Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust In Door

Steve@Aberdeen

Just noticed rust in the bottom of the rear nearside door of my 4.3 Rav4:

door.jpg

The offside door appears fine. A few stone chips here and there around the car (only to be expected after 50,000 miles) but no others are showing rust.

Anyone else noticed this in their two and a bit year old Rav4?

I could rub it down and treat it myself (used to be doing it regularly to cars in my youth - before galvanizing was common) but will be booking it in for its 50k service next week, so will get the dealer onto it.

Certain types of Corrosion would be covered by the Toyota Corrosion Gtee would be worth seeing what toyota Dealer says.

My RAV4 4.1s (1996 & 1998) never had a spot of corrosion or rust on the painted body work even the 11 year old VX alloys only have 2 spots on the whole set.

My RAV4 4.2 (2003) D4D had lots of spots inside door & tailgate shuts & under the bonnet & The alloy wheels were corroding so I had to get them bead blasted & Powder coated.

I don't think they make them like they used to :wacko:

Did they work on that door when you had the accident?

As was recently commented, mine shows signs of surface rust on the heavy metal parts underneath (suspension arms, sub frames etc) but not noticed any on the bodywork.

I will look closer tomorrow but I would be very dissapointed to find that.

Surely that is covered under the bodywork warranty

Just noticed rust in the bottom of the rear nearside door of my 4.3 Rav4:

door.jpg

The offside door appears fine. A few stone chips here and there around the car (only to be expected after 50,000 miles) but no others are showing rust.

Anyone else noticed this in their two and a bit year old Rav4?

I could rub it down and treat it myself (used to be doing it regularly to cars in my youth - before galvanizing was common) but will be booking it in for its 50k service next week, so will get the dealer onto it.

what reg is it? thats bad

Looks to me like its been banged on the edge

I would doubt it is covered, The wording external influence may be used by Toyota

Looking again Im guessing it may be frt edge

Does the door stick out og align to frt door or wing

Yaris ahd this issues hence the clear stickers everywhere on the rear arches

That is very disappointing. Nothing like that on mine, which is approximately the same age (although about half the mileage) and I too plough through salt and grit all winter. Technical data show that all of the car body except the roof are made of "anti-corrosion sheet steel", that is, galvanized. On the bottom part of the door there is an additional layer of anti-chip coating. Like Shutty says, something must have happened to damage the coating and the zinc and expose the steel underneath to oxygen. The nearside gets more grit and muck from the side of the road slung at it than the offside but even so it seems pretty early for this kind of corrosion.

Hope you can get it sorted out under warranty.

get a paint depth test done, Toyota will check the thickness of the paint

Anything over about 130 microgrammes and its been repainted

don't have anything like that on my 3 door 4.1

rust underneath on the suspension bits etc will force me to have it all checked this summer.

surely that is covered under the 12 year perferation warrantee ?

People think all sorts of rust is covered under the perforation warranty........it isnt! :no:

12 year g/tee for rust perforation is when the rust comes from the INSIDE out, so surface rust is not covered.

This is most likely caused by a break in the paint caused by a door being caught on the kerb or similar. Get it looked at by your dealers bodyshop, as mentioned above, they will measure the thickness of paint and if it is below minimum will sort it out, if it is damaged, it will be down to you

Kingo :thumbsup:

The door is properly aligned though it was resprayed a couple years ago (to repair scratches in the main panel). The respray shouldn't have affected galvanizing if it was properly applied as they would not have needed to blast the panel down to bare metal (even the scratched area). As a metallurgist who (many years ago) was responsible for paint systems applied to offshore equipment, I probably know enough to say this rust indicates substandard factory treatment - one of the reasons for galvanizing steel is because surface damage should not lead to significant rusting.

I wondered if anyone else had had the problem as it would have given me a stronger case to argue. However, if Toyota claim it's the responsibility of the respray shop*, I'll not argue - I'll pay them to fix it so that they should then be taking the liability should it return. They'll go down in my esteem, though and lose a mark on the next satisfaction survey (and be a tad less likely to sell me my next car or two).

*I wasn't impressed with the respray shop's work and wouldn't put it back there - it was an insurance job and they were the insurer's nominated shop.

Most Insurance backed bodyshops give a 3yr warranty on their work

I personally would be very surpirsed if Toyota accept it as warranty after a paint repair of any kind, Basically all warranty on a repaired/repainted panel is null and void if done outside the Toyota network which is the same of any manufacturer with some insisting on annual inspections at the dealer.

In the old days Toyota issued paint certificates to maintain the warranty period on any repaired panels done by them.

The door is properly aligned though it was resprayed a couple years ago (to repair scratches in the main panel). The respray shouldn't have affected galvanizing if it was properly applied as they would not have needed to blast the panel down to bare metal (even the scratched area). As a metallurgist who (many years ago) was responsible for paint systems applied to offshore equipment, I probably know enough to say this rust indicates substandard factory treatment - one of the reasons for galvanizing steel is because surface damage should not lead to significant rusting.

I wondered if anyone else had had the problem as it would have given me a stronger case to argue. However, if Toyota claim it's the responsibility of the respray shop*, I'll not argue - I'll pay them to fix it so that they should then be taking the liability should it return. They'll go down in my esteem, though and lose a mark on the next satisfaction survey (and be a tad less likely to sell me my next car or two).

*I wasn't impressed with the respray shop's work and wouldn't put it back there - it was an insurance job and they were the insurer's nominated shop.

Steve

I did check mine and it is as good as the day it was painted.

However, as shown on the attached pdf that part of the door should have an undercoating of rubberised paint. Mine is actually "lumpy" to touch as you can feel the rubberised coating underneath. Do you think they removed the old paint and never bothered with that coating?

Rust_resist.pdf

Lo there... :lol:

Sorry to see that on your door mate... :(

I just had to put my rav in for some work at MR Ts' expense. One of my door trimms came loose so they replaced it and at the same time I pointed out to them that on the rear door there was surface rust on part of the locking mechanism(I think - its a grey block that when you close the door connects with a bit on the door frame... :huh: ) anywho they replaced that at their expense... Jobs a goodn... :D

Regards

Rob

Most Insurance backed bodyshops give a 3yr warranty on their work

I personally would be very surpirsed if Toyota accept it as warranty after a paint repair of any kind, Basically all warranty on a repaired/repainted panel is null and void if done outside the Toyota network which is the same of any manufacturer with some insisting on annual inspections at the dealer.

In the old days Toyota issued paint certificates to maintain the warranty period on any repaired panels done by them.

The bodyshop that recently worked on my car gave me a lifetime guarantee for as long as I own the car. They were recommended by the Toyota dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it in for its 50k service yesterday and the dealer's taken photo's to get Toyota's OK to fix under warranty. They're a first rate dealer and agree it should not be like that - but it's down to Mr T to decide if he'll pay.

Will let you know outcome.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links