Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Fault C1203

foxmanonly1

I have a problem with '05 avensis d4d. The VSC and traction control off lights are coming on. the fault code thats coming up is C1203 Engine Control system communication circuit Malfunction, any ideas?

To foxmanonly1,

ABS outlet valve coil rear circuit open. Just read code of generic sheet, must be honest have never come across this code before at work.

Sorry. Hope this points you in the right direction.

Good luck, Beagh.

That fault code that u discribed isnt the same as de code reader is giving me. is the code reader wrong? When i stick that fault into google 'C1203' it throws up the same as u described but when you search 'C1203 avensis' it gives the decription that i have. Is this fault code specific to toyota? I know EOBD codes are all standerised but i thought if the code started with C1XXX it was manufacturer specific. Also is there a software update for this car on the traction control system?

Manufacturers i suppose got together at some stage?. They must have produced a standard set of codes for all cars 2001/2 onwards ( Generic Codes) in conjunction with OBD11 protocal. But take Mercs for example they have a multitude of electronic modules that must lead to extra codes specific to a particular vehicle, i cannot see that Toyota would be any different.

Have to be honest & say i'm stuck, as code supplied is as stated in first posting. I think you might find that you have a couple of Toyota mechanics on Forum who may come across your posting & may be of more help.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Am not aware of any software updates for traction control. You could do dealer search for your county & ask. All dealers over this side are Part of

Hogans Group. I will look through codes again & see if i can spot something, will post on Sunday if i can help.

If i remember correctly - this code means you will require a new ABS ecu/pump

Mart.

If i remember correctly - this code means you will require a new ABS ecu/pump

Mart.

That mightened be the news ive been lookin for, if it wasnt too much hastle could ya check that out for me? If you get a car in to ur garage with that fault code showing, what is your procedure? What is the toyota procedure?By the way a saff cosworth is a legend of a car even if its not built in japan!

Lads, is there anyone else who can shed some light on this fault code? even the chaps in toyota are a bit stumped

To foxmanonly1,

Sorry for late reply but i spoke to lad i know in Toyota in Shannon. He suggested as moonstone mart pointed out it could well be ABS module, but that is at a guess, would have to plug hardware in to confirm. Cannot understand why your local dealer cannot read off code as this is a standard Generic code.

Regards, Beagh.

Forgot about this sorry.

The procedure for this fault is to check for an open or short in the harness and connector between the Skid control ECU and ECM.

If no faults are found with the wiring, then - the MIL stays off when ignition on but engine not running (Requires ECM replacing)

- the MIL comes on when ignition on but engine not running (requires ABS & traction actuator assembly)

These parts wont be cheap so i hope its a wiring fault :)

If you take it to a Toyota dealership they should be able to do this for you pretty easily.

Mart.

Cheers for your reply. After a lot of phone calls i eventually got that info outa toyota. I went checkin the contnuity between the ecm which i think is the engine control unit?, and the abs unit? is that right or am i way off? the ecm is behind the glove box n the traction control unit and the abs unit are all the one?

To foxmanonly,

You are correct, ECM unit is behind glove box to your right. You will find yor ABS module in engine bay, not rocket science its the alloy block with all your brake pipes attached.

Regards, Beagh.

To foxmanonly,

You are correct, ECM unit is behind glove box to your right. You will find yor ABS module in engine bay, not rocket science its the alloy block with all your brake pipes attached.

Regards, Beagh.

cheers for that, i was wondering what thing with the pipes was, uve cleared that right up for me n heres me thinkin is was a high pressure pump for the screenwash

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links