru exhaust an the turbo, ah dinna bovver much about noise.....just laugh at the BMWs parked up behind :lol: :lol:

Have been looking at a Rav4 for similair reasons, ie it would be easier for my elderly mother to get in and out of and also there should be a whopping discount for SUVs in the present economic climate(WhatCar?s price to pay guide has the XTR down as £17600-00).Might just ask for a test drive this week,work permitting.

Leckyman, if you happen to do your test drive in the snow, you will immediately get your cheque book out and pay whatever they ask. You have been warned!

Thanks Kingo. Maybe i will have a re-map at some point. Don.t wish to invalidate the warranty just yet.*i had re-maps done on a couple of the BM,s and boy did they fly

Just on a point, I am told + stand to be corrected that re-mapping of Toyotas is not possible you have to "chip" them..When i took delivery of my car i was talking to the service manager + the salesman and I mentioned having it chipped, I found it hilarious as they both lowered their voices like naughty schoolboys and admitted that both their company cars were "chipped"..When i asked would it affect the warrantee the service manager said.(not as long as they knew i had one fitted) god knows what that meant :unsure: Anyway the most you are going to get out of "chipping" is 165bhp + we all know the same basic engine gives 177bhp in the 180 version, so their shouldn't be any reliability issues, If you are going to have it done buy one off Kingo but first ask your local dealer if they would fit it for you as most dealers will have done them before (but remember to whisper when you ask them) :D :D

Hi All,

My RAV 4.3 aerial was also too long - I just cut a few inches off it and put a black pen cap on it with araldite, it works fine - my 4.2 RAV had a shorter and more flexible aerial which was much better.

Guy

All the best to all,

Dervnut

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links