Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fixed Towbar With Parking Sensors

matty2767

is it possible to fit a fixed towbar and have it not interfere with the parking sensors. by this i mean if you unbolt the tow ball will the bracket be out of the reach of the sensors. i dont use the trailer much anymore and so to have the luxury of having a detachable towbar isnt worth the extra £100 or so to me.

thanks

matt

Hi Matt,

i think you mean when the trailer is not attached if thats what you mean then i can assure you that i have a fixed tow bar fitted to mine and the distance it sticks out does not interfere with the sensors, however it can be a pain from the bleeping inside the vehicle when trailer is attached.

Matt,

You can now get a towbar system that allows you to remove the towbar via a lynch pin method. All the fittings stay in play, only the bar removes & taks seconds to remove & fit.

This way it would put your mind at ease. But I don't think a std fitting would interfere with the sensors though.

Cheers,

Marama

thanks for the replies guys. i was worried that by having a 'normal' towbar that it would be picked up by the sensors and and i would get a constant bleeping inside the car thus making the sensors pointless. my sensors pick up kerbs and low level objects which is why i thought it better to go for a detachable system.

on my car i can switch off the sensors when pulling trailers and such. there is a little button in the boot.

matt

I have a factory fit towbar & factory fit reversing sensors which work great. As you mentioned, there is a switch in the boot to turn off the sensors when you are towing.

I have a factory fit towbar & factory fit reversing sensors which work great. As you mentioned, there is a switch in the boot to turn off the sensors when you are towing.

Maybe you have the TPA800 ( like i have :thumbsup: and yes indeed than there,s a switch in the booth to turn the sensors OFF ( and on again :thumbsup: )

my sensors are factory fitted too, but i have never noticed a switch in the boot to turn them off, can someone direct me roughly where it would be located?