Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla...removing Radio And Installing Cd Changer

corolla19

Hi Charlton

What changer do you have? Is it a Toyota-own changer, or another make?

Changer you can install just about anywhere, most places are, in the glovebox, under passenger seat ( :thumbsup::thumbsup: just lean over to change cartridge) or in the boot.

Removing Centre Console

About half way down, is how to remove the console, any probs, let me know.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Hi Bing,

I read ur post on removing the central console. But did not understand y u have to remove gearbox panels, and what panels are u exactly talking about?

Any suggestions on how to remove the glovebox? You see, i love my rolla too much to heck away panels without knowing what exactly i should be doing....i'm sure u understand :yes:

so... thanks a lot for you time

Hi Man-bing

I've a question for you.

When you replaced the stereo\airvent housing, did you find any problems with gaps above the unit.

Dixon Motors installed a 6 disc in dask changer and completely <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed up the central console and have left a 7mm gap above the stereo\air vent housing. It's been back to them but they say that it's been done correctly (My *****) :censor: :censor: :censor: . I've lived with it like that for 2 years now and i've decided i'm going to try and fix it.

Therefore

Is are there any securing clips that connect the top of this housing to the dash to pull the gap closed?

Any suggestions you can give will be gratefully recieved :thumbsup:

Hi Charlton

Which model Rolla do you have, T2, T3, T-Spirit (mine), T-Sport?

The main centre console is one unit, the ashtray, compartment above it, mines got AC controls and clock, all that is one unit.

To make it easier to remove it, just move the gearstick cover, and the contre console comes away as one unit, take your time, as it was a bit of a struggle to remove it first time.

I think the glove box was just a matter of a few screws from each side, can't remember, but still very simple to take out.

The cabling might be a bit of a prob to hide, but still very easy to install.

But how you going to over come the securing of the changer, you would need to make a few holes to secure it down, otherwise it will rattle about and might even jump CD :eek:

-------------------------------------

Hi Degringo

Yes i suffer with the same problem as well, about a 5mm gap, it does push back in on mine, but after a few corners, it works lose again. :ffs:

I've yet to solve it yet, but may resort to some silcone, to stick it in place, as i think it would be easier to remove later, than using glue or anything.

I think Toyota must do the same think, as it was a B :censor: to remove first time

Will let you know, if i get it sorted

Bing

I would be careful when using silicone. If you will need to remove the centre panel in the future, u might find it difficult ! <_<

bing.... my model is the standard rolla with abs, manual aircon, front electric windows, 5dr.

I got the clock in the radio display panel.

I just tried to figure out how to remove the center panel to get access to the back of the radio....man i did not figure out anything? from where do i start pulling ?

Sounds like you got either a T2 / T3

Remove the gearstick area, but not the drinks holder, remove the ashtray, and pull from there.

There's nothing you can damage, just pushable clips, which easily clips back in, when your done, no hidden screws, give it a tug :thumbsup:

If your still having trouble, i'll take a few pics to show you :thumbsup:

Bing

if it's not a problem for you, please take some pics.

i'm in no hurry at all, so please do it at your own leisure.

thanks a lot for your help and i'm sure others having the same problem will be as grateful.

thanks mate :)

just been to my dealers to complain about my gap(5mm)again,which they cured once (probably just shoved it back in, but worked back out after a week). this time there booked it in for a dashboard modification, i'm not too sure what this involves but it did sound like a new part was going to be fitted.

davidlister,

can you please keep us updated re your gap.

please ask them what they did exactly.

Hope they cure it for you ! :D

cheers

hi again.

well, they obviously know about this problem on early models, they tried to sort it out(by removing some of the padding), but in the end they have ordered a new top dash as the molding has been changed to improve fit on the later models. :thumbsup:

D'oh!!!! :censor: :censor:

No wonder, mine won't ever go back in then :crybaby::crybaby:

Sounds like i've got to de-install my current H/U with factory, and get them to sort it out.

There must be an easier way to do it than that???

Bing

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I also have the same problem with the gap above the stereo/ac vent. This happened when I brought my Corolla Altis 1.6G (similar to the console of the pics from man-bing) to check a noisy sound on the right hand side of the dashboard. According to the dealer they removed the dashboard and tighten some screws. The noisy sound was gone but I noticed the gap after that. Is it possible to fix this problem by myself?

One more thing, how do you remove your stereo?

I think I a asked too many questions, thank in advance for helping me.

hey guys

I have have changed the standard unit on my 2003 corolla

no gaps no rattles perfect fit

using a plate that I got from toyota sa

I have a pict but I dont know to add it,

just so I know we are talking about the same thing

someone help

Hello there!

I have a 2002 Corolla D4D, and I tried to remove the centre panel following yours instructions but it was impossible for me!.

Here are the steps I follow:

1- Remove the middle heating vent and the screw which is under it.

2- Try to grab the plastic bar between the heating vents and the stereo (impossible)

3- I removed the gearstick area and the ashtray and tried to pull but it was impossible too. I saw two screws when removing gearstick area, do I have to remove them too?

Any help ?

Thank you!

koki...

follow the instructions and just pull them(....first center console, then unscrew 4 srews and on the end air vents with radio) out without fear.....but be gentle...

You may need some kind of jack or screwdriver...

Instructions are OK.

Hi koki142

If your still having problems of how to remove the audio section from the dashboard, then i shall do some pics, to show you what i did, as i need to remove it again, as my H/U is faulty, and needs to be replaced with another one during repair.

A few other people have tried my instructions of how to remove it, and none of them have said of having any problems.

Will get some pics to show you.

Bing

it seems that I have to pull harder, when I remove the screw under the air controls, I have to pull but.... what should go out? the air controls and the glove compartment together?, or also the part where the buttons are (A/C, Hazard buttons...).

I could remove sucesfully the gearbox area, the ashtray, and then I pull with no success (I'm afraid of breaking something). Any tips?

Man-Bing, your photos sure will be very helpful for me !!!

By the way, I'm trying to install a Sony CD-MP3 Changer in the Toyota Corolla using a MTYS001 interface which allows it (teorically)... :drool: if I can do it is thanks to all of you!.

If I were near you, I will pay some :beer:

Hi Koki

Are you sure that the Sony Changer will work in the toyota??? :help:

On my T-Spirit, i removed the gear stick cover then surround, removed the centre console (ashtray, cubby compartment, AC controls and clock) as one unit, right up to air vents and audio, removed the 4 screws underneath it, and slowly pulled the air vents / H/U out as one, but will need some pressure, but will come out.

Will try and show what i'm doing on pics, but won't be easy.

Bing

Hi man-bing!

Thanks again for your help.

About the Sony Changer, there is one company which ensures that his interface will make the cd changer to work in 2002 Toyota Corollas. As I can found in internet, it seems is true, so I will give it a try. But the question is that the interface is only compatible with some radio casete units, that's why I want to extract it, to see what model my car mounts.

The problem I have is with the centre console, I could remove the ashtray, but the one unit you tell (cubby compartment, AC controls) is the one I could not extract properly... It is easy to extract it or it needs some strengh?. Also when I remove the gear stick cover, I saw two screws but I think they are not of the one unit we are talking about.

Also you did not mention anything about the screw which is under the middle AC Control, I think the model of car is different than mine....

Koki :unsure:

Hi Koki

I have pics of the OEM H/U in the garage, if you wanna, can either e-mail it to you, or i'll find somewhere to post it.

The main centre console, is fairly easy to take out, but does need a bit of a wiggle, and a bit of strength, but nothing major.

You only need to remove the gear stick cover, in order to make it easier to remove the centre console.

The only screws you need to remove, are the four under the H/U, but will try and show you what i mean in the pics (soon i hope, very busy at the mo...)

Bing

I have just come from the car, and it was f :censor: impossible to remove the central unit, no way. Tried hard, but I only hurt one of my fingers :crybaby:

My car doesn't have automatic temperature, just three controllers for the air, but also I found instructions in internet for removing it without success.

Perhaps my model is a special one??? :blink::blink:

If you can show me the photos, you will solve my life !!!!

Again, thank for your effort :yes::yes:

Looks like i'll be ripping my car to bits then on Sunday morning :thumbsup:

Which model do you have then, T3? :help:

I'm sure it can't be that much different.. :help:

Bing